Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-07-2006, 09:07 PM

Default CD Manufacturing

So, I have a project that I am working on, and I am getting ready to have the CDs manufactured. I read something on here before about have the glass master made at one times speed for best results (I think). Can I just send these companies my bounced wave files in the order and spacing that I want, or do I need to go get CD Architect and take advantage of that program's extra capabilities? Does anyone want to share their comments on this topic, or maybe even suggestions of companies to go with?
Thanks,
Michael
Old 02-07-2006, 11:49 PM

Default Re: CD Manufacturing

Hi Michael

Dont realy know much about how the glass master i done or with wich applications, but I kind of see it this way:

Tracking, listening and mixing the music you composed increase the risk of "not" hearing errors like phase problems, a faulty mix or problems with the overall volume. An external mastering studio would or at least should. They use another kind of listening setup designed to reveal and correct these things and besides most mastering studios have the hardware to make the glasmater on site. It realy would suck if your finished printed cd after a few listenings wasnt what you wanted it to sound like.

So my advice is definitly to do what you do best: Music. And let someone else do what he is best at: burning cd's!

Compared to the money spend, I think you would find it well spend when you hear the result. Cant give you any names on companies, though, so maybe someone else can fill in with this info?

Good luck
Jakob Clemen
Old 02-08-2006, 03:02 AM

Hi, I agree you are better off getting a pro to do this, it could work out cheeper than buying the correct software & you are definitely going to get better results!

Speak to Chris Cavel on this board, I belive his company is based with you in the States... I have heard some of his stuff & it does sound good...

Oh & the glass master is done at the plant in a clean room, officially it’s a 'Premaster' you are looking to make… But most folks just call them an audio master.

Cheers

N
Old 02-08-2006, 03:25 AM

Just found the his web address:-

CavellStudios Mastering

N
Old 02-08-2006, 06:30 AM

Glass masters are not necessarily CD's as they can be Master Tapes (Exibyte)as well. It is what the mastering engineer sends to the duplicator. Just a term, and not something that you will actually see from the times my bands have pressed CD's.

What you really need to do it go to a mastering house, or send your stuff to a mastering facility and let them master it. They will then usually go the extra step and work next to a company that duplicates. Chris Cavell as far as I know does not offer this capabilty. He masters yes, and I have used him before for this.

I usually go to AIRSHOW mastering and use Charlie Pilzer. Then he sends it to OASIS CD duplicators which is in the same building and they do fantastic work.

http://www.airshowmastering.com/

http://www.oasiscd.com/music/

Good luck,

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 02-08-2006, 07:18 AM

MichaelAS,
Just to echo previous posts.."Glass Master" is a part of the replication process. You have absolutely nothing to do with it.
If the material is already processed to your liking, you can use a Red Book authoring/burning application, check for errors and send it off to your broker.
In the event you need to "master" and create the PMCD ( Production Master)..this process is done by a ME ( mastering engineer)
good luck,

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 02-08-2006, 08:25 AM

You might also need to think if you need a barcode assigned to your Cd if you plan to sell it at retail outlets.
If this is a limited run, contact these guys at 12zcd.
They claim to do glass mastering.
I got some samples from them and the reproduction of the art, audio and video they do is very professional.
I don't think they handle the IPC codes (barcodes) but some duplication houses do this also.

My two cents...
Old 02-08-2006, 10:43 AM

Most replicators will add the barcode into the cost. They own a code and that is good for 10,000 names (bands, albums, etc.) per code last time I checked. They assign that to your band and usually just add that onto the charge.

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 02-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Doc,

The "glass master" is NOT just any format, and is certainly never an Exabyte or DDP format. It is literally a glass mold, pits and lands etched by a very powerful laser, used to create the negative stampers for the injection molding process. It is often destroyed in order to remove the stamper. It should also be noted that most plants have phased out Exabyte and DDP as an acceptable delivery format from the mastering engineer. Images, DDP, Exabyte, properly formated and burned CDR's (with boatloads of Quality control) are all media that can be used by a replication factory to manufacture a Glass Master...but none of them ARE the glass master.

To the original poster:

Where are you located in the Midwest? I might be able to recommend a mastering facility or engineer in your area given this information.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 02-08-2006, 04:45 PM

Chris,
I am located in the Kansas City area. Really though, I am not able to afford mastering at this point, so I am just planning to do it myself. I sort of have a DIY label thing going on here. I am actually looking for replication plant recommendations.

Also, you mentioned a properly burned CD is an acceptable delivery medium to the replication plant. What is necessary for the CD to have been properly burned? What information do I need to include besides the properly spaced .wav files?
Thanks
-Michael