Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-04-2004, 08:45 PM

Default Superclock Require Termination?

Hi. Thanks for looking. I have an Apogee Big Ben. One of the word clock outs is sending superclock to a chain of superclock devices (Apogee AD-8000, two 888I/O's, and two ADAT Bridges). Should I terminate the last device in this superclock chain in the manner that you normally terminate word clock devices (plug a BNC splitter into the word clock in and put the word clock cable into one side of the splitter and a BNC terminator into the other side of the splitter)? I appreciate anyone's thoughts on or experiences with this. I did a search and couldn't find anything.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Superclock Require Termination?

I thought there was something in the manual about self terminating? I have a Big Ben with a couple of superclock outputs and a Rosetta 800. I have never had any problems and never bothered terminating.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Avid

Hi,

You do not have to terminate super clock. We do recommend that you terminate video reference if you are using it.

Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 06-06-2004, 05:04 PM

I have a similar problem.I posted a week ago.
I have Big ben WC out 1 in to RME WC in ,Big Ben WC out 5 in to ADAt bridge WC slave.
RME is hooked up to the ADAT bridge via optical in and out.PTools is set to optical clock. The problem is that in front of the BB where the WC Termination leds are #1/RME/ is green and #5/ADAT bridge/ there is no light at all.The manual says that if it is green the clock is stable,red - bad and if there is no light than there is noghting pluged into it or the ckock not terminated.I talked to a guy from Apogee the other day about the ADAT Bridge and he said that the unit is so old and uses super clock and needs to be pluged into OUT 5 or 6.I still cant get it right.
Sorry for my english.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:47 PM

Thnks for your responses. Valeri, I was told by Apogee that if a termination status LED on the Big Ben doesn't light, that the device attached to that WC out may be un-terminated, or it may also mean that the device does not require termination, and that you have to check with the manufacture of that device to determine if it requires termination, as I just have. My understanding is that some devices have internal termination, and don't require external termination.

Digi, I'd be curious to know if that is why superclock devices do not require termination, or if there is another reason why. Beyond not requiring termination, is there any harm in 'playing it safe' and terminating the last device in a superclock chain? Thanks again everyone for your time.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:34 AM

Valeri. Set Pro Tools to internal clock if you are using the Big Ben. It works for me with an ADAT bridge on 5, an 882 on 6 and a Rosetta 800 on 1.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the reply ROB1 and THIN ICE.
THIN ICE i thought that the whole idea is is to bypass the ADAT clock and use the RME one.I havent tryed this one yet,but i'll give it a try later today and i'll post the results.Don forget that i use 8 IN and 8 OUT of the RME via ADAT optical.Thanks!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 05:34 AM

If ProTools is set to optical, and the lightpipe is coming from the RME to the ADAT Bridge, the clock should be derived from that lightpipe cable. I don't think that the ADAT Bridge will clock from the Superclock input if it has a digital source selected. I haven't used them that much, but thats what makes sense. If it is clocking to the optical input, it should be getting the Big Ben word clock in a roundabout way in that the RME is clocked to the Big Ben and is spitting out clock info along the dig lightpipe.

I can't remember the exact setups, but I don't think that the ADAT Bridge will look at the superclock input unless it is showing that it is a slave device on the front panel.

Since the ADAT Bridge is set to optical, this may be the reason that the Big Ben is not showing any status indicator.