Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2010, 02:54 PM

Default PT9 H/W Buffer Problems. Any Ideas?

Greetings,

I am a new to the forum and have been trying to find this answer everywhere with no luck. I was hoping someone here might be able to share some knowledge.

I just recently upgraded from PT LE 7.4 to PT 9 on my iMac. I have an Mbox 2 Pro and have done all driver updates as well. Since updating, I am unable to play back any session because I consistently receive the "H/W Buffer Underflow" error. I have tried multiple settings in the playback engine with no luck.

I have clean uninstalled and am running Snow Leopard. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Old 12-12-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Re: PT9 H/W Buffer Problems. Any Ideas?

Hey John -

I've had similar issues. The tip I got was to go to Setup>Hardware> and under clock source switch it to SPDIF, wait till it gives you the error message, switch it back to internal, and your sessions should play without a hitch.

This won't fix it forever; you may have to do it every once in a while and it's pretty annoying, but at least it will get your sessions playing again. 60% of the time, it works every time. . .

Actually it works every time...
Old 12-12-2010, 03:15 PM

Thank you for the quick response. I actually just hooked up my Firestudio Project and it seems to be working without a flaw.

I will definitely try the SPDIF trick the next time I hook up my mbox 2 pro.

Anyone else have any ideas? Has anyone else experienced issues with the new mbox 2 pro drivers?

Thank you all very much for your help, it is very much appreciated.

John
Old 12-12-2010, 03:22 PM

I had this problem on PT 8 too - it's not a new thing. For me, it usually happened when I was opening up a session that had been created on a different computer (not the one I was running the Mbox 2 Pro on)

Supposedly it is an issue unique to the Mbox 2 Pro.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:46 PM

I guess that makes sense. I upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6 and PT 7.4 to PT 9. The previous sessions were created in 7.4.

Does this mean my mbox 2 pro is absolutely useless now? That would be unfortunate. Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:09 AM

A lot of underflow errors used to be caused when combining FireWire 800 & 400 on the same bus.

Is this applicable to your setup?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2010, 02:13 AM

Once had those errors from an mbox 2 pro when the firewire cable developed a fault. If you haven't tried changing the cable already I definitely would give that a go.