Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Default HD I/O and Hardware Inserts Issue

Eric Smallwood
[email protected]

Hardware Overview:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B1F
SMC Version (system): 1.71f22

DAW = Pro Tools HDN 10 and 11
I want to use dbx 166a compressor dual mono hardware rack unit on pre recorded tracks as an insert on any track just like using an in the box plug-in! Does anyone have a straight forward answer? And don't try to get deep with me, you'll be disappointed. Just tell me where to put the duct tape and draw me some little stick pictures. Pls & Thx
Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 AM

Default Re: HD I/O and Hardware Inserts Issue

You need to take the outputs of your compressor and come into 2 ins on your hd io as well as 2 outs of the hd io back to your compressor
Old 09-20-2013, 07:29 AM

To expand on that, with inserts, you must go out and come back in on the same input number.

So with your DBX, for example, you would go from outputs 3 & 4 of your interface (HD IO? Omni?) to the inputs of your DBX. Then the DBX outputs would come back to inputs 3 & 4 of your interface.

Then, on a stereo track (can be audio, aux, instrument, or master fader), it's just like selecting a plugin. But instead of selecting "plugin", you select "I/O", and then choose 3 & 4.

This way, it functions like an insert, and goes out to the DBX and back into your interface, just like a plugin. All the same rules apply. So if you have plugins on insert slots 1, 2, and 3, and choose slot 4 for the DBX, then the sound effected by those plugins will go out to the DBX and back in. If slot 1 is the DBX, then the unaffected sound of the track will go out to the DBX and back in, and then that sound will be processed by any plugins in the slots after it. And so on.

Note that all this is assuming you want to use it in stereo mode. In stereo mode, remember on the DBX to select the "Stereo Couple" button, which then allows you to use the controls of side 1 to control side 2 identically.

Alternatively, you can use this unit as 2 independent mono compressors, on two different tracks (make sure "stereo couple" is OFF).

In that scenario, you would choose a mono track, and then do the same thing, choose an insert, select "I/O", and select only "3". Then on another track, you could do the same thing, and select "4". Then you can adjust the controls on the DBX independently for each of these tracks.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM

This will only work with an interface that has a minimum of 4 analog outputs(Mbox regular and mini-it doesn't work). Assuming you have an interface WITH the required IO, in addition to what has been offered already, you will also NEED to manually enter an offset amount for hardware inserts(unless you are inserting across the master track). After all is said and done, you will have spent an hour getting it working, and for what? So you can use a cheap piece of hardware? Probably every compressor plugin you have will match or beat the "performance" of the 166. My 2 cents only, but if I am going through all that trouble, I want to do it for an amazing piece of hardware. Got real 1176's, LA2A's or a Fairchild? I'd do that in a heartbeat. For a 166, or any "music store" outboard gear, plugins win the day Not trying to rain on your parade at all here, just pointing out the hard facts that can be overlooked(especially for those that are new to all this technology)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-20-2013, 01:13 PM

He mentions having HDN. I was assuming he has the hardware as well. But if he doesn't, then what Albee said is all the more important.