Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Waves Audio AAX DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooks View Post
I've been reading the posts on here, and I've seen people saying, "Avid you should pay Waves to make AAX DSP" and "if Waves doesn't support AAX DSP, there is no reason for me to upgrade to HDX"............WHAT THE HELL!!!??? Do you people really think it is Waves plugins that make your mixes sound good? If that is what you think, you better get a different day job. Don't get me wrong, Waves makes a fantastic plugin. But there are other companies that make plugins that sound just as good, McDSP, UAD, AVID, etc., there is no other company that makes a complete system of DSP processing like Avid!! I'm not just talking plugin DSP, but the whole thing, plugins, mixing, I/O, who else does that? Nobody!! If you like Pro Tools TDM and it is rock solid, then keep it. Don't blame Avid because Waves has a stick up their ass about making AAX DSP plugins, blame Waves. If you want to move to HDX (because you see the benefits of the power of the card) move to HDX and look into some other plugins. Pro Tools is the base, or foundation of the system, the plugins are the finishing touches. You wouldn't eat a cake made out of dog [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] if the frosting was Betty Crocker chocolate frosting. As far as the other comment about paying Waves.......... Duh! That's like Mcdonalds paying me to eat a Big Mac, sure that is good for me, but not good business for McDonalds. Some people should not be in this business or even doing the hobby if all they are going to do is spew nonsense, which makes the rest of the professionals look bad!
Absolute steaming BS. I'm quite happy with my day job and so are Sony, Disney, Warner Bros, Vivendi Universal, The BBC etc. etc. I don't need some anonymous jumped-up internet smart ass to tell me how to do my job thanks. I mean really? If you've got an argument make it but do you need to be so obnoxious? Are you like this in real life?

Name one company that covers the breadth, range and quality that Waves does? UAD maybe but I ALREADY OWN WAVES. I'm not interested in running TWO DSP systems. I have virtually everything Waves make AND I ALREADY own MOST of the TDM alternatives. I prefer Waves. I'm sorry that bothers you so much.

Also sans Waves, I'm going to potentially loose compatibility with pre HDX sessions. As a PROFESSIONAL, this is very important to me and my clients.

Waves haven't even announced IF they're going to do a DSP version of HDX let alone when. That will leave a LOT of PROFESSIONALS in the lurch. You'd understand that if you were one.

Quote:
Another truth which is being stated several times is that "without Waves AAX-DSP I'm not buying HDX". this is clearly hurting HDX sales,
Exactly.....!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 AM

I think the bigger picture here is more related to prior investment. I'm In construction. I own 2 bobcats that's about 100000 dollars. The attachments are standard across the board. If they suddenly start making a machine that will out work the ones I have but changed that standard rendering the 60000 dollars in attachments I do own useless no matter how good it would be I wouldn't upgrade. I can sympathize with a studio that has invested 10's of thousands of dollars in plug-ins to find other solutions to continue to use what they have paid for. It's not that they can't mix without them, it's what they want and what they've paid for. It's simply growing pains that will either split the industry or slow it's growth. If waves don't make a move then one or the other will suffer to some extent. I personally just understand the thought of throwing away a large investment in order to stay with one particular brand is a scary thought.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:29 AM

Since I mix at several different post production studios, I try to avoid third party plugins in general - from any vendor, including Waves. I occasionally will take an iLok along with me that has licenses for the third party plugins I will be using, but it's a major PITA when weeks later a studio asks me to messenger the iLok to them so they can do a minor update on an obscure delivery requirement. Avid plugins are not always the best to be had, but they are generally professional quality and everyone has them.

For sound design I often use third party plugins, but I usually render the regions before the mix, so compatibility isn't an issue.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:49 AM

To say that across the board any given prefered plugin can be replaced by another plugin is just too broad if a statement. I used to put my entire drum mix through an Anthony D'Maria Fairchild 670 that I own. It became too big of a pain in the butt to recall the settings for each individual song, on a full 12 sing record, in order to do mix comments so I started to look for an ITB method that would sound just as good. After extensive A - B'ing I found that the Puigtech 670 coupled with the Slate Virtual Channel sounded pretty much the same. Tell me that you can do that with a Digi, or any otherfor that mater, limiter besides maybe the UAD 670 which I don't own. I also don't want to run a second DSP setup that I can't track through as well. This is just one example. There is no simplistic solution to this problem. Some of the answers offered here are just that, simplistic.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
To say that across the board any given prefered plugin can be replaced by another plugin is just too broad if a statement. I used to put my entire drum mix through an Anthony D'Maria Fairchild 670 that I own. It became too big of a pain in the butt to recall the settings for each individual song, on a full 12 sing record, in order to do mix comments so I started to look for an ITB method that would sound just as good. After extensive A - B'ing I found that the Puigtech 670 coupled with the Slate Virtual Channel sounded pretty much the same. Tell me that you can do that with a Digi, or any otherfor that mater, limiter besides maybe the UAD 670 which I don't own. I also don't want to run a second DSP setup that I can't track through as well. This is just one example. There is no simplistic solution to this problem. Some of the answers offered here are just that, simplistic.
Amen to that.
I also have a few Waves plug-ins for which I have not yet found reasonable replacements. I run these natively in HDX, but would prefer to see them in DSP. It appears though, this will not happen anytime soon, if ever.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Absolute steaming BS. I'm quite happy with my day job and so are Sony, Disney, Warner Bros, Vivendi Universal, The BBC etc. etc. I don't need some anonymous jumped-up internet smart ass to tell me how to do my job thanks. I mean really? If you've got an argument make it but do you need to be so obnoxious? Are you like this in real life?

Name one company that covers the breadth, range and quality that Waves does? UAD maybe but I ALREADY OWN WAVES. I'm not interested in running TWO DSP systems. I have virtually everything Waves make AND I ALREADY own MOST of the TDM alternatives. I prefer Waves. I'm sorry that bothers you so much.

Also sans Waves, I'm going to potentially loose compatibility with pre HDX sessions. As a PROFESSIONAL, this is very important to me and my clients.

Waves haven't even announced IF they're going to do a DSP version of HDX let alone when. That will leave a LOT of PROFESSIONALS in the lurch. You'd understand that if you were one.

Exactly.....!
Well one solution to this, if they do port most of their plugins to aax native. is get them native, and get the HDX card and other plugins for dsp. This way you have the best of both world. You still have your compatibility with old sessions, for having the same native plugins (assuming they are porting them) and you can get the benefit of the HDX cards while developing a new interest for other companies that actually got onboard with the new dsps.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-07-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Well one solution to this, if they do port most of their plugins to aax native. is get them native, and get the HDX card and other plugins for dsp. This way you have the best of both world. You still have your compatibility with old sessions, for having the same native plugins (assuming they are porting them) and you can get the benefit of the HDX cards while developing a new interest for other companies that actually got onboard with the new dsps.
Or... don't upgrade at all. There are still enough places out there running Mix systems on G4s.

Necjam actually hits the point right on the head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
I think the bigger picture here is more related to prior investment. I'm In construction. I own 2 bobcats that's about 100000 dollars. The attachments are standard across the board. If they suddenly start making a machine that will out work the ones I have but changed that standard rendering the 60000 dollars in attachments I do own useless no matter how good it would be I wouldn't upgrade.
Right? But it's not like you're going to start getting angry at Bobcat because these attachments aren't "compatible"... you're going to keep working with what you got, and not buy either a new loader, or new attachments until you absolutely need them.

This philosophy is definitely the best way to look at it. If you really want to keep using Waves, and eventually upgrade to HDX... then you should stop giving money to BOTH Waves and Avid. If you support one, but not the other... you're giving one more credit when, let's face it, both tools are equally important to you. Avid shouldn't have to pay Waves anything, and Waves should realize that nearly everyone else is already on board with AAX. It's nothing more than a staring contest where no one wins.

The best thing you can do is sit it out, and keep using what works for you. Worry about upgrading when you know it will work.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 06-07-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Or... don't upgrade at all. There are still enough places out there running Mix systems on G4s.

The best thing you can do is sit it out, and keep using what works for you. Worry about upgrading when you know it will work.
That's exactly what I'm gonna do. I have more than enough DSP power with an HD 6 and my work is getting done in the way that I prefer to work.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 PM

Waves is more focused on putting in software on Dell laptop's to make a 'better laptop speaker'
plus they focus there every on creating an new copy protection system that does not work. Why do they need to make AAX plug-ins? - that's not the company focus.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 PM

WUP/Waves - not for me thanks

1) I don't like their business practices
2) I don't rate their clones i.e. of the Cedar DNS
3) I choose not to support Israeli companies
4) I have found their automation unreiliable

I am very glad that I am not faced with a back catalogue of sessions with their plugs moving into the AAX DSP new frontier.

These are my personal choices.

cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Closed Thread