Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 12-09-2005, 08:56 PM

Default setting an automatic record timer??? possible?

Hey everyone,

I am recording alone at home. I have a vocal booth and I need to record vocals. However,
I don't want to have to press play and record and then hurry and run into my booth, throw
the headphones on..and get all ready and be off time or out of breath by the time the part
comes up..especially if it's the intro...so...is there a way in Pro Tools to setup an
automatic timer or something, that will kick off the recording in like 10 seconds..so i
have time to get comfortable in my booth??

chal7ds
Old 12-09-2005, 09:00 PM

Default Re: setting an automatic record timer??? possible?

What I do in that situation is use "Loop Record". You'll miss the first pass or two but it works when you record yourself.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 12-09-2005, 09:32 PM

use a pre roll

on ur transport click on pre roll to turn it on, type in how long you want, then press record.

if you do this in the middle of the song, it will start playing back, what ever the amount of time you typed in, then it will start recording once it hits the part where you selected it to start recording
Old 12-09-2005, 09:50 PM

HI. I think, the best way is to use pre-roll and post-roll function. Its really cool function! Or , even better way is to set “countoff“. For example: 20, 40 or 99 bars. A click will count 20,40 or 99 bars before rec begins. COOL. All settings you can do on Transport bar window. (for “countoff’ settings double click with mouse on Bars button) . Also as mentioned Shane, You can use Loop REC function, but remember, how many loops Pro tools made so many memory from your Hard disc have been taken… A lot.
Darius Kalinauskas
Old 12-09-2005, 10:45 PM

ahh, so you just have to wait through the first version..and it'll repeat again hah? ok...
Old 12-10-2005, 01:04 AM

If you can spare the $200 for it, a Frontier Design Tranzport could be interesting. Basically a wireless remote control.

http://www.frontierdesign.com/

You could also hook up an extra monitor and keyboard. For the monitor you woulld also need a vga-splitter

Bastiaan
Old 12-10-2005, 03:30 PM

All good workarounds ...

my 2 pennies ...

I have a wireless usb keyboard and mouse ($100) and a honkin' long usb cable ($15). I also have a honkin' long monitor cable running into my booth to an old monitor. When I need to be in the booth (drums usually) I plug in my monitor cable from the booth, pickup the keyboard, mouse and wireless reciever and go into the booth. Gives me full control just as if I were in the control room.

Ter

I don't know, what d'you think?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:11 PM

Yea. I agree with Bastiaan on the Tranzport. I mean I can do the same thing with my wireless keyboard but the tranzport is great as a handheld recording assistant to me. It just feels better ergonomically because its smaller and mentally great as far as workflow. Everything is now more spontaneous and better session wise and thats whats its all about. Just my own opinion.

Pentium4 (2.4Ghz)
Windows XP Home Edition (SP2)
80GB HD
1GB Ram
Digi002
Protools 7.0
Mackie HR-824's