Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2002, 10:51 PM

Default what Mics would you use to record a male quartet

Price also being an issue, because I'd have to go out and buy 4 mics to be matched. I don't want to compromise the audio signal, so how economical could I go without compromising the audio quality?
Old 10-06-2002, 01:22 AM

Default Re: what Mics would you use to record a male quartet

Quote:
I don't want to compromise the audio signal, so how economical could I go without compromising the audio quality?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if you don't want to compromise the audio quality, you'd better skip the recording and send the quartet over to sing in the homes of everyone who buys the CD.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2002, 05:41 AM

Is this accapella quartet, pop vocals, bluegrass? Need more input.

Consider renting high end mics. cheaper than buying, pass the cost on to client.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-06-2002, 06:54 AM

I would use just one high-end figure-8 condenser unless your space is too intrusive in terms of acoustics or noise level. If that's the case, 4 SM-57s used with nylon pop screens and decent preamps can sound lots better than many expensive mikes.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:28 AM

I like the sound of chorus on a single mic. You can adjust the balance after the recording, of course, but the different notes blending together on one mic adds some magic.

If you want to have control over each voice, then give each a mic and record to seperate tracks.

You don't need to get four of the same mics. Each voice may sound better on different mics.

You could also set up a stereo pair and record the group that way.

Or use a click track to record each voice one at a time using the same mic.

If the room sounds good, I like the stereo mic (near coincident or ORTF position) method.

As far as the actual mic, I like LDC for the male voice. U47, ELAM, C12 are my favorites.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:40 AM

most these quartets can't sing track at a time they need each other to sound off of and get there timing I do have a few mikes so I guess mixing it up. I did consider maybe buying a few AKG 3000s No Yes
Old 10-06-2002, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surchur:
most these quartets can't sing track at a time they need each other to sound off of and get there timing I do have a few mikes so I guess mixing it up. I did consider maybe buying a few AKG 3000s No Yes
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't think the 3000 is a very good mic for voice. If it's just four guys I think you'd be better served using 1 mic and concentrating on finding the right mic position.

The 3000 does have a nice lower midrange, but I'm assuming that only 1 or 2 of the guys will be singing tenor.

You could always rent a U87; can't go wrong with that. I also like the AKG 414 on male vocals.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:28 AM

Well I do have a TLM 103 /4033 a couple of octavias a sm 81 and sen 421 maybe a couple of those would work and then buy more good one what do you think of the groove tube or a Rode NK
Old 10-07-2002, 12:04 AM

my opinion: 2 very good mic's above 4 seperate mic's.
record direct to stereo of the 4 singers together in one take. if they can sing and screw it up, they're no musicians, and can blame only therselfs, not the equipment. at least they should have been practising the recording. btw i think this counts for very muscian.
greetings, tantejo.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:50 AM

If you have 2 similar Oktavas you might try an X/Y arrangement. Also, you might try the relatively new Rode: the NT4. It has two small diaphragm condensers in a fixed X/Y pattern. You could buy that for less than the cost of two AKG C3000s. And it would give you a great stereo image.

I have to admit, though, I haven't heard it. My remarks about the U87 and 414 come from extensive personal experience.

Still, Rode always gives you an incredible bang for the buck, perhaps the best in the industry. I think the NTK, dollar for dollar, is the best microphone ever made. Not the best ever made, period, for any amount, but, for my money, I think it's a 1500 dollar microphone for 500 bucks. So the NT4, which is probably within your price range, may be the way to go.