Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 PM

Default Install Windows Updates first or Pro Tools?

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has insight on what the best order of operations are for installing PT on a rig from a fresh format and OS install.

I'm having issues with my computer -- I had formatted on Saturday, installed Vista (xp was bluescreening on this rig, so this is a temporary PT rig until I build my i7) and didn't pay much attention to the order. I installed Windows Updates between Pro Tools installation. (both have you restarting the computer)

Something I noticed, I had to reboot at least 6 times to install all my Windows Updates because some updates don't pop up until other ones are installed I'm guessing.

Well... long story short, my rig was working PERFECTLY at one point on Sunday. On Monday, my BLA 002R arrived from repairs (malfunction), I popped it in my rack, plugged everything in, started up Pro Tools... and I started getting DAE errors and Initializing Globals errors. Great. So I figured I'd reinstall PT. I did that and only updated to 8.0.1cs1. It was working great!

But... I also installed some new Windows Updates and had forgotten that, thinking it was my Pro Tools or maybe the BLA didn't repair my 002R correctly, because I was experiencing HEAVY lag. That's where I'm at currently. My computer is dead slow for 30 minutes after a fresh reboot. It's just sitting there, doing something... I checked Task Manager and Processes, etc.. can't find the culprit.

I don't have IE8, this is a fresh install still, with only Pro Tools, Komplete 6, iTunes(for ProTools), and Windows Updates. That's it!

Anyway, I'm trying uninstalling the recent Windows Updates I installed.. if that doesn't work, I plan on formatting again, and hopefully with the responses from ya'll here, I can have a game plan for how to/if I should install Windows Updates, if so... which first? PT or Windows Updates?

Thanks ya'll gaggle of hobos!

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Install Windows Updates first or Pro Tools?

I never install or recommend any Windows updates unless they are required by, and tested with Pro Tools. It's a crapshoot every time.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 PM

Other than your service packs, turn off your updates.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I never install or recommend any Windows updates unless they are required by, and tested with Pro Tools. It's a crapshoot every time.

+1

If you're one that's sticking with XP, apply SP3 - then don't go any futher.

SP3 in it's raw original form has always seemed to work best for me.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRugMan View Post
+1

If you're one that's sticking with XP, apply SP3 - then don't go any futher.

SP3 in it's raw original form has always seemed to work best for me.

Right, no need to go any further.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-24-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Right, no need to go any further.
I'm the guy who tried to install Windows XP SP3 but failed to do so... so instead am installing Vista (eww).

So here's the thing, I have a Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Disc... should I upgrade to Ultimate and take advantage of the extra RAM? (up to 4GB) And if I do upgrade to Ultimate, will that have any negative effect on my fresh OS install as it pertains to PT?

Finally, whether I upgrade or not...

I clicked installed important updates only, should I have set it to no updates period? Someone mentioned only Service Packs so I'm not sure if that falls under important updates only, or if important updates has other stuff that may conflict with PT.

Thanks for chiming in.

Windows 7 - Reaper 3 - Lynx Aurora 16 - RME HDSPe AES - DigiMax FS - Eureka - Axiom Pro - Yamaha HS80Ms + HS10W Sub
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 PM

eww indeed.

"Well, of course, their requests for subsidies was not Paraguayan in and of it is as it were the United States government would never have if the president, our president, had not and as far as I know thats the way it will always be. Is that clear?"- Chevy Chase, Spies Like Us.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeyBwah View Post
I'm the guy who tried to install Windows XP SP3 but failed to do so... so instead am installing Vista (eww).

So here's the thing, I have a Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Disc... should I upgrade to Ultimate and take advantage of the extra RAM? (up to 4GB) And if I do upgrade to Ultimate, will that have any negative effect on my fresh OS install as it pertains to PT?

Finally, whether I upgrade or not...

I clicked installed important updates only, should I have set it to no updates period? Someone mentioned only Service Packs so I'm not sure if that falls under important updates only, or if important updates has other stuff that may conflict with PT.

Thanks for chiming in.
If you have XP if I were you I would stick with XP with SP3 and no more updates after that.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
If you have XP if I were you I would stick with XP with SP3 and no more updates after that.
And again I agree.

With Vista I would install only as far as the last sevice pack unless your DAW goes onlne.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-25-2010, 06:12 AM

I with the pack here. Vista 32 bit won't use any more RAM than XP. 64 bit is another can of worms. Meanwhile, check your present setup to see if your updates moved you to IE8 which has been a problem for PT(roll it back to IE7).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave