Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-22-2019, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools cannot find (all) my aax plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I will actually fly to Europe and do this in person. If Christopher you agree to leave me alone in your studio for 10 minutes with a large suitcase
LOL you want a large container for my cars aswell then

BTW You are more than welcome to come stay here a week or two if you ever find yourself in Scandinavia Darryl

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-22-2019, 08:51 PM

Default Pro Tools cannot find (all) my aax plugins.

Forget Macdrive. HFSExplorer is a free, simple interface for accessing and copying from an HFS+ drive on Windows. If that doesn't work, Paragon's HFS+ is only $20. Either of these should allow access to copying the files over to an NTFS drive. I wouldn't pay for Macdrive if all I wanted to do is a one time copy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 PM

Guys yes, any of us who have been doing this for decades could have solved this in a short while. Lets find out what's really up. It may be too much to have a brand new Windows user uninstall demo software and install another program etc. and not gooch what he has now.. if that is usable at all. And then he has to copy the sessions somewhere, does he have space etc. need to buy another drive? Lets see.

All this frigging stupidity for files that could and should have been copied on a flash stick... this is one reason I hate it when the first response on DUC to folks is get Paragon etc. If folks don't need that ongoing and are getting off mac, then no, hell no, just move the files to NTFS. (Pointing out Paragon, etc. here as useful options here is completely different).
Old 05-23-2019, 01:40 AM

Hi Darryl
Here is the attached file with hard drive information
best Jesper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DISKE.jpg (72.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-23-2019, 11:37 AM

Hi Darryl. First I have to tell you, that I am feeling very safe in your company. Thank you.
I have just put my Data hard drive and Recording hard drive back to my Mac, and it seems like they are working fine here.
So now I will try to read your suggestions once more for getting it proberly from Mac to PC.
Tomorrow a friend will help me making the sisoftware if it still is needed

Thank you so much
Jesper
Old 05-23-2019, 01:33 PM

OK great, making progress. I still want to see your Sandra report, but just with the windows PC disks attached will be fine. That will help decide where to copy the audio sessions from your Mac to.

Since your Mac sounds like it is not going to be used any more the easiest way of copying files is to use a USB Flash stick or another external USB drive. The original on the Mac drive will stay there and you want to keep protecting that drive with care. Hopefully that stick/drive can be big enough to copy over all your session content in one go--will make it easier but not absolutely needed.

Connect that USB stick or external drive to the Windows PC and it should show an exFAT partition, like where it shows NTFS in the screenshot you posted. If it does not then use the Disk Manager to reformat that whole drive, that will irreparably destroy any data on that stick/drive... and the reason I'm having you do this on the Windows PC not the Mac that now contains the only copy of your work, doing it this way means you cannot make a mistake and format the disk containing your work by mistake.

Then insert that stick or drive into the old Mac, and then just drag and drop each of the audio session folders from the hard drive where they are now to the stick/drive. Hopefully you have all your sessions organized so that audio content is stored within each session folder--if not speak up now. Only move audio sessions, not samples or plugins or anything else for now. You need to reinstall plugins and sample libraries etc. from the vendors windows installer as we discussed earlier... and you'll likely get advice there as well once I see the Sandra report.

... Then eject that stick/drive and put it somewhere safe. At least now you have a backup of your sessions, readable about anywhere. Once I see your Sandra report we'll talk about where to put those sessions on your computer.

---

BTW if you don't have a USB flash stick, my current favorite are the SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.1, they seem high quality and are fast (support USB 3.1 gen 1 aka USB 3, but will work on USB 2). Or a larger/higher performance still option is my favorite external USB SSD is the Samsung T5 (they are USB 3.1 Gen 2, but like before will work with a USB 2)--I have three of them at 2GB each sitting on my desk staring at me now. You will likely find either of those extremely handy to have around as external media.

While you have somebody helping you with Sandra, ask them for advice and help with how to backup your PC. Including consider Acronis for making bootable clones and look at options for backups/clones and long term archives of your content. That should include making a copy of all your content in the Cloud on Google Drive, or Dropbox or similar. Your content is not well backed up until you have it in at least three separate places, ideally using multiple different backup mechanisms. Do not rely on SSDs or memory sticks for archival storage. Use (multiple) hard disk drives and the cloud for archives.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-23-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:31 PM

Hi Darryl
Sandra is attached
I have an external hard drive : Seagate Back up plus hub 4 TB – USB3
on Mac : I attached a screenshot of the Recording hard drive content (549 GB). The blue folder ( ALT) you'll see up in the left corner is private things . Should I copy this outside folder to the Recording hard drive, and so it would be the only hard drive I have to convert from the Mac to the PC ,.... if I have to delete my Data hard drive ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Computer report.pdf (161.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 02:34 PM

Here it is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RECORDING HARD DRIVE.jpg (55.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 02:56 PM

Be back with you soon, can you lose everything on that backup drive when it is reformatted? What is on it now? I really do not want you to delete your only other backups to do this... VERY BAD IDEA! Go buy a large flash stick or that T5. At 549 GB this may be easier with a 1 or 2TB SSD like the T5 or any other external USB disk... including your “backup disk” if it is not really have backup on it.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-25-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:11 PM

One you have the drive or stick you are going to use for transfers (again do not delete backups to do this), if that is not already exFAT (many sticks come that way) ... as shown by disk manager then format it as exFAT.... like this.... https://www.thewindowsclub.com/forma...indows-and-mac.

Then eject/safety remove that drive from your Windows PC, connect it to your Mac and drag the session folders to is as mentioned before. Once the copy has finished eject from your Mac. I’ll be back with next steps.