Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 04:49 AM

Default Re: DigiLink I/O thing ???

Sure, but OP didn't say anything about PT Ultimate, only trading-in old cards for HDX which means he could very well keep using PT10HD

EDIT: oh, said on his second post. Sorry, only read the top post
Old 01-17-2020, 02:53 PM

Thanks so much for the responses guys (and gals if any-lol)

Ok - so, let me clear some confusion, and also give you all a bit of my hopeful plan which is why I have questions - cause this used to just all work on one purchase.....

Anyway - Yes, I am upgrading/cross-grading or just plain buying Ultimate Software with HDX cards (whichever way I get best deal at time). My goal is to do it as cheap as possible. (obviously). So I was going to get the first HDX card and Ultimate as a brand new package type thing either through trade in or just purchase. THEN I plan to buy used HDX cards to make it a HDX3 (or 2) system.

I already have 5 Prism ADA-8XR's and been using them for a while. So once purchasing the software and cards, it should be plug/play (used to be). Upon research is when I accidentally came across various things talking about this DigiLink concept and my mind was blown. As close as I follow avid and all things Pro Tools especially I thought it was insane that this is such a mystic, never talked about thing.

Now I wanted to explain what I am doing, need to do and want and then see if I can get some solid answers. Hopefully from Avid themselves.

Ok -- so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
A Digilink License is not included with cards AFAIK, one is included with each Avid DigiLink interface... it's a user tax that Avid wanted to charge people who buy third party DigiLink Interfaces.
Thanks for the info Darryl. Just want to rip Avid a new one here cause, talking to Prism, Apogee, and any other company that makes converters to be directly hooked up to HD/HDX cards they all tell me they paid Avid handsomely to be able to incorporate these things into their devices. So lets think about this, Avid charged them 100k+ for the license to offer us that, which now should be a deal directly between the consumer and them other companies that paid for that right... AND thats the way it used to be in the HD and TDM days. BUT now Avid is charging this "tax/fee" thing again to the consumer. So they are getting the licensing/publishing use fee TWICE !!!

Everyone ok with this ? lol We the public control these guys, so we should stand up for this insane communist behavior.

Quote:
none of these DigiLink interfaces will work until you have that license.
Odd, cause I am using one now (and always have used) 3rd party converters with PT and no DigiLink. I am using my Prism Interface via Firewire-->core audio--> Pro Tools. Been working fine.

So do you mean these converters will not work at all, not even 2 channels at a time ? Or do you mean they will work, but are limited to the standard 32ch I/O limit put on PT vanilla until you purchase a DigiLink I/O ?

Quote:
And it's one license per system for all the IO you can eat... that (and more) is all explained on the DigiLink license page on the Avid store.
Ok, if this is true, then its not that bad. But I looked carefully and couldn't see a verification about that anywhere. This subject is sooooo illusive on their website and anywhere in google too for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
But if he buys a Ultimate License I believe it is included in that purchase.

Was for us atleast.
Hey thanks for chiming in Southsidemusic. And awesome for you to clarify that. Quick question, is it a subscription of something you have to pay extra annually after getting it included for free in your Ultimate Software purchase ?

----------------------------
SUMMARY
----------------------------
I have 2 fears and 1 concern.

2 Fears are, 1) is it indeed a subscription ? and 2) I need more than 1 Digilink I/O license for a HDX3 system ?

My 1 concern is, wondering, will my interfaces work if I do NOT have the digilink I/O license but just limit me to 32ch of I/O per card ? Trip on this quote from Avid site:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid Website
"With this license, you can work with up to 192 audio I/O channels with a three-card Pro Tools | HDX system (64 I/O channels per card), or up to 64 I/O channels with Pro Tools | HD Native. This license effectively doubles the maximum I/O for all non-Avid interfaces in your system, compared with using Core Audio or ASIO"
See this wording about "double" and always mentioned "per card", makes me believe without the Digilink I/O license, my interfaces and system will still work, but be limited to 32ch (HALF as half is the opposite of double) of I/O PER CARD. Meaning a HDX3 system could have 96 of I/O without the DigiLink license. Buy the license and that same system has 192 of I/O.

Right ?????
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Any fool can complicate things;
It takes a genius to simplify them

Old 01-17-2020, 03:54 PM

No DigiLink interface will work with Pro Tools HD 12.6 or later without a DigiLink license. I missed we had never said that 12.6 version cutover. It is irrelevant that this working for you now on older versions. If its working on a later version for you with DigiLink then you have one of those licenses hidden somewhere (which has happened for folks). And not work at all is not at all, if I had meant work some way, in stereo, or whatever I would have said that. If you have one DigiLink license on you system... all DigiLink stuff works with Pro Tools HD/Ultimate after 12.6. If you do not have that license, then DigiLink does not work at all with Pro Tool HD/Ultimate 12.6 or later, it's that simple.

Why are you not just call up your dealer and work out with them how to do what you need? as is clear from the mess already in this thread the answer depends on *exactly* what you are purchasing/upgrading.

You are asking questions about stuff that happened and impacted most users here years ago, has been widely discussed on DUC... you should be able to find answers to just about any question yourself by searching for those past threads. not like a lot of folks here were not as annoyed and confused about this as you were... we sure were :-(
Old 01-23-2020, 09:37 AM

Well if you connect the Prism unit via firewire(coreaudio) they should work with any version of the software(if I'm not mistaken) but you will be limited to 32 I/O. Seems like your goal is to have much more I/O so yes you will need to connect the Prism units via digilink connection and will need one digilink license.

I don't think a digilink license is included when buying a new HDX card or the latest Ultimate software but you can double check with Avid. Maybe they can include one being that you want to trade in your old TDM cards. When Avid began using the digilink licenses a lot of users were given a free one in their iLok accounts. Some 3rd party companies also gave you a free digilink license if you bought one of their interfaces for use with Protools. Hell, maybe Prism will give you one free since you own 5 units. It's worth asking.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
Some 3rd party companies also gave you a free digilink license if you bought one of their interfaces for use with Protools.
Are you talking about 3rd party interfaces?

Avid interface purchases include DigiLink I/O license. When Avid came up with this wonderful idea, some of the old interface boxes didn't have the license card included -- but customer was eligible for it, so...
Old 01-23-2020, 11:23 AM

I will ask AVID about the digilink license and when it is included so we have a 100% certain answer to this. Hang tight

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-23-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Are you talking about 3rd party interfaces?

Avid interface purchases include DigiLink I/O license. When Avid came up with this wonderful idea, some of the old interface boxes didn't have the license card included -- but customer was eligible for it, so...

Yes, Focusrite was one of those companies. If you bought one of their interfaces with a digilink connector built-in(for use with protools), they also included a digi-link license from what was advertised. I'm not sure how it was added to your iLok account or if they are still doing it today.

I do feel that this whole digilink license is a B.S. idea but we are sorta limited on options.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
I do feel that this whole digilink license is a B.S. idea
Idea is that Avid makes some money on 3rd party interface sales. Even if the end-user got the license for free, someone else has paid for it. In that case the end user and Avid could care less...
Old 01-23-2020, 06:46 PM

Hi folks, I got a answer from Avid directly finally. I asked several DETAILED questions, so the back and forth went for a bit. Got everything cleared up, and here are the answers.

1) 3rd Party Interfaces WILL WORK with Ultimate without a DigiLink License as long as you are not using a HDX Card too (therefore the digilink ports), but you are limited to 32ch. So a person can indeed buy Ultimate Software and use it with any interface (via firewire, thunderbolt, core audio, etc..) and it will work fine. You will have the entire operation of Pro Tools Ultimate as normal, just limited I/O to 32ch.

The Digilink license is needed the moment you want to connect the interface(s) up via the digilink ports/therefore HDX cards too along with Ultimate software. In this case, yes, oddly they won't work AT ALL unless you have the Digilink license or choose another way to connect your interface(s). As in NO I/O. lol

2) 1 Digilink license will indeed unlock a entire HDX 3 card system

3) Digilink license is not a subscription, its a 1 time charge.

4) The Digilink License is not included in ANYTHING they sell. The only way they offer it for free is sometimes in certain cross grades if the customer is also cross grading to a subscription license of Ultimate. ( I seen this worded very poorly on their website and so it is what made me think maybe the Digilink License is a subscription - hence my questions here)
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]

Old 01-23-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Idea is that Avid makes some money on 3rd party interface sales. Even if the end-user got the license for free, someone else has paid for it. In that case the end user and Avid could care less...
Yes, but the truly disgusting part here (and my point to it) is Avid has charged and got over 100k per company that integrates these ports into their interfaces from the company themselves to be able to use the patented ports in their design.

So wouldn't you agree that there was enough ? I mean they still are selling their software to the user, which in the price alone is already enough to make up for that. To me its just a triple slap in the face to us that want to utilize the physical outs on superior conversion.
www.rouletterecords.com
[email protected]