Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Protools LE 7 on Intel Mac Mini. Check this ou

Thanks froyo.

It's nice to know there are other people out there who try to keep an open mind to everything, and can look at things from a variety of angles.

BRH - Steve Jobs decides when OS X will run on a pc. End of Story.

I have to agree with froyo. I truly believe if they decided to do that, that is what would propel them into direct competition with Microsoft. Like I've said before and froyo too, both are good OS's, take you're pick .... AND GET BACK TO WORK.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:01 AM

"Funny thing is WHY would a Mac user have any desire to run XP?"

To run ProTools 7
Old 03-28-2006, 09:11 AM

What Ever.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Froyo - Not to question the validity of your claims regarding stability, but what else do you run on your PC besides Pro Tools?

On another related note - I regularly am able to have Final Cut Pro, Logic, Entourage, Mozilla, iTunes and an FTP program running simultaneously (FCP bouncing out a movie, doing some edits or bouncing from Logic, Entourage to check email, Mozilla to hop to a website when needed, iTunes for background music if everything else is crunching and the FTP program to upload/download files from our server) - can you do that on your PC?

I ask, because I've never even come close. I have yet to see someone come close to doing all that simultaneously on a PC.

As for crashing - well, I can't say my Mac hasn't crashed in 3 or 4 years, but then again, I'm often testing new software, which affects stability. I very rarely get a crash when I'm working on my 'stable' configuration - like maybe once a month or so.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:05 PM

Hello. Yes on those PC's I regularly run many other software. Many times while Pro Tools is open and running. I obviously can't run Final Cut or a recent version of Logic because they are Mac only. But I have had many instances in the past when I have had several programs up and running simultaneously like you mention. Pro Tools, GigaStudio, Audition, Wavelab, etc open with also a browser open as well as an FTP upload or download, iTunes or WMP, etc. No problems. Not one crash. Not even a freeze. All three machines.

Just as a bit of a tangent discussion on crashing, I would be curious to see what people out there consider a stable system. One crash a day? Once a week? Once a month? Once a year? Is two crashes a week a stable system? What does stable mean?

This of course would be assuming heavy daily use. I mention that because I remember an anecdote of talking to a friend of mine some years ago in which he mentioned how rock solid and stable his system was. I worked on his system for a project once and we had about one or two crashes a day or every other day. At one point, I mentioned to him how unlucky we were that his system was suddenly so buggy for the project we were working on. He was kind of surprised at the comment and said that it was just as stable as ever. In his case, he considered a crash once every day or so to be a stable system.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Protools LE 7 on Intel Mac Mini. Check this out!!!

I think this is nobel peace prize winning stuff here. Anytime you can get a Mac and Windows working on the same system is a miracle in action. Imagine what would happen if all the Mac and Windows users all got along on the same board?

I have a boat load of Macs now and most know I've built my share of Windows based machines for PTLE. I have two iMacs torn apart on the table right now with guts all over the place. I really like OSX and it is my favorite OS now for just about everything. But as far as stability goes, the most stable system I have configured is my old AMD 761 chipset, XP 2100 processor overclocked to 2 Ghz running on Win XP SP1. That thing is just solid and would go for a year without crashing. My favorite Mac is my Powerbook G4 but it freezes just about weekly if I use it enough. My worst system is a Toshiba 17" laptop with a P4 2.8Ghz processor. That thing is a dog! Stability of Windows systems are more a function of the chipset and system setup than the OS. I don't have any beef with XP other than it just lacks intuitive style. On the right chipset it is a very stable OS.
Most of the macs we use are iMacs and they don't handle multi tasking that well without sounding like leaf blowers and freezing up. I think the new Intel Duos will put an end to that bottle neck though. The best computers are still the ones you can build yourself. The construction on the iMacs are marginal at best and I find Apple's support to be going down the tubes as they become a giant not able to keep up with their own growth. Just the other day I got some Apple tech support guy from the middle east that couldn't speak english. He ended up sending me the wrong thing for an iMac. He kept wanting me to take it to a service center to get it repaired. Yea right for the same price as a new iMac. No kidding the replacement cost on a midplane for an iMac G5 is 1200.00 without the cost of service to install it. There is something just wrong with this picture. I bought Apple stock and I think they are marketing geniuses. But as far as building quality products, you better be buying that Apple Extended Care Program on everything. Of the 6 iMac G5s we bought in the last year, 5 of them have needed full midplane replacements along with two bad video cards and two burned out hard drives now. Might be a good reason Apple has 24 hour online support for the iMac G5 and for abandoning this processor this year. The move to Duo Intel was a great one, but the move to AMD would have been even better in my opinion. Apple was just trying to appeal to a mass crowd of people and using brand recognition (Intel) in their marketing plan. Even my mom has heard of Intel, but she doesn't have a clue who AMD is.

Allen
Old 03-30-2006, 03:10 PM

Allen, what's up in Sun Valley? Camped along the Woods River a couple of days last summer. Also outside of Stanley, population of 100. You editing for Arnold?

http://www.osx86project.org/index.ph...tpage&Itemid=1
Old 03-30-2006, 03:44 PM

I actually saw a tech news story about how Intel's new strategy will meet and surpass AMD in the 5-10 years, maybe even sooner. Although, I have to admit, AMDs chips are pretty crazy. But, once we get a 64-bit Core Duo, ooh, forget it!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Allen, what's up in Sun Valley? Camped along the Woods River a couple of days last summer. Also outside of Stanley, population of 100. You editing for Arnold?

http://www.osx86project.org/index.ph...tpage&Itemid=1
Lots of snow in Sun Valley right now. We have a good studio in town called Mountain Beach Studios that works with all the celebrities in the area doing live feeds to NYC and LA. I have nothing to do with them luckily.

Allen
Old 03-31-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Just as a bit of a tangent discussion on crashing, I would be curious to see what people out there consider a stable system. One crash a day? Once a week? Once a month? Once a year? Is two crashes a week a stable system? What does stable mean?
Once every few weeks here - only ever had one crash while a session was actually running, somewhere around the Spring of 2004, whereas it runs anywhere from once a day to a few times per week per machine at work, which are all running Windows. What do you think my definition of "stable" is?

BTW, do you think Intel Macs would run Windows 95? It would bring back a lot of happy memories for me!