Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-14-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Please change this alert panel

Hi Digi,

The alert panel that pops up when you open a session on a drive that has been not been designated for playback is very misleading. It says that the drive is not suitable for playback and asks if you want to copy the session to another drive. I'm sure that 99% of the time users get this message the drive is suitable for playback but has not been designated for playback. I got this message the other day and thought that my drive was screwed... copied everything to another drive, reformatted it, copied everything back and still got the same message. It was only after coming here to the DUC and reading about the option to designate drives for recording and playback did I solve the problem.

In the grand scheme of things this is no big deal, but it did cost me a lot of time that could have been avoided if the alert panel was more accurately written. I suggest changing it to "The session you have opened is on a drive that has not been designated for playback. Would you like to copy it to another drive that has been designated for playback?"

Thanks for listening
Old 04-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Please change this alert panel

I remember that this caught me as well and it took some time to solve because it was a new "feature". . . it is strange that the drive status change on their own from time to time. Anyone know the cause? The alert could also mention the option to change the "WorkSpace" drive status.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:41 AM

I agree, this is misleading. It took me a minute to figure it out the first time...
Old 04-15-2005, 07:57 AM

I agree, I did the same thing. Thanks to DUC members for helping me with that problem.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:03 AM

It does seem that everyday there is a post with somebody freaking out about there drive not working anymore because of this. I think you're right, a rewording of the message might be in order.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I remember that this caught me as well and it took some time to solve because it was a new "feature". . . it is strange that the drive status change on their own from time to time. Anyone know the cause? The alert could also mention the option to change the "WorkSpace" drive status.
There were some DUC threads previously regarding this issue with LaCie drives losing the preference setting somehow. Try a search...