Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-21-2003, 01:27 AM

Default take a stand

us the protools pc nation is being mistreated by all theese mac companies who dont want to bring us plugs like duy,antaresvoice modeling just to name a few but i seriously think we should take a stand and petition these companies unless we are going to develop our own which i think is a far reach
Old 06-21-2003, 11:44 AM

Default Re: take a stand

Mistreated? Give me a break. Any idea how many programs are available for PC and not for Mac?

Besides, most high-end plug-in makers know Mac will regain its dominance in the audio field shortly, once audio core and altivec are finally adopted.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:47 AM

I've heard that most of the plug-in developers do the Mac version first since more Pro Tools users have Macs. Makes sense if you want to sell the largest number of plugs. Then, if the company wants to sell to the PC users, it develops the PC plug. But it may be more difficult to write certain types or processing for the PC especially if you are a Mac programmer.

I'm sure it is just a financial decision as to where to put your assets. Do you re-write a plug for 20% of the market or make a new plug for 80% of the market? Which would you do to keep your company successful?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:53 AM

By La Flange
Quote:
Besides, most high-end plug-in makers know Mac will regain its dominance in the audio field shortly, once audio core and altivec are finally adopted.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Huh!?! When did Mac's ever lose their dominance in the audio field? The great majority of commerical music and post facilities use Mac's. How is that losing their dominance? As for your request 70 bit check out these threads by Carl Fuehrer.

RTAS Petition
Follow UP
Old 06-21-2003, 01:42 PM

Don't limit yourself to RTAS. Overall, I think there are more cool plugins available to PC users than to mac users. Granted you can't run VST or DX plugs in Pro Tools directly, but there are plenty of workarounds.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:29 PM

Park:

Quote:
I'm sure it is just a financial decision as to where to put your assets. Do you re-write a plug for 20% of the market or make a new plug for 80% of the market? Which would you do to keep your company successful?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The one smart thing Steve Jobs did was develop the graphic/audio market before MS. It's the one area despite overwhelming numbers in every other niche that Apple has held on to.

I think at this point it's more physoclogical than anything because PC users here have proven that the PC is not only viable but more cost effective.

Nevertheless, to a developer, business is business and Apples dominate the pros with money to spend by a large percentage. At least for now.

BG was trying to make some headway there with the features released in XP but MAC users are stubborn and loyal (gotta give 'em that much). MS is a LONG way from recapturing that market. In fact I doubt they'll ever do it unless Apple goes belly up for other reasons. As long as there are MACs, MAC users will stick to them in spite of higher prices and less third party options.

There are still plenty of good plugs available for the PC though, albeit not inclusive of all the MAC stuff, including some of the BEST MAC stuff.

IMO, plugs are overused anyway. Some are essential, yes. But the tendancy to over effect everything is just poor producing in my opinion. But that's another thread for another day...
Old 06-21-2003, 07:21 PM

Hello. Hey guys if you go to the links I put in you will find some very interesting info from the plug in manufacturers themselves. The consensus from the Mac companies seemed to be that RTAS on PC is something they may consider, but don't hold your breath. The important part was where I got a response from David Sumich at Digidesign. He went on to tell me that there is an actual hindrance with the PC development tools Digidesign provides to third parties. In other words, it's not easy to do it. Nowehere near as easy as Mac. If you couple that with the fact that almost 100 % of Pro Tools PC sales are LE systems, and market analysis have told these companies time and again that RTAS customers just don't buy a lot. Actually, it tells them they don't buy a lot compared to TDM customers. Anyway, go through those links and you will see everything that went on.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Moore:

IMO, plugs are overused anyway. Some are essential, yes. But the tendancy to over effect everything is just poor producing in my opinion. But that's another thread for another day...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">AMEN, brother.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:33 PM

Oh my God, here we go again: MAC!- PC!- MAC!!- PC!!!

Do yourselves a favour and buy a Mac ánd a PC...
I know I'm going to.
If Mac or PC's were as expensive as a Fairlight CMI... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2003, 08:35 PM

Clarkson:

Read the thread dude. Nobody's arguing PC vs. Mac! Just noting the differences in the development of plugs for the two platforms and why plug developers choose to support the MAC better at this point.