Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Major Issue - Midi via USB is broken for no apparent reason - ProTools 10.3.9 OS X

Hello All,

I really hope that some of you kind people can help me with this! I have tried everything i can think of, and google can't help me either.

From day to day, suddenly absolutely nothing happened when i played on both my Keystation49 keyboard or MPD226 - both connected via USB. It had worked fine on my current setup for over a year, and i haven't updated anything or installed any new programs or plugins. As i restarted my computer, i got the following error while booting Pro Tools: "The original MIDI device associated wwith the MIDI controller "MBox3" could not be located. Please choose an existing MIDI device in the MIDI controller section of the peripherals dialog.".

Two weird things about this is that i don't have an MBox3 plugged in, but rather an MBox3 PRO. I did have the drivers for the Mbox 3 installed at the time, but i have uninstalled it, and that didn't help and the same error appears. The second weird thing is that the error will only show the first time i open Pro Tools after i reboot, and then it will only be around half the times it shows even then.

Other symptoms are that the MIDI input selector (pictured below) will hang the entire program when i press it for 1-2 seconds and then hang again when ever i chose something. Both my devices shows up here, and in the MIDI/Input Devices menu, so Pro Tools does detect them.

Lastly, when ever i boot protools, the buttons to change octaces on my Keysatations become unresponsive. Not sure how relevant that is though.

My setup is Mac OS X 10.8.5 with Pro Tools 10.3.9 and with an Mbox 3 Pro.

So far i have tried (in this order);
Trying different USB ports with no USB hub connected
Borrowing other midi devices, none work
Midi Thru is set, all options set to none under peripherals, midi controllers
Trashing Pro Tools Preferences and Database
Uninstalling Mbox 3 drivers (as i don't use it)
Uninstalling and Reinstalling Mbox 3 Pro drivers
Uninstalling and Reinstalling Pro Tools
Fixing Disc permissions with Disc Utilities

Currently I am at a loss, so i really hope out there has the answer.

Regards,
Sebastian

Last edited by SebDollar; 10-10-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Major Issue - Midi via USB is broken for no apparent reason - ProTools 10.3.9 OS

Update - As i have a PT11 license as well, i just tried downloading that, and it has the same issue
Old 10-13-2017, 11:26 AM

Default Re: Major Issue - Midi via USB is broken for no apparent reason - ProTools 10.3.9 OS

I'm not a Mac person, but I noticed you said you uninstalled the MBox3 driver. Did you re-install the MBox3 Pro driver? You need a driver installed for whatever interface you're using. If you have access to another audio interface, you might try installing it and seeing if that works. If it does, then you'll know its likely an issue with the MBox3 Pro.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:09 PM

Default Major Issue - Midi via USB is broken for no apparent reason - ProTools 10.3.9 OS X

It sounds more like the OS is having issues since CoreMIDI handles the MIDI stuff. I'd reformat the boot drive and reinstall Mountain Lion.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 PM

I managed to fix my issues. If anyone comes from Google with similar issues, I went into the Audio and MIDI settings in Mac OS X and removed the unused MBox 3 from the MIDI interfaces.

http://m-audio.com/kb/article/1603