Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Pops noise after quick punch. Pics included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken81 View Post
I was having this problem with 8.0.4 as well and really shows when im tracking bass. About .1 seconds after the punch in spot there will always be a pop or click in the track. I zoomed in so you can get a look at what is going on.

Any ideas what the problem could be from or a fix?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/610605/Close%20up.jpg

and

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/610605/Zoomed%20out.jpg
What your pictures are showing is a discontinuity in the phase of the original and new waveforms. This is because the bass is not (and can not be) synchronized to the original recording. You hear this especially in bass frequencies as a pop. Higher frequencies won't be so obvious but can happen.

I'm not sure why this is happening AFTER the punch-in though. I'd expect to see it exactly at the region start.

You may be able to hide this with a crossfade and may also need to slide the region boundary into the new material a handful of samples.

There's a menu item to set a default crossfade for quick-punch but don't know if you are using that.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 AM

Sorta agree with Kevin; nevertheless, there is an issue with quickpunch tho.. Ur the 1st I've seen where its actually in the audio itself, but its known that it pops when u punch in & out...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-15-2010, 04:40 AM

I also get pops and meters will clip when i hit play like in the middle of a bass note or vocal phrase. This kind of sucks as well....

Yea the pop in the audio sucks cause i can not just punch in a note or anything because the note will be ruined with the pop noise. You would have to drag the old audio over top of your punch in audio and crossfade to fix and that defeats the purpose of the punch in note.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:23 AM

I agree with Kevin, too - the discontinuity between the waveforms in the disc files themselves is unavoidable. I think - this is only a suspicion - that the software is supposed to handle it by automatically ramping the audio over the course of a few samples at punch points. It's just some bug in the current version preventing it from doing whatever it used to do to avoid popping. You'll just have to create manual crossfades for now. Not a bad idea, anyway, since you'll need them if you consolidate.

Am I remembering right that PT didn't have that feature until like version 5.x? I think I remember always having to deal with pops manually the first few years.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 11-15-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
You would have to drag the old audio over top of your punch in audio and crossfade to fix and that defeats the purpose of the punch in note.
Turn on Quickpunch. It captures audio prior to the punch point so you can crossfade on the punch, or anywhere on either side of it. Wherever works best.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:31 AM

I don't think you guys get the problem. The audio quick punch captures before the punch is fine. Its right after the punch in point that the noise happens. Please look at pics and you will see the punch in point and then to the right is the problem. If i crossfade the two regions it does nothing because the problem is in the audio after the punch in point.

I mean yes i will get pops at where the two regions meet and a crossfade fixes that like normal but my problem is after that.

I would have to pull the region on the left over to the right and cover the problem. This is no good because i'm dragging the audio from what i did not want back into play.

I'm also getting pops when i hit play and stop as well. Is this some form of dc offset happening or something?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 AM

Tell me som'n, when u stop the recording, are u "stopping it" or hitting '3' (or whatever u use to arm record) then again, I guess ur using pre|post-roll i ur recording urself, but if so, are u leaving any post-roll space?

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Its right after the punch in point that the noise happens.
Woah, seriously?! My apologies - the pics didn't make that immediately clear to me. So you're saying the discontinuity is in the audio file itself? That punching in is altering the bitstream?! Ouch ouch ouch. Fatal. Sigh. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:47 AM

I hit spacebar to stop and play if i'm listening. If i'm recording i will do on the transport window or just hit 3 and i hit spacebar to stop recording.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:49 AM

Method should be irrelevant. If the output of the A/D isn't transferred to disc sans modification, we have serious problems.