Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 AM

Default Select Button and screen visualization

Hi,

There is one thing that i don't arrive to deal with in an icon configuration.
When i have a big session, it would be very nice when i hit "select" on a track, to have that track on the screen, at the top for exemple, and even have the possibility to choose the size of the track with the select on.
I tried to find any preference on this but never found it.
Is there something i miss ?

thanks
Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 AM

Default Re: Select Button and screen visualization

Many of us have asked just such features. They would be great!! I think the ICON has been neglected in the development process for a while now and I expect to see Avid turn back to it soon, I hope!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 PM

Yes. +100000 on this! Please!
Old 10-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Avid

How about you hold down Ctrl and then select a track on the controller ?

Does that do what you want ? At least as far as bringing the track into view in the edit window goes.

Chris
Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lambrechts View Post
How about you hold down Ctrl and then select a track on the controller ?

Does that do what you want ? At least as far as bringing the track into view in the edit window goes.

Chris
Shame you need the modifier. And it would be great to have the App talk to the desk in this same way.

Thanks Chris.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Shame you need the modifier. And it would be great to have the App talk to the desk in this same way.

Thanks Chris.
Did not know about the ctl select feature. That's great. On the "Soft Keys" section of the D-Command there are "track size" up/down buttons. This affects the selected tracks.

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 11-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Personally this type of implementation would drive me crazy in some situations. I find myself mixing faders against what I'm looking at on screen.
Such as riding a music or atmos stem in between dialogue.

I often use custom fader groups with the pref (show hidden) switched on so I can mix stuff on the console against what Im seeing on screen. If I need to bring the EQ and dyn into the centre section for those faders on my dcommand I wouldnt want them trying to change what Im looking at in the edit window.
It would have to unhide first (!) and it would be quite distracting - in THAT situation. In others it would be helpful.

I love the ctrl modifier (scroll into view) for that reason, as well as using the zoom toggle with "follows selection" pref enabled.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks Chris for that.
I'm going to try it on monday...

I would prefer without the modifier also but i'm sure it would be very helpfull.
I'm working also a lot with custom faders, and generally when i hit the select button, i want to see the track i'm going to work with on the screen.
By the way, i'm working with 2 screens, one for the edit, and the other for the plug-ins so i don't have to hide or unhide anything.

Another thing : is there a quick way on the icon to switch to volume automation on screen and go back to normal ?

thanks again
Old 11-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Another thing : is there a quick way on the icon to switch to volume automation on screen and go back to normal ?
  • Ctrl-Command-and touch the fader for volume automation
  • Ctrl-Command-select for waveform view
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 AM

thanks !