Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Originaly by chaos6403
Quote:
Any updates pianosound?...Im looking into the i7 aswell
Sorry for slow reply!!!! Been having too much fun! PT8 running fine on new i7,,, at this point I'm still working on the little things,, like I can only run solid conisistantly on 1024 buffer rate, but I think its because of my siig firewire, which is supported by PT, but its an old PCI firewire card that I pulled from my old P4 PC. I'm thinking that if I get a newer one,,, PCIe would run better!!??? The cpu hardly ever gets over 20%,, so I think that the firewire change would help on the buffer rate. As far as working,,, very little to no latency with VI's and although I have not used a lot of tracks yet, I feel it to be stable and quite fast. PT8 shows 8 cores in the play back engine, so I feel that I'm fairly well set up for any future updates, (hoping for Windows 7, 64 bit, and PT to finaly GET ThERE!!)
If there is anything else worth reporting You can be sure I'll let you all know!
PS--- downloading PT8, Waves plugs, MP Toolkit, and all, went without a hitch,,, simply download and play!!!! Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 AM

hi pianoman
why did you go for the Corsair 750 W PSU,, when the case comes with standard 450W supply?
any results with big racks of VIs including strike?
cheers
rikttt
PTLE8.x Mbox, Sibelius, Record, Reason, i7 D0, UD3R rev1.6, GEIL 6GB KIT EVO ONE C9 2000Mhz, Noctua NH-U12P SE1366, CavBlacks 2x 500G + 1xT, SAPPHIRE HD 2400PRO 256MB SILENT, CORSAIR 750W, Novation Remote SL37, Win7.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:59 AM

i ran my i7 in my first session last night, tracking at all 64 with no probs. i am using an pcie firewire card. stock one from best buy, an siig i believe. might be worth looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
Originaly by chaos6403
Sorry for slow reply!!!! Been having too much fun! PT8 running fine on new i7,,, at this point I'm still working on the little things,, like I can only run solid conisistantly on 1024 buffer rate, but I think its because of my siig firewire, which is supported by PT, but its an old PCI firewire card that I pulled from my old P4 PC. I'm thinking that if I get a newer one,,, PCIe would run better!!??? The cpu hardly ever gets over 20%,, so I think that the firewire change would help on the buffer rate. As far as working,,, very little to no latency with VI's and although I have not used a lot of tracks yet, I feel it to be stable and quite fast. PT8 shows 8 cores in the play back engine, so I feel that I'm fairly well set up for any future updates, (hoping for Windows 7, 64 bit, and PT to finaly GET ThERE!!)
If there is anything else worth reporting You can be sure I'll let you all know!
PS--- downloading PT8, Waves plugs, MP Toolkit, and all, went without a hitch,,, simply download and play!!!! Mike

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-06-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
why did you go for the Corsair 750 W PSU,, when the case comes with standard 450W supply?
any results with big racks of VIs including strike?
Actually this case came withaout power supply,,, which was good for me,,, I have 3 HD's, plan to add more, the 750 W Corsair was priced right, and if it only had 450 W,,, I don't think for my future needs that it would quite do the job???!!! Not real sure but I know that this Corsair had all the connections I needed, and give me power to spare.
I messed around with strike, structure, and a few others,, all work fine, but being an older guy (not all that old),, I'm very used to the keyboards and rack sound modules that I have used with PT back when the 001 1st came out. The only VI that I have found to have the quality I need is Synthogy's Ivory,,, which is just piano. But I'll have to admit, the sounds that I'm hearing with these VI's that came with PT8 aren't bad at all??!!!! I might actually have to put them to work on a few projects,, and see what they actually can do!

Quote:
i ran my i7 in my first session last night, tracking at all 64 with no probs. i am using an pcie firewire card. stock one from best buy, an siig i believe. might be worth looking into.
Thanks guitardom,, I was wondering if maybe a PCIe might be better with the i7??!! Something newer and faster!! One thing Ive encountered with my Asus MOBO, is that I have not been able to dissable RAID!! I dissabled it in the device manager, but on restart, I see the RAID "OK" load , so don't think that the device manager did the job??? Any thoughts,, I've been inside and out of the BIOS, but see now where to turn it off. But then I'm no PC expert, nor am I real familiar with the BIOS. Never needed to touch it in the past except to set boot priority after building. PT has always just worked great right out of the box,,, never needed to tweak anything!!
Anyone with RAID knowledge have any suggestions, what am I missing??
Also, Ive been following (in my spare time) your posts below (guitardom) and noticed you mentioned, I think, the need to set your RAM speed in the BIOS. Mine is set at auto??!! Which I assumed would be fine????
I'm running 1600 triple channel,,, thanks for any thoughts,,,,,,

Mike
Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0GHz | Asus Z97-Pro LGA 1150 Intel 6Gb | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 2400 | Asus GT640 Silent 2 GB GDDR3 | Samsung 850 Pro SSD's, WD Caviar Black HDD's | PSU Corsair 750W ATX12V | Windows 10 | Presonus Studio One | 003R PT's 12.8 | Waves Platinum | Ivory/Piano | Berlin Woodwinds, Nocturne Solo Violin | SPITFIRE Solo Strings | EastWest Hollywood Strings, Brass, Pro Drummer, and Stormdrum 2 | VSL | Vienna Ensemble Pro | M-Audio Code 61, FaderPort 8 |
Old 02-06-2009, 12:26 AM

Another questian on firewire,,,,,,, PT needs firewire 400,, correct? would 800 work,, or is this a non issue????
Thanks ,,,,,, Mike
Old 02-06-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks guitardom,, I was wondering if maybe a PCIe might be better with the i7??!! Something newer and faster!! One thing Ive encountered with my Asus MOBO, is that I have not been able to dissable RAID!! I dissabled it in the device manager, but on restart, I see the RAID "OK" load , so don't think that the device manager did the job??? Any thoughts,, I've been inside and out of the BIOS, but see now where to turn it off. But then I'm no PC expert, nor am I real familiar with the BIOS. Never needed to touch it in the past except to set boot priority after building. PT has always just worked great right out of the box,,, never needed to tweak anything!!
Anyone with RAID knowledge have any suggestions, what am I missing??
Also, Ive been following (in my spare time) your posts below (guitardom) and noticed you mentioned, I think, the need to set your RAM speed in the BIOS. Mine is set at auto??!! Which I assumed would be fine????
I'm running 1600 triple channel,,, thanks for any thoughts,,,,,,
should easily disable this in the bios, some boards in the past you had to physically do this on the motherboard with a jumper or something. pull out the manual and check it out.

set it to manual and the speeds should pop up if you cant see them now. you should have setttings like 5-5-5-20, and your voltage say 2.1v (not 100% yours is 2.1, should say in the manual, or check the specs in newegg and will tell you this info. need to check to see if these are correct, as well as it should also say 1600 for dram speed. if not might need to up the multiplier to get it to this speed.

all this info should be easily found in the manual if you cant figure it out.

i am not 100% about the pci having to be firewire 400 or if 800 or not. i think firewire 800 might be fine (backward compatible) might better off to have mykhal or someone answer this question.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-06-2009, 11:20 PM

Hey pianoman,
I'm gonna build your rack with the standard 450W PSU, if anyone can volunteer the reasons why a 750W Corsair would benefit me, please explain. Also gonna run 1xTB HD for Audio and 1x smaller for OS. Can't see why I'd need more - I'm getting by with 40G + 180G now on old P4 setup - just need more Ram with faster processor.
Cheers.
PS - you'd think that it would be in DIGIs best interest to recommend a stable setup for each release of PT - ie - "we have found that PT8 and common associated programs work well with these 4 chip/RAM/MOBO/Vcard configs for PCs... and these 4 configs for MAC..."
PTLE8.x Mbox, Sibelius, Record, Reason, i7 D0, UD3R rev1.6, GEIL 6GB KIT EVO ONE C9 2000Mhz, Noctua NH-U12P SE1366, CavBlacks 2x 500G + 1xT, SAPPHIRE HD 2400PRO 256MB SILENT, CORSAIR 750W, Novation Remote SL37, Win7.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:22 PM

Hey pianoman,
I'm gonna build your rack with the standard 450W PSU, if anyone can volunteer the reasons why a 750W Corsair would benefit me, please explain. Also gonna run 1xTB HD for Audio and 1x smaller for OS. Can't see why I'd need more - I'm getting by with 40G + 180G now on old P4 setup - just need more Ram with faster processor.
Cheers.
PS - you'd think that it would be in DIGIs best interest to recommend a stable setup for each release of PT - ie - "we have found that PT8 and common associated programs work well with these 4 chip/RAM/MOBO/Vcard configs for PCs... and these 4 configs for MAC..."
PT7.4 Reason4 Novation Remote SL
Intel P4 2GRam WinXPSP2
Old 02-08-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I was just reading the manuel for the Asus deluxe 6 MOBO that I have,,, and it suggests 1000 watts if you are going to use 2 or more PCIe slots,,, I'm just guessing that PCIe takes a lot more poer to run than the old PCI slots. Besides,, if your going to have 2 or more HD's, crossfire video, ect. you'll defenately want to have more rather than less when it comes to PSU!!?? If all you nead is a basic bare bones unit, then 450 might get you by??? Not real sure if this helps,, maybe someone else can jump in with better explenations!
Good luck,,, Mike
Old 02-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianosound View Post
I was just reading the manuel for the Asus deluxe 6 MOBO that I have,,, and it suggests 1000 watts if you are going to use 2 or more PCIe slots,,, I'm just guessing that PCIe takes a lot more poer to run than the old PCI slots. Besides,, if your going to have 2 or more HD's, crossfire video, ect. you'll defenately want to have more rather than less when it comes to PSU!!?? If all you nead is a basic bare bones unit, then 450 might get you by??? Not real sure if this helps,, maybe someone else can jump in with better explenations!
Good luck,,, Mike
hey guys, i am running the i7 with 6 gb of ram, 4 sata hard drives, 2 dvd drives, vid card and firewire on pcie, had 5 case fans, recently pulled 2 out and re organized the others and have 2 fans on my cpu heatsink, 2 usb hubs powered from usb, as well as usb mouse and keyboard, and pop on an extra hard drive or 2 from time to time off a 620w corsair psu with no problems.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10