Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2017, 08:56 PM

Default 12.7.0 and Scarlett 2i2 driver issues?

Hello everyone, I just made this account because I've been having some problems and I can't seem to find a solution.

I just upgraded to 12.7.0 after I got the hard drive on my PC replaced (the old one was failing) and reinstalled everything. I then noticed that my Scarlett 2i2 preamp was having problems. I thought it was that it wasn't drawing enough power from the PC after some googling, but updating the driver ended up fixing it.

Now I have a new problem. When I launch Pro Tools everything seems ok, but when I try and start a session Pro Tools crashes or my whole PC auto restarts.

I've gotten various messages, one saying Pro Tools is unable to reacquire hardware..." and another saying "Pro Tools could not initialize the Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver. Please make sure that the device has been configured correctly."

I've also gotten AAE error -6001 and AAE error -6009. I've googled them, but couldn't find much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because I don't know what's causing the problem or how to fix it and it's been going on for two days now.

Also, if I use ASIO4ALL instead of the Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver then Pro Tools works fine, but I still need to be able to use the 2i2.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:41 AM

Default Re: 12.7.0 and Scarlett 2i2 driver issues?

Hi !

Well by your description the problem is only with the Scarlett . So try a few things .

1. Install the lastest driver
2. Disable fast start startup if you use Win 10
3. Make shure windows is not having your scarlett as default playback device
4 .Try another usb port .

If nothing work i suggest to contact focusrite support .
Old 07-30-2017, 01:16 PM

I have installed the latest driver and none of the other suggestions helped. I have contacted Focusrite, but I guess I need to wait until Monday for a reply.

I'm thinking it might be driver incompatibility from some things I read online a day or two ago, but at this point I really don't know. I have had the 2i2 for over a year and it was fine until I got my computer back with the new hard drive.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:29 AM

Hi SeanEkman,

Sorry to hear about the difficulty utilizing the Scarlett with Pro Tools, but we are more than happy to help. Since your last post on this thread, it appears that our technical support team has been in contact with you and is assisting further.

Another point to test would be to completely uninstall Pro Tools and download/install the latest version available (Pro Tools 12.8) form your Avid account. After installing the latest update, please proceed with testing further through the steps provided by our technical support team.

If there is still difficulty connecting the hardware for use, please feel free to get back in touch with our team through the ticket previously created.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:12 PM

I hate to post in such an old thread but I’m having this issue myself now. I don’t understand why because yesterday I was using my Scarlett 2i2 and all was well with no issues. Today I was trying to set up a new Arturia Keylab 49 and had the program “Analog Lab” open. The only thing I did was set the Scarlett as my default audio out so I could hear the Key Lab in my monitors. I re set it so it wasn’t the default and now I can’t get playback in my Pro-tools. Nothing changed except for now I may have changed things with the research I did on the Internet. Either way I can not find a fix to save my life. The sessions in pro tools open up fine but once I go to play it back I get the “pro tools could not initialize the USB 2.0 etc... Make sure it’s configured etc.”

I just spent the most unproductive and frustrating 3 hours I’ve ever had in my home studio. Anyone know a fix for this issue? I’ve tried many things thanks to Google, to no avail.

Also, in case this is a tell sign, all of a sudden pro tools started taking FOREVER to close. As in, it stops responding and I have to click “close the program” or “wait for program to respond” and that has never happened before now. I can’t imagine what I could possibly have done to cause this. Analog Lab has been installed for quite some time so I don’t understand how this happened.

PT version 12.5.0.395 and I re installed the latest ASIO driver for the Scarlett, still no good.

Last edited by Mr. Jack; 09-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:19 AM

Do you have a CD or DVD in a drive?

And make sure you set your onboard soundcard as default for Windows sounds/audio and disable the 2i2.

You may also have to roll back to an earlier driver for the 2i2. Unfortunately, Focusrite's Windows drivers are hit and miss.

If your video card has HDMI capability, go into Device Manager and disable the audio of the video card.

HTH
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-11-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Do you have a CD or DVD in a drive?

And make sure you set your onboard soundcard as default for Windows sounds/audio and disable the 2i2.

You may also have to roll back to an earlier driver for the 2i2. Unfortunately, Focusrite's Windows drivers are hit and miss.

If your video card has HDMI capability, go into Device Manager and disable the audio of the video card.

HTH
Nothing in the drive.

As far as the driver, I didn’t have the ASIO at first, it was just some random driver I found on the Internet and downloaded (probably not smart I know but it worked fine for a long time). This issue just showed up out of nowhere. I uninstalled it and then DL’d the latest ASIO from focusrite.

The sound card is also set for default windows, I did make sure of that. Weird thing is, at one point I was trying to change settings for the 2i2 in pro tools and it told me another program was using the 2i2 but no other programs were on at that time and the sound card was set as default for Windows at that point as well.

When I get back home I’ll see if I can DL an older driver I guess. At another point last night I tried to uninstall the 2i2 driver while it was connected with the usb cable and it crashed my computer to blue screen. Idk wtf the deal is but boy is it frustrating.

Last edited by Mr. Jack; 09-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:19 PM

Two things : make sure 2i2 is enabled(not default)in sound control panel and check in devices to make sure the driver is loaded properly(it should give you an error triangle if it isn't loading correctly) Oh, also sometime I find just going into the advanced settings in the sound control panel for the 2i2 and changing the sample rate will wake it up.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Two things : make sure 2i2 is enabled(not default)in sound control panel and check in devices to make sure the driver is loaded properly(it should give you an error triangle if it isn't loading correctly) Oh, also sometime I find just going into the advanced settings in the sound control panel for the 2i2 and changing the sample rate will wake it up.
I did that last night as well. It was enabled and not set as default. It said it is working as it should and said it was updated with most current driver. No errors showed in the control panel. I don’t think it was the sample rate based on the simple fact that it was working properly without issue for the longest time until all of a sudden.

The only thing that changed was me switching the default sound so that the Arturia Analog Lab would go through my studio monitors. This is without having protools open. The Keylab remote wouldn’t work so I closed analog lab and was going to try to open it in protools as a plug-in to see if it would work. At that point I had both the 2i2 & KeyLab 49 remote plugged in to my laptop via usb and that’s when the problem appeared. I removed the KeyLab usb cable and changed the 2i2 back to not being the default audio for windows and troubleshooting began for the rest of the night to no avail.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:22 PM

The only other thing I can think to check is the task manager to see if maybe there is something open that shouldn't be>i'm specifically wondering if Arturia didn't close properly. Maybe clear the PT pref's just for grins and cuz you never know.