Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-24-2018, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Protools 12.XX performance optimization script and important tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlon64 View Post
Yeah this is what i figured over time. Most of these optimization Techniques are basically a way of working around the fact that yours PC doesn't have low DPC latencies. Which can be checked with latencymon.

DPC latencies are an indication of how good your PC's realtime performance are. If you have a spike over 1ms that means that some driver is blocking your CPU from replying instantly. So some other driver (your soundcard ASIO driver for an example) is forced to wait. Which is not acceptable for DAW's and you will get a cpu usage spike. Or a cracke/error.

Having a PC with really low DPC latencies is key to good DAW performance. And it's not related with how much power you have in the PC. It's related with how good are the drivers for the components that you have.

What's weird to me is that you have a PC from a builder making PC dedicated for DAW's. And by default it has DPC latency problems. That should have been the first thing they watch out for.
True - although I do wonder if its my fiddling ,trying updates that might have made things worse before trying to make them better. If I run Latencymon for say 30 mins - hour all is good, run it overnight and things seem to slow a little? I read that one culprit (cannot remember right now) was related to windows search and you can do without it. So I am expecting there are loads of quite deep windows edits you could do to improve matters at the expense of some windows functions. However, with the mandatory updates its not so easy to have a personalized windows build that stays static. edit... should have added I am using Focusrite with Thunderbolt. When it works it works, but that has been as whole other problem! They are still running a beta driver which probably does not help.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:32 AM

So, the DPC latency monitor lets one know when there is an issue. It tells you which component was delayed due to a DPC. Am I correct in stating that it does not indicate the cause? (trying to connect an old thought from a few years ago.)
Old 12-24-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionactive View Post
Really good read. I follows all this and was getting some improvements, now the improvements are amazing and I cannot quite recall how I have done this?

Have latest Pro Tools build 2018.12

Have the latest October Windows 10 build (the one Pro Tools does not officially support yet.

Have a windows system - i9-7980XE with 64Gig RAM (basically a modded music PC from Scan).

With all of the above, and before I looked at this thread and others, I was getting 20% CPU usage at idle, even before opening a project. Once open, the CPU would actually drop a little with the odd spike. All cores (18 with out HT) were in use so it seemed. If I record enabled a track then CPU would jump up on core 9. It would play / record at 64 buffer, but better at 128 / 256. All well and good, but I thought better could be achieved.

So I followed various things like:

1) Turn of HT
2) Turn off overclocking
3) Turn off boost etc.

Then I applied the fix on this thread - got good results with 0,1,2,3 and 14,15,16 and 17 cores deselected. Overall CPU came down, less CPU random usage, but still some idle CPU usage.

So - I then used LatancyMon and found a couple of things that did not lok right. I appeared to have high latency on ntoskrnl.exe. Did a search and applied the following correction "BCDEDIT /SET DISABLEDYNAMICTICK YES " (from command prompt).

Looking again I noticed a few other things that lead me to:

1) Disable onboard audio (BIOS)
2) Disable onboard graphics (device manage) - I have geforce 680 card
3) Disable all wifi (BIOS)
4) Disable blue tooth

Rebooted.

THEN... when opening up Pro Tools i noted NO idle at all - nothing. Opened a session.... 0 or 1 % idle...

Record armed - NO CHANGE - low CPU.

Played session, recorded some sessions, loaded a load of Slate plugins... All with very low CPU. All of this WITHOUT deselecting any cores.... all 18 working available but not being used.

So then, in stages, I did the following. Each time I rebooted, checked LatencyMON for 1 hour, ran a performance pass mark test, and tested pro tools

1) Overclocked in stages
2) Turned HT back on
3) Turned boost back on

(all the things you are told to turn off).

It just got better and better. Currently have a super fast, super stable, very low CPU useage even on a big session....

The question I am not quite sure about, and this is annoying, I am not quite sure what fixed it?

ARHHHH!

Mark
What are your complete system specs?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
What are your complete system specs?

- OK, will provide this in next day or so (after Xmas)
Old 12-27-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionactive View Post
- OK, will provide this in next day or so (after Xmas)
Thank you....I'll be waiting.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:46 AM

Ha!!....

Just stumbled across this thread earlier, and I've just tried the script out..
It seems to have tightened up performance nicely on bigger sample heavy sessions that could get very laggy..

Thank you very much sir..
I was nearly thinking about buying a new computer..
Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
Thank you....I'll be waiting.

Thank you, we are waiting
Old 01-20-2019, 01:18 PM

I have confirmed some benefit to using this script with w brand new Apollo X8 whereas I saw no benefit when using my old Presonus Firestudio units.

I have a feeling that the improvement varies based on the quality of the driver of the interface. Low latency performance on Apollo units is not stellar as far as native performance goes and setting priority to HIGH and affinity unchecking one core (core 0) helped in the skips and pops department and also gave me the best performance in my Gigabyte z170-hd3 system with an Alpine Ridge 2.0 AIC card.
Old 04-05-2019, 05:54 AM

Since we are talking about performance and optimization I'd like to throw in another part of the puzzle, "Disk Performance" both HDD and SSD uses with the OS and Audio drives.

In my new XPS 8930 I have the Intel 8086 CPU, 32gb of ram and for my C drive I have an Intel SSD (not my choice of brand, but what Dell installed). Currently I have PT 12.7 and other programs installed on this drive under windows 10.

As a second drive I had Dell install a 2TB Seagate 7200 HDD which is a data - backup drive ( and PT Audio).

I decided to test the performance of the drives and Using Crystal Mark disk test the Intel SSD shows about 2800 MB/s read and about 2500 write. The Seagate drive is coming in at about 200 MB/s read and about 120 write...

As an experiment I put in a Startech 1x4 PCIE to NVME PCIE adapter and a Samsung 970 evo NVME M.2 SSD and I have to say, that thing cranks... it's giving a write speed of about 3300 MB/s and a read in the 2800Mb/s. Im dealing with dell on an issue of when I have to reboot but it is not affecting the use of this drive...

That brings me to my real question... What is really needed and what is overkill.

I understand that the C: OS -Program drive should be as fast as I can get it.. and that is why I chose the onboard PCIE ssd.... it cranks and everything loads up very quickly...

but, What about an Audio Drive for DAW Projects, How Fast do they really need to be? For years I've used 7200 RPM drive with SATA 6.0 and have not really felt any problems... My projects are usually less than 32 tracks, plug ins and the like... My HDD at 7200 loads the projects no problem...

As the experiment, I gave the PCIE 1x4 adapter and Samsung 970 a try and yes it is very fast... but if I used a SATA Samsung 860 SSD, would it really be that much of a performance hit over the PCIE 1x4...

I guess I am just asking, in optimizing the system at what point does ProTools gain performance using faster SSD drives for audio and realistically is the difference of 550 MB/s and the Samsung 970 EVo PCIE SSD at 3300 MB/s. Yes, I know the faster the better but what is the limits of Protools and a system using the drives for record and playback of say 32 tracks......

If the 550MB/s 860 evo SATA going to handle about everything I need then why bother with the Samsung in the PCIE 1x4 adapter..... I could use that in another system for an OS. I guess it all comes down the throughput of the system vs the software.

I do have copies of all the tests I have run on the system using Crystal Mark and the Samsung Magician if anyone is interested.

Thanks for any replies...
Old 05-03-2019, 10:42 AM

Just tagging this for posterity
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.