Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-18-2003, 03:13 PM

Default sync phasing from 2" dump

HD, 3x192 session at 96k sync i/o

dumping from 2" to PT. we're having a problem. the first 6 songs we dumped to 2" align fine...we've changed nothing...now we're dumping more tunes in and they are coming back out of phase as of comparing them to the 2" through the console. Any suggs??
Old 02-18-2003, 04:18 PM

Default Re: sync phasing from 2" dump

Is protools clocking to ltc? If it is, thats your problem.Use video ref. You'll need to resolve the analog mach to vid. ref as well as patching it to your sync i/o. either restripe the analog code w/29.97ndf and/or make sure you have the right code selected in the session set-up window.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:37 PM

As you probably know there are some options. if you dont have house sync in your studio, IMHO I would make protools the master provided you have a
couple of lynx units protools being a code only
master!

Old 02-18-2003, 06:11 PM

we are still dead in the water. can someone tell me your sync i/o properties and session setup sync is configured for a 2" dump to PT? We're testing sine waves and they line up, but PT does not follow if there is a slight vari in tape speed, and sync i/o falls away on the scope.

please help, we're losing money minute by minute.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:35 PM

What's the syncronization setup and what exactly is out of phase?
Old 02-18-2003, 06:42 PM

Hit post too soon.

If you are slaving PT to 2" I don't think you can expect phase lock. I am surprised you were sucessful on some songs. Having the 2" slave to PT via sycronizers is really the only right way to do it. Tape machines are analog, their speed will fluctuate. Even with a syncronizer it still won't be 100% perfect (depending on the tape machine).
Old 02-18-2003, 07:00 PM

so you are telling me that if i dump certain drum tracks in and back to tape, they will not be aligned in phase with ones I didn't dump? Thats pretty much unacceptable.

My sync settings are:
clock source: sync i/o
clock ref: LTC
pos ref: LTC
30FPS non-drop

andrew, if i have to re-stripe my tape i'll lose work. should I really be in video reference, and all i need to do is re-patch even though the work was dumped in with those settings?

thanks for the help
Old 02-18-2003, 07:30 PM

ok say you have a studer 827, a neve v, and pro tools 192 HD. I need to do a simple 24T dump to pro tools, and I have done that, all with recording/striping the timecode and all that bull. When I play back the pro tools session from the 827 and solo up say the u47 room mic, they are completely and utterly out of phase, and everyone is flipping out because we have to go back and forth quite a bit with certain things and remain in perfect phase. playing with the offset doesnt even work. if i had 2 827's side by side, they would lock up perfectly in time and phase and have no problems. I expect perfect lock and i'm not getting it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

thanks [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-18-2003, 07:39 PM

if you want perfect lock theres no choice other than to reference the MTRs syncronizer to house sync and reference your PT's to the same sync. Ive been there and done that and thats the only way we ever got perfect sync.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ivet:
ok say you have a studer 827, a neve v, and pro tools 192 HD. I need to do a simple 24T dump to pro tools, and I have done that, all with recording/striping the timecode and all that bull. When I play back the pro tools session from the 827 and solo up say the u47 room mic, they are completely and utterly out of phase, and everyone is flipping out because we have to go back and forth quite a bit with certain things and remain in perfect phase. playing with the offset doesnt even work. if i had 2 827's side by side, they would lock up perfectly in time and phase and have no problems. I expect perfect lock and i'm not getting it [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

thanks [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It sounds like your Pro Tools isn't resolving.. so if indeed you have it set up in the Session Setup Window for LTC/LTC lock.. then you have a bad or loose cable. LTC/LTC, as has been mentioned is not the best method to use. Either set up Pro Tools on internal synch and use it as a code only master with a pair of Timeline Lynx, or print video referenced SMPTE on the 2" and resolve the 2" to video and set PT to synch to video ref.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••