Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Kensington Trackball Works

Just a heads up for Trackball users, the new trackball 1.0 software does not include application settings only global settings. I like to have different settings or Pro-Tools, Melodyne, Desektop etc and they have taken that feature out of the driver software making the pro mouse not so pro anymore. So don't upgrade if you need that feature. I contact the sales staff and they told me the beta testers didn't think it was needed.

So if you like their products and you want to keep the full functionality let them know, or suggest a new product for me to use!
Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 AM

Default Re: Kensington Trackball Works

After encountering the same issue, I went back to the version of Mouseworks I was running before installing TrackBallWorks and got the functionality back.

I can't seem to find it on the Kensington site but Apple has it here:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ouseworks.html

IHTH
Old 01-27-2011, 04:05 PM

The old version of MouseWorks does not work on Snow Leopard. Kensington "Trackball Works" is a major step BACKWARD in functionality! Has anyone discovered a workaround for this yet? I used to use the old Mouseworks to re-map my Turbo mouse buttons to switch Pro Tools tools and now I'm really hampered by this missing feature. If enough people contact Kensington about this, maybe they will add this feature in a future release of the Trackball Works software!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Those Kensington software engineers have a history of removing "unnecessary" features. In OS9 Mouseworks would let you use modifier keys in conjunction with the clicks and they removed it on the jump to OS X.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:44 PM

I have the latest version of Mouseworks that does work on Snow Leopard, working great even. V3.0
Old 01-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Mouseworks works great here too on 10.6
Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Using Mouseworks here on 10.6.5 and it works great. I can save preferences for different programs like I used to. I did originally download the track ball driver and it wouldn't save individual settings so I found the Mouseworks driver.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2 View Post
Using Mouseworks here on 10.6.5 and it works great. I can save preferences for different programs like I used to. I did originally download the track ball driver and it wouldn't save individual settings so I found the Mouseworks driver.
Yes, the new "Trackballworks" is terrible. I installed it and hated it. It's 64 bit but they removed the application specific buttons and also the scroll wheel will only scroll vertically - there's no option to change it to horizontal scrolling anymore.

I emailed the company with the problems. The replied that they received my tech submission and someone would get back to me. A week later I think I received a reply saying the they hadn't heard from me so they considered my problem 'resolved'!!

Oh. That's how Kensington fixes their software bugs. They ignore them and the bugs go away.

I installed Mouseworks back in but then it couldn't find the driver. I had to manually remove Trackballworks extension and the preference panel. That worked. Now is all back to normal with OSX 10.6.5.

I do have a couple of people I work with that cannot get Mouseworks going though. One studio just installed 2 new MacPro 8 cores but Mouseworks doesn't find the driver. They tried what I did manually removing Trackballworks but still no go.

Anyone know of an alternative USB driver that will allow you to program the buttons and scroll wheel?

Vince
Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRS View Post
Yes, the new "Trackballworks" is terrible. I installed it and hated it. It's 64 bit but they removed the application specific buttons and also the scroll wheel will only scroll vertically - there's no option to change it to horizontal scrolling anymore.

I emailed the company with the problems. The replied that they received my tech submission and someone would get back to me. A week later I think I received a reply saying the they hadn't heard from me so they considered my problem 'resolved'!!

Oh. That's how Kensington fixes their software bugs. They ignore them and the bugs go away.

I installed Mouseworks back in but then it couldn't find the driver. I had to manually remove Trackballworks extension and the preference panel. That worked. Now is all back to normal with OSX 10.6.5.

I do have a couple of people I work with that cannot get Mouseworks going though. One studio just installed 2 new MacPro 8 cores but Mouseworks doesn't find the driver. They tried what I did manually removing Trackballworks but still no go.

Anyone know of an alternative USB driver that will allow you to program the buttons and scroll wheel?

Vince
Hi Vince,

That's what is happening here. I've re-installed Mouseworks but get an error message. I've uninstalled Trackballworks, and tried to hunt down any preferences, etc., but it still won't work. Interestingly, I found a post on macupdate.com where a user said it took him almost an hour to remove every trace of TrackballWorks from his system. He said there were "LOTS of hidden files left behind by the uninstaller". Any idea how to find those accurately and safely?

Other users in the company have successfully installed MW... I'm so close I can taste it! There must be a way!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Much easier than hunting for files. Just set your machines to boot with 32 bit kernel. Use method two in the link.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773