Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 PM

Default Digi 003 is sending stereo ADAT outputs as mono summed

With my Digi 003 I'm trying to send 8 channels out via ADAT optical to my mixing board. As far as I can tell -and I have done this before successfully- all the settings are correct. I'm using ADAT outs- not SPDIF- My I/O dialog is correct and all my settings on the fireface are correct according to their literature. But!!!- I am getting all my stereo sends arriving as mono summed signals at my Fireface. Anyone experienced this??- is there a magic summing button that I have overlooked?- Digi 001 was way easier to use than this unit.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Digi 003 is sending stereo ADAT outputs as mono summed

I'm not sure I follow what you have going on, so bear with me.

You're sending 8 channels out the adat outputs? That seems to be working from what I can gather.

How are you feeding the signal to the adat outputs? It sounds like you're using sends on the channels? It also sounds like you're using stereo sends? Have you checked the panning to make sure they're not just all centered?

Can you describe in more detail what you're trying to do and what you're doing to accomplish it?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand the situation.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Shawn

No-Im using Pro Tools to get out to the analag world via adat optical. I am assigning the outputs of the Pro Tools channels to adat 1-2/ 3-4/ 5-6/7-8 This is feeding the Fireface and thus hopefully coming out the analog outs of the Fireface- seems simple eh?_ No- the stereo pairs out of the Pro Tools are somehow being summed to mono so all I see is 4 mono tracks out- Dig?

Shawn

No-Im using Pro Tools to get out to the analag world via adat optical. I am assigning the outputs of the Pro Tools channels to adat 1-2/ 3-4/ 5-6/7-8 This is feeding the Fireface and thus hopefully coming out the analog outs of the Fireface- seems simple eh?_ No- the stereo pairs out of the Pro Tools are somehow being summed to mono so all I see is 4 mono tracks out- Dig?

Shawn

Shawn

Shawn

Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 PM

Sorry for the duplicates
Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 PM

Sorry for the duplicates
Old 07-04-2008, 03:44 AM

When I select the output path on an audio track, I have the choice between ADAT 1-2 (stereo), 3-4 etc. OR ADAT 1 (mono), 2 (mono) etc.. This may appear slightly differently depending on how they are named in I/O setup, but the choices should be similar...

This is the same for stereo and mono tracks.. Not sure what would happen if I picked a mono output for a stereo track but maybe it would get summed?

But anyway, you should be using the mono outputs. When you do , the panner goes away. Makes sense, right? You haven't described it that way so I'm assuming you are choosing the stereo outputs... Something is not making sense, because if you are choosing the stereo pairs, then you would only be able to assign 4 unique pairs to 4 audio tracks..?? You want 8 tracks, 8 mono outputs right? Or do you have 4 stereo tracks? If so then your ADAT stereo pairs should be working as long as your stereo tracks are panned left and right...

Quote:
the stereo pairs out of the Pro Tools are somehow being summed to mono so all I see is 4 mono tracks out
I'm not sure you are explaining this correctly (or fully)... Only 4 analog outputs (from the fireface) are active? Where are you only "seeing" 4 mono tracks?

One way to see what the oo3 is doing with your signals BEFORE the fireface is to make 4 stereo master faders and assign them to the ADAT output pairs. If you are getting 8 discrete channels of activity on the meters, then the problem is outside of protools, maybe in the fireface...

Why are you sending these out to your mixer anyway? Are you planning on doing some analog summing? Unless you have a very nice mixer, then you probably aren't gaining very much by mixing OTB..??