Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Setup to do Audio Post Production for Video/Film

I have a question about the setup of a audio/video post production studio.

I want to add ADR, foley and sound to picture to my services. From simple field recording synced to video - to hopefully - dialog recording to film/tv where voice talents need to see what to sync to.

thus, for ADR and foley sessions, what would be the equipment setup to display the video in the recording room?

My audio setup is
- PowerMac G5 2Ghz 4GRAM
- ProTools HD Accel 2
- Lynx Aurora 16 w/ HD card
- Rosetta800 w X-HD card

For video, I have an Avid Xpress Pro software, and waiting for delivery of a MOJO SDI.

What otehr equipment is needed and best setup that will enable smooth workflow for audio to video sessions.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Gerry
Old 08-10-2007, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Setup to do Audio Post Production for Video/Film

Gerry,

I think this has been discussed before, but heres my 5 cent:

To my understanding, the MojoSDI should be your best choice--when it work. I read somewhere in this DUC that some people still find it to be buggy (or some other problem). But I don't use this setup.

The easiest way is to get yourself a Canopus ADVC-110. That way, you can use a Quicktime movie with DV (or DVCPro) codec streamed out of your firewire port to the ADVC then goes straight to the regular TV monitor (or video splitter). And voila instant video for everyone.

But there's a catch, since it produce quite a fluctuative (project dependent) video processing lag, you need to get your self a nice sync checker (www.syncheck.com). To get the correct video sync offset value.

If your budget allowed, I might also suggest you to get a Digi SyncI/O, since its the only correect way for you to do pull-up/down whenever project dictated.

Oh yeah one more thing, you need a supported blackburst/video ref generator to use the Mojo/SDI.

Cheers.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 08-10-2007, 10:24 AM

Gerry, you'll also need some kind of video distribution system and a couple of TVs or video monitors for your ADR and foley work. LCDs and Plasmas have delays . . . but from my understanding regular TVs do not have delays. The Avid Mojo has had the delay offset issue fixed and you can now scrub with it. You should see Richard of Challenge systems who is one of the Digi distributors here in Manila and his support engineer Arnold could probably help you out. I also think the Mojo was only unsupported with the newer Intel Macs but works OK with the older G5s and earlier versions of PT7 (someone correct me if I am wrong). Don't know the current state of the Mojo as we use older Aurora cards here at HIT.

Doing stuff for film is another can of worms as you probably read in my posts. Like Bokir said you probably need to invest in a Sync I/O to do pull ups and pull downs for film and to layback to video and chase timecode if that is what is required. Most people here just spot with Quicktime these days. So if you do not need to layback or work for film . . . what you have will work. It has been acceptable to deliver on CDR audio files with just a 2-pop for sync depending on clients.

Hope this helps.

BTW checked out your site . . . nice to see someone in the Philippines with a passion for what he does.
www.hitproductions.net
Old 08-11-2007, 05:47 PM

Hi Bokir,

thanks for the reply, and the link on Yahoo Answers.

You totally get my question, thanks!

you are the 2nd person to recommend the Canopus and the need for Digi SYNC - but you have explained it clearly.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Hi Dennis,

Wow, a reply from a top guy in the top post in the country!

I'll try calling my account manager at Challenge again (they supplied my G5 & 002) but it has been difficult obtaining timely support from them.

And for the insights on film medium and local delivery standards.

Thanks again! SALAMAT!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:53 AM

Glad to help Gerry. We all start out small but the vision is what keeps us all going. I may have an old Canopus box I can let you try out. They are pretty affordable here . . . just remember to input the 10 - 18 frame offset. Depends on the market you are trying to get into. Nice thing is a lot of local movies still have free lancers like you who do sound design and post work.

If you are buying your Avid / Mojo from Challege, they should help you out. Look for Richard and tell him I sent you, he'll help you out.

That live piano recording in your blog is interesting, I probably have a client who is looking for exactly that. Somebody who can record remotely with nice gear. Give me a ring . . .or drop by you are just a stones throw away from our studio.

Take care, and good luck in your adventures in recording.
www.hitproductions.net