Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-1999, 12:31 AM

Default AV\'s future

since audiovision now runs on "pro tools" hardware, i dream of a new audiovision with standard features like: 32 (or more) track outputs, "audiosuite" (plug-in) capabilities,
24-bit audio, etc...am i just dreaming...
in my opinion, this would be the ultimate DAW for audio post!
can anyone shed some light on the future (if any) of audiovision...
Old 01-04-1999, 01:20 PM

Default Re: AV\'s future

Well, this is just what digidesign has in mind for AV. We got a mail out concerning the merging of AudioVision's features with Pro Tools in what they are tenatively calling Pro Tools|24AV. Here's a few quotes for you:

"...will run on your existing PCI ABVB boards set (for Avid video support) but will require a new PCI audio card. Therefor, Digidesin will offer this card (Pro Tools|24 Core card or its equivalent at thime of release) capable of 32 tracks and 16 channels of I/O, at no charge." [at no charge to current owners of AV 4.0 PCI that is.]

Some of the planned features that I see as being exiciting are: 24 bit recording/playback, Pluggins just like in Pro Tools; Full Automation and True Total rdcall of Every mixing & Pluggin Parameter; automated, integrated surround paning and bussing (up to 7.1); Up to 64 tracks of play/record. (with additional hardware offered at a dicounted price.)

It looks like the the Bin structure of AV will remain in tact. OMF will still be supported.

Some things will disappear. Most notably (to me at least) is Multiple Levels of Undo.

You might give digidesign a ring at their product information number. 1.800.333.2137. I imagine that they could send you a copy of the mailout we received.

-Sam Watson
freelance composer/sound designer
Jackson, MS
Old 01-06-1999, 09:01 AM
Avid

Hello,

Sam is correct about Pro Tools/AV. Many features of Pro Tools and AV are being combined to create this new application.

Your input and/or questions are welcome here on the User Conference.

Additional info can be had by contacting the Digidesign Pre-Sales department at 800/333-2137.

Thanks,

Jon Connolly
Old 01-06-1999, 09:03 AM
Avid

Let me add that Sam is correct about the combining of Pro Tools and AV features.

As far as the upgrade prices and hardware specifics you will want to talk to Pre-Sales.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 01-09-1999, 02:32 AM

Here's another question that springs to mind: When we buy a pluggin, will we be able to plug it into both AV *and* Pro Tools without buying two copies of the pluggin? (I can't wait to get DINR in AV!)

-Sam