Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 PM

Default Can't use Volume as Designated Audio Drive

I churned up a bit of Google results. Searched here at Digidesign... this is turning into a craptastic challenge.

PT8 003 on XP Service Pack 3

I want to swap out my 500GB Samsung 16MB Cache with a Western Digital 1TB 32MB cache HD.

I copied all my files from said drives. Removed old drive, re-named and re-assigned letter of new drive to match the old one.

I launch PT and try to switch my drive in the Window menu to 'R' (record) and get the "Can't use Volume as Designated Audio Drive" error message.

I've removed Digidesign folders from both HDs (OS and Audio), removed folder from 'Program Files' and then finally removed PT Preferences (to my knowledge that folder is at... Docs and Settings>Digidesign>Erased all of those files).

Still getting the error, I've reformatted my HD twice, rinsed and repeat erasing folders both times, I can't get this new drive up and running.

My old hard drive is back in the computer for a session tonight but I really want to get this new drive in and working due to extra space and cache.

Thanks for reading
-Monty
Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Can't use Volume as Designated Audio Drive

Are you formating NTFS "basic"?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-07-2009, 09:34 PM

I only see NTFS and am using the Quick Format option. Is there another dropdown menu or location for 'basic'.

Thanks for your response.

-Monty
Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 AM

Everything is a craptastic challange w/PT.
I can't think of anything off the top of my head, sorry.....
Old 07-08-2009, 12:27 AM

It's a Dynamic Drive, not basic... It took me a bit to find that out. Now I'm researching how to change it since there are no obvious settings in Computer Management.

EDIT: I can see the option, it's grayed out though!

Thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 AM

How to Convert a Basic Disk to a Dynamic Disk

To convert a basic disk to a dynamic disk:
  1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
  2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  3. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
  4. In the left pane, click Disk Management.
  5. In the lower-right pane, right-click the basic disk that you want to convert, and then click Convert to Dynamic Disk.

NOTE:You must right-click the gray area that contains the disk title on the left side of the Details pane. For example, right-click Disk 0.
  6. Select the check box that is next to the disk that you want to convert (if it is not already selected), and then click OK.
  7. Click Details if you want to view the list of volumes in the disk.
  8. Click Convert.
  9. Click Yes when you are prompted to convert, and then click OK.

NOW IF THE OPTION IS GREYED OUT TO CONVERT TO BASIC...

Right click on the disc, select Delete Volume (of coarse back it up first if their is data on there), then go back to step 5.

Wanted to put this here incase anyone else ran into the same problem I did. My rig works fine now, didn't have to delete PT databases or anything.

Thank
-Monty