Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM

Default Extend selection to grid command?

Hi all,

just wondering today: wouldn't it be nice to have some kind of a "Extend Selection To grid" option (with shortcut?) (assuming that it doesn't already exist). I suddenly missed that today, when arranging things in a song. For several reasons:

- let's say you've got a kick-drum-sample in a region that lasts almost one entire beat; unfortunately it's a little shorter. With the extend selection to grid command you could simply select that kick-drum-region, press the shortcut on which the selection would extend to the next grid value (one beat), press duplicate and you'd have your kick-drum on every beat.
- when you work with loops or work extensively in grid mode, it would be really convenient to make a selection and just go "ah, I need one bar/beat more", extend selection, done, instead of draggin the whole thing up and down with your mouse.

Is this possible and am I overlooking something or is there no such option?

Thanks!
S.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Extend selection to grid command?

Quantize the regions/clips to the grid then use the Extend selection to next region function.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut View Post
Quantize the regions/clips to the grid then use the Extend selection to next region function.

Rail
Hmm, not really what I meant...

Let's put it another way. I select the kickddrumtrack, tab to transient to my first kick-sample, shift+tab to make a selection, nudge selection start, nudge selection ending, press b to separate my kick-region, press option+0 to quantize the region to the grid and then I simply want a key-command to extend my current selection (i.e. my newly created kick-region) to the next grid line so I can immediately duplicate or repeat it to have it (if grid value is one half note) on the first and third beat of every bar.

I'm guessing there is no such command?

Another example, let's say you've made a selection of 4 bars that you want to loop, but you realize you actually need 6 bars. Just ctrl+alt++/- to change the grid value to 1 bar, use the "extend selection to grid" command 2 times and you're done... No needless mouse dragging...

I can imagine there would be all kind of other situations where such a command would come in handy when you work with loops, samples, when you frequently cut/copy/paste on the grid... Other opinions 'bout this?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krolbol View Post

Let's put it another way. I select the kickddrumtrack, tab to transient to my first kick-sample, shift+tab to make a selection, nudge selection start, nudge selection ending, press b to separate my kick-region, press option+0 to quantize the region to the grid and then I simply want a key-command to extend my current selection (i.e. my newly created kick-region) to the next grid line so I can immediately duplicate or repeat it to have it (if grid value is one half note) on the first and third beat of every bar.

I use forward slash a lot. So after I've selected a region, and want to repeat or duplicate it on the grid, I...
  • press "/" three times to go to selection length
  • press "0" (zero)
  • press right arrow to move from bars to beats
  • press "2"
  • press Return
Now you've made the selection 2 beats long, or one half note if you will.

Another example, let's say you've made a selection of 4 bars that you want to loop, but you realize you actually need 6 bars. Just ctrl+alt++/- to change the grid value to 1 bar, use the "extend selection to grid" command 2 times and you're done... No needless mouse dragging...

I can imagine there would be all kind of other situations where such a command would come in handy when you work with loops, samples, when you frequently cut/copy/paste on the grid... Other opinions 'bout this?

Again, forward slash is your friend me thinks...
  • press "/" three times to go to selection length
  • press "6"
  • press Return
The selection is now 6 bars long.

Last edited by Stig Eliassen; 11-12-2011 at 04:29 AM. Reason: True colors...
Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krolbol View Post

There is no command to do that... In my experience it wouldn't help unless your drummer is always late on the downbeat... otherwise you'd have a piece of the next Kick at the loop point... I suggest using the Trim Tool in Grid/Bars & Beats mode...

Edit the top and bottom of the loop using the B to split clip (region), quantize the region with Option+0, use the Trim Tool to extend the clip to the next bar in Grid Mode - check that the end is clean and you don't have any of the next Kick -- if you do there are a few ways to deal with that... I'd probably time stretch a little of the end of the clip to fill the space... Now either consolidate or create a Clip Group of the 'loop' and use the Loop Trim Tool or Loop Clip function to repeat the clip. Do not use copy/paste or duplicate or you'll run into rounding errors.

Cheers,

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 PM

Hey, so you said that there is a command to extend the selection to the next grid line? Coud you let me know? Idk how to do that, or did you just mean extend it by shift clicking?

Last edited by ZdonTheRapper; 03-13-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZdonTheRapper View Post
Hey, so you said that there is a command to extend the selection to the next grid line? Coud you let me know? Idk how to do that, or did you just mean extend it by shift clicking?
You dredged up a 7-year-old thread While I don't have a simple key command to do this, remember that holding the SHIFT key allows you to extend a selection(but wait! There's MORE). Assuming you are in GRID mode, if you also hold the Ctrl key, your extended selection will snap to grid lines

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-19-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You dredged up a 7-year-old thread While I don't have a simple key command to do this, remember that holding the SHIFT key allows you to extend a selection(but wait! There's MORE). Assuming you are in GRID mode, if you also hold the Ctrl key, your extended selection will snap to grid lines
Thanks