Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2012, 12:34 PM

Default Eleven Rack Problems

I know this is nothing new to those who stay informed about the eleven rack, but mine is currently having problems. The problems that my rack unit is experiencing seems to be a combination of the Eleven problems.

The problems began while I was playing my Guitar through the Eleven rack and headphones. Randomly, the eleven tone disappeared and this fuzz/distortion sound overwhelmed the guitar sound. In fact, you couldnt hear the guitar at all.

A few days later, I turned on the elven again to try and see if I could make any magic happen. While scrolling through the settings, the fuzz noise just stopped. From that moment forward, my Eleven rack has been silent. I have read about many of the problems these units have had.

I have tried calling Avid customer support only to be on hold for an 1 hour and 15 minutes. After that time period I had to hang up and work.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do? I just feel hopeless. All I want is my Eleven Rack to work. It was a Christmas present from my family, and so far it hasn't served me well. The 5 days it worked it was magnificent, but now....it seems to have gone to a new world.

Thanks guys, looking forward to your help.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Avid

Default Re: Eleven Rack Problems

Sorry to hear you're having troubles. I would try changing the sample rate in the user options page to see if that makes difference. Hold the Edit/Back button for a few seconds, and then select the Digital Clock user option to change that. We've seen some failures with the clock circuit and it's usually when running at 44.1k when it happens.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:57 PM

Chris,

I have already tried that. Nothing.

I just got off of the phone with a representative and he is having me send my unit in. I don't mean to complain about this, but why have other eleven rack unit owners simply had their units replaced when they were causing trouble? Also, Avid is making me pay to ship my under warranty product to them?

I understand this is not your fault. I am not mad, just a little frustrated. Why do some cases get such special response?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:42 PM

I agree, why can't you just return it to your place of purchase as defective, and have them replace it with a new unit? Oh, and as to why some get a special response? That's more then likely do to them using a squeaky wheel approach! :) Just for giggles (likely not going to solve it) the Avid Rep should have had you reset the unit. If not, see below:

* Press and hold the Edit/Back button until the User Options screen appears.
* Turn the Scroll wheel to select the option titled Reset Memory
* Press SW1 to select. In this screen, pressing SW1 will reset the memory of Eleven Rack back to factory specs. All user created Rigs and settings will be erased.
You can exit this screen without resetting the memory by pressing the Edit/Back button.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Hero - I hear your frustration. I've had to replace my unit 3 times, because of different manufacturing defects (clock, buzzing, etc).

I'm in Canada, which does cause some issues when getting a replacement unit from Avid USA. When I first called Avid support about it, I was told to send it in for repair. I asked about the possibility of cross-shipping one, as I couldn't be without it, they said it would cost about $300. But they suggested I work with the retailer and see if they would exchange the unit, and then if not, they'd see what they could do to reduce the cost.

I contacted the retailer, and because the "clock issue" was a known problem, they were able to get a new unit shipped in, no hassles, and I exchanged it at the store. Unfortunately, the replacement, and the subsequent replacement also had issues. As with any mass-produced electronic device - computers, TVs, and so on, there is an accepted rate of failure; I just happen to have "hit the lottery", as it were, receiving three defective units. WIsh I could get the same odds on the real lottery...

Both the retailer and Avid Canada have been very accommodating. Avid Canada is in the process of shipping a brand new unit, which they will fully test before shipping.

So, in short, contact the retailer and ask for an exchange.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM

This whole mess has turned into quite the show.

A few weeks ago I sent in my Pro Tools Eleven Rack. $50 shipping out of my pocket.

After FedEx notified us that our product had arrived, we received no indication from Avid that our product had arrived. I was forced to call and wait another 2 hours on the phone to check and see if my product had arrived and what the status of the repair was (4 days after arriving).

Yesterday evening I received a call from an Avid representative who told me that my problem could not be duplicated, so that they were just going to send my unit back. Listen, I understand that my unit might not display the problems to you that it did to me, but mine was clearly giving me problems. I was told that if I had more problems regarding my unit once I received it back, I would have to redo the process again......

Avid has really shown their true colors on this. I understand that customer service takes time and money, but for a company with such a notable reputation, there should be a much higher standard of customer service. Simply put, I think that Avid needs to realize they are in competition with some of the other major corporations such as Apple (Logic Etc.). I know one thing, if I had a problem with any Apple product within two weeks of owning it, they would send me a new one and pay for the shipping.... oh and I wouldn't have to waste 6 hours of my life on the phone trying to get in touch with a customer representative...

Which brings me to another point...They make you pay for service calls? It would be hard enough to accept service like that for free...
Old 01-21-2012, 02:25 PM

Well I'll ask it again! Why didn't you return it to the vendor who sold it to you in the first place? Kind of difficult to demand Avid replace a unit that they can't find a problem with!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Well, I do not mind that they are sending me the same unit. That's not the issue. The problem lies in the customer service. It just seems like a headache to get anything done with Avid. Right now, Im not even sure when, or how I am getting my unit back.

On a positive note:

Anytime I finally got in touch with an Avid representative, they were outstanding.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Mine just started doing this. I will be playing and it fuzzes out. I have to reset the amp setting. I turned the monitors off and just monitored through the headphones. It didn't happen via the headphones. I changed the surge protector The monitors are plugged into and it didn't happen again for about 2 days. Just started again last night.

Has anyone discovered any other solutions?