How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:24 AM

Default connecting outboard gear to c|24

Hello to all,
I need help in figuring out how to connect a hardware stereo bus compressor to my C|24. I want to use it solely on the stereo master bus. I run windows with a usbpre2 interface, Pro Tools 11, not HD. Can it be done without a patch-bay, using only the line submixer inputs and outputs (digisnake) and creating sends and returns in the software? Any ideas?

Cheers
Old 04-15-2015, 10:09 AM

Default Re: connecting outboard gear to c|24

You have a USB Pre 2, two channel interface on a C|24?

This question really has nothing to do with your C|24, it is not an interface, has no interface inputs and outputs accessible to Pro Tools that you can use for hardware inserts from within Pro Tools. You need an interface, with a spare pair (for stereo) of output and inputs.

Messing with the sub mixer does not get any signal back into Pro Tools for you to record, which it sounds like you want.

There are perfectly fine compressor plugins that you can use if you only have the USB Pre 2 interface, and which might well be a better choice anyhow.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:47 AM

Thanks for your straight forward reply. Yes, I use my usbpre2 interface since I only mix and do post production with my C|24, no recording into Pro Tools other than voice-over, so I had no need for more in- and outputs thus far. Anyway, you're probably right about using plugins instead. Still, I would have loved to have just this one outboard device...
Old 04-17-2015, 12:40 AM

I realize, what I need is another interface wiyh more in-and outputs and since I'm moving to HD, I guess I'll be getting an Omni with it. Ireally didn't understand the signal routing for what I wanted to do. Well, not all uf us have grasped the technical side of the job. But... I'm improving...
Old 04-17-2015, 02:10 AM

bài viết hay quá, bạn có FB ko để có thể dễ trao đổi hơn
Old 04-17-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_bites View Post
I realize, what I need is another interface wiyh more in-and outputs and since I'm moving to HD, I guess I'll be getting an Omni with it. Ireally didn't understand the signal routing for what I wanted to do. Well, not all uf us have grasped the technical side of the job. But... I'm improving...

The Omni may suit you fine, but it has more limited IO than many folks first realize. It is only an 8x8 interface. You cannot use all of its physical connections, only up to that 8x8 limit.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The Omni may suit you fine, but it has more limited IO than many folks first realize. It is only an 8x8 interface. You cannot use all of its physical connections, only up to that 8x8 limit.
All true, but you can easily expand your setup with a used 192(NOT the all-digital version). With 192's often selling for under $500US, its not too rough on the old wallet

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-21-2015, 12:06 PM

Sound Bites, you may want to get a patch bay, bring your PC audio out to a stereo point, feed your C24 Main stereo inputs, take a mult out to your Stereo Bus EFX (Compressor, Limiter...) and feed that back to your Alt Sur Stereo inputs. This will give you an A/B of your mix, and you can always add more ext gear to your setup. I hope it help... I run my API 225Ls on my ALT Sub inputs and love it...