Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-20-2009, 08:20 AM

Default Strange installation problem with PT8

I am scratching my head on this one. I just got a new processor (Intel Q9550) and hard drives. Went through my normal process of installing XP. Installed PT8 no problem. But when i go to run it, it hangs on the initial load screen when it gets to structure.dpm.

I also have a copy of Structure LE which i had not yet installed, just wnated to do a dry run to make sure PT8 worked. So i end up installing that to see if it cures the issue, still the same thing. Tried reinstalling several times. Even went as far as switching from AHCI to IDE to see if that made a difference, of course it didnt since its more of a controller behavior thing. I tried the cs2 update and still couldnt get it to start.

Any ideas?

The one thing i think might cause an issue is my main drive is not C:. I have several OSes as i did before, so XP didnt end up with drive C. It never made a difference before though.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 AM
Avid

Default Re: Strange installation problem with PT8

The problem may not be Structure, but another plug-in that's trying to load after Structure, but it never gets to show the plug-in name. You could try removing the Structure components from your plug-ins folder and launch again - that should indicate whether it was actually Structure or not.

Making sure you only have compatible plug-ins installed is a good idea, as well as installing the latest PACE drivers.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy2520 View Post

The one thing i think might cause an issue is my main drive is not C:. I have several OSes as i did before, so XP didnt end up with drive C. It never made a difference before though.
I have seen this cause issues.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I have seen this cause issues.
i was thinking the same thing, but it was like this just two days ago except for a celeron 430 instead of a c2q 9550. Its just because the drive is not plugged into SATA1 and for some reason XP will only assign it C: if it is the first partition it comes to. Vista and Windows 7 dont care and will call their respective boot drives C: no matter what.

Also in XP you cant rename the boot drive so i'm kinda screwed if that is the case.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:40 PM

Yes, if this is in fact the issue,there isn't a one minute fix for it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-20-2009, 05:03 PM

i got it to work, uninstalled structure le and transfuser. Now i just gotta figure out how to get them working again.

Ok, reinstalled Structure, sure enough it froze again. I have been using the "plug-in only" option because i already have all the content on another drive. But i'm thinking it may be broken. I'm going to try the other way. I did use the same option with transfuser so thats the only correlation i'm seeing at the moment.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 PM

Unhappy Re: Strange installation problem with PT8

Hi, I'm new to the forum so you'll have to bear with some of my ignorance. I am running into the same problem with PT8 hanging at the structure plug in. I read on an earlier post where it was mentioned that the plugins were in a folder. I have mine in their own individual folders. Should I move them all into a sub folder under PT8? Will this help? I don't even know what structure does, but for now, I need PT8 to act as good as PT7.4 did. I am running Win XP Pro on an HP laptop with AMD dual core processor, 4 gb memory; M-Audio firewire 410 and a firewire ext drive. My problems started when I downgraded from Vista to XP because Vista gave me hell with PT 8. Did I take the best route? Is there a better way to have dealt with PT8 and Vista?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spy2520 View Post
I am scratching my head on this one. I just got a new processor (Intel Q9550) and hard drives. Went through my normal process of installing XP. Installed PT8 no problem. But when i go to run it, it hangs on the initial load screen when it gets to structure.dpm.

I also have a copy of Structure LE which i had not yet installed, just wnated to do a dry run to make sure PT8 worked. So i end up installing that to see if it cures the issue, still the same thing. Tried reinstalling several times. Even went as far as switching from AHCI to IDE to see if that made a difference, of course it didnt since its more of a controller behavior thing. I tried the cs2 update and still couldnt get it to start.

Any ideas?

Have the same problem. (Pts 8 works without the creative collection) I noticed that c drive becomes fragremented after pts installation. I defragment, clean out all pts files and try to reinstall. After installation, same problem, loads of fragmented files again.This must say something to someone. !?
Old 03-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Post Re: Strange installation problem with PT8

I'm experiencing a variation of this problem w/ Protools M-powered. I also have my PT launch hang when PT is loading Structure.dpm, but if I remove Structure components from the Plug-Ins folder the program then hangs on loading Xpand!.dpm. If I then remove Xpand! components the program then hangs on loading VariFi.dpm....Finally, if I rename my Plug-Ins folder Plug-InsX, and create an empty folder named Plug-Ins (suggested by tech support in a phone consultation) Protools hangs on "Loading plug-ins". This makes it seem like the problem is not something to do with the Plug-ins folder or its contents.
In my case I'm working with a brand-new AMD Phenom quad-core based system, and PT is the only pro-audio software currently installed. I have installed ptmpcs2update, the latest iLok driver, the latest M-audio driver for my Maudio 2496. The system drive is a Western Digital 10000rpm drive. I've been chasing this one for days now, and have wiped my system and reinstalled XP, nothing works.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:49 PM

I have had the exact same experience that spy2520 had. I have never had another recording program do this. I'm on an intel core 2 duo 2.66 with 2 gigs of ram using Windows XP 32 bit. I have reinstalled multiple times, updated the iLok driver, reinstalled my fast track pro driver, and tried the cs2 update with the same results. Unlike some others, it doesn't seem to matter which .dpm files I remove from the plugins directory. It will always hang somewhere. Hopefully someone at digidesign has realized that this is major bug. If I can't figure this out soon, I will probably return Pro Tools and buy Samplitude