Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2013, 12:46 AM

Default How to get 8 channels of XLR Preamps with Omni?

So I am aware that the Omni interface comes with 2 XLR preamp inputs. I am trying to figure out a way to connect external preamps to make 8 XLR inputs total. I am very partial to the UA 4-710D preamp...but that only 4 channels so I would need two more. So just for the sake of this...let's say I got some other 2 channel preamp. How can I connect these to the Omni? Is it possible? I know there are additional 1/4" inputs on the back but the majority of external preamps I like do not even offer 1/4" outputs. I wouldn't even mind coupling the Omni with the Avid PRE preamp if that would work. That has enough channels for me.

I really want to get the Omni but I am afraid I may be limited. I have also been looking at the UA Apollo...and it seems there is a way to connect an external preamp to it via ADAT out and word clock in. I just prefer the Omni over the Apollo so I would hate to make that compromise...but the number of XLR preamp channels is imperative.

So if someone could please explain what the best possible route would be to have the capability of 8 Xlr preamp channels with Omni. I would be very appreciative.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:23 AM

Default Re: How to get 8 channels of XLR Preamps with Omni?

I believe the omni has adat light pipe ,so whatever preamps you use it would have to have a digital adat out to the omni jz
Old 09-20-2013, 07:09 AM

Default Re: How to get 8 channels of XLR Preamps with Omni?

The Omni allows 4 analog line inputs. They are 1/4 TRS line inputs. Most preamps have male XLR line outputs.

Not a problem, because these are the same thing. For each preamp, you just need to use a female XLR to 1/4 TRS cable.

So for the Omni's analog ins, you can use 4 preamps (or a 4 channel preamp, or two 2 channel preamps) into the line ins on the back. For inputs 1 & 2, you would switch the the buttons on the front of the Omni to line instead of mic (this disengages the Omni's own preamps so that you can use other preamps into the line ins on the back).

You could then use a multichannel preamp with Adat outs (like the 4-710D) into the Adat ins. So you could have 8 mic preamps by using the 710, and 4 preamps going analog into the analog line ins (something like the Focusrite ISA 428 would be good).

Keep in mind that the Omni only allows a total of 8 inputs, regardless of whether it's analog or digital. If you need more than that, you may want to choose something else.

Also, you may already know this, but the Omni can only hook up to the computer via some kind of HD hardware, such as HD Native, HDX, or TDM. You must factor this into your purchase as well.

Whereas the Apollo can hook up via firewire or (optional) Thunderbolt card.

Finally, one of the advantages of the Omni is it's excellent analog to digital conversion. You would have that with the analog line ins, but with the Adat inputs, you'd be using the conversion of whatever that unit is (like the 4-710D). The conversion on that unit may not be as good as the Omni's (I haven't heard it, but it's a strong possibility). So you would have two different quality levels of conversion. Granted, this can be subtle, but it's something to be aware of.

If you are wanting more than 4 analog inputs, and are going with an HD system, it may be wiser to get the HD IO 16x16.