Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2002, 04:44 PM

Default Suggestion.....New forum for begginers.

right so i think it would be nice to have a begginners forum for people like me who know jack shizzight about what to do.

this way the posts made don't dissapear in a few hours.

and the people just starting out can find some solice in feeling not so retarted and hopeless in asking the most stupid questions possible.

just a thought. might save some time and answer allot of questions with out having to call in.

i still can't install the digi oo1.

someone said i need to erase mac os x from the hard drive completely... and only run 9.2

lost as usual. and i am sober this time.
Old 07-02-2002, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Suggestion.....New forum for begginers.

Hey man,

Don't worry about un-installing OSX. If it came pre-installed on your machine, it's not necessary to remove it. Digidesign does recommend that for people with much older machines (like me) although I have installed OSX and haven't had any problems with having both OS's on the same drive. Just leave it on there, you're going to need it sometime in the future anyway, and it can be confusing figuring out what to delete etc.

What installation problems are you having? Have you followed the instructions in the getting started manual? It should explain everything pretty clearly. If you are getting errors or crashes, one thing to try is to use the 'search' feature on the top of the DUC page (under 'new topic/reply'). Most errors/beginner questions do get asked about a lot, so there are lots of posts in the archive that will probably be able to answer your questions. If you can't find the answers after searching, don't be afraid to post your question. I'll admit that sometimes a seperate forum for beginners sometimes sounds like a good idea, however modest and well writen posts like yours make a case for keeping everyone together. Not to mention that a seperate post would probably just further confuse issues because people wouldn't know which forum to use for what questions [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Get back to us if you have further questions on the OSX or other issues - oh yeah, there's also a few other good links to check out on the top of the DUC page: The Answerbase and Compatability Documents are also good places to check out when you have specific questions about your rig - check em' out when you have a question, then post if you can't find the answer!

Cheers!

- Slim
Old 07-02-2002, 06:16 PM

When we installed the Digi001, we never had a problem even with OS X under the same partition, but we choose to reformat the hard drive after a month mainly because we didn't use OS X and we wanted that HD space.

Anyways, if you can reformat your drive and make a fresh installation of OS 9, it might solve your problems. If you have your manual, just follow the guidelines to setup your system, but I'll write them here just to recap them...

1) After installing OS 9, go to the Extensions Manager and select OS 9 Base. This will leave only the necessary extension for your system to work. Also, go to the Memory control panel and turn virtual memory off and reduce the disk cache to 512K. Finally, in the Appereance control panel select Chicago as the large system font and turn off text smoothing.
2) Shut down your Mac and install the Digi001 PCI card and connect the Digi interface to it.
3) Turn on your machine and install the Pro Tools software.
4) Restart and install OMS and configure it. To configure OMS, just run the OMS Setup application and it will identify the Digi001's MIDI port by itself. Save the setup and run Pro Tools.

That's it. It should work.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:14 AM

did exactly that. over and over.

frustration pure and the heat just gets hotter.
NY.
Old 07-03-2002, 08:51 AM

You still haven't stated what the problem is!

Quote:
did exactly that. over and over.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and the result was what? Freezes? Crashes? Lack of Digi control panel? C'mon, throw us a bone here! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2002, 09:39 AM

I created Two partitions on the same drive. Put os9 on one and osx on the other and I have had no problems. My machine is a G4 400.

-Gaffer
Old 07-04-2002, 12:51 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Quote:
Originally posted by Slim Shady:
You still haven't stated what the problem is!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No doubt! Do you have a problem, or do you just live under a bridge, and randomly jump out to scare passerby.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Describe your problem in exact detail, and I'm sure one of our fellow DUCers will be more than happy to try and help 'ya... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2002, 02:30 PM

Back to the original topic - I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY on the "Newbie Forum". I too am just starting into this & have a lot of really basic Q's - certainly not worthy of the expertise here. Everyone has been really helpful on this site, but sometimes the responses just skim right over my head...kpl
Old 07-12-2002, 04:13 PM

Seems to me a forum jsut for newbies would be like the blind leading the blind. I may occaisionally flame a newbie for asking before searching obvious questions, (OSX compatibility, RAM allocation, etc.) but this is the place to come if you are a newbie, even if you occaisionally ask a dumb question, as there is mucho experience here, and hey let's remember we ALL were once newbies.

I'd rather ask a dumb question and learn something, perhaps taking a bit of sh*t along with it, than make a dumb mistake that is irreversable.

So FWIW, newbies post away, AFTER you search for your answers!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2002, 04:20 PM

Gotta agree with the prev. post - no reason to send the newbies off to a gulag to try & figure it out amongst themselves.

Much better solution is to get the much-discussed FAQ online. There's definitely about 30-40 questions that just keep coming back, & the 1st level of the DUC would be a great place for these.