Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2020, 05:43 AM

Default Importing Mackie Dl32R Multichannel Wav into Pro Tools

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I cannot find the answer - feel free to point me to the thread if it exists.

I have a trial of the latest PT Ultimate and I'm attempting to use it to edit recordings of bands made on a Mackie DL32R recorded direct to disk.

The Mackie creates a 48kHz multichannel .wav file, putting all these tracks into a single .wav file - until it reaches a certain file size, then it creates a second, and a third, and a fourth, etc.

At the end of the show, I will have a series of these files, show1.wav, show2.wav, show3.wav, etc.

You can use tools such as Sound Devices' Wave Agent, or sox (or a super cool front-end someone built for sox Called Audio Demuxer), which will result in these big files being broken into individual track .wavs and then each one of the show2.wav, show3.wav ect, being concatenated with the previous.

I'm hoping to eliminate this step.

PT 12 has no trouble importing a single show1.wav and "exploding" it into the proper tracks.

BUT, I can find no way to automatically add show2.wav's tracks to the end of the first set of tracks.

Can anyone help me with a workflow here?

I'll buy PT in a heart-beat if it can help eliminate the step of splitting and concatting the the recordings.

Thanks in advance for any help!

After I get that figured out, I would love to be able to save as a multi-channel wav that can be used by the mackie!
Old 02-11-2020, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Importing Mackie Dl32R Multichannel Wav into Pro Tools

Not automatic but you can simply drag the next file in behind the previous one in shuffle mode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-11-2020, 11:01 AM

[QUOTE=Top Jimmy;2553781]Not automatic but you can simply drag the next file in behind the previous one in shuffle mode.

Hrmmm I will try again, but I had no luck with it putting the next set of tracks right at the end of the previous. I think it created x number of new tracks if I recall was the result I got.

I'll report back.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2020, 11:41 AM

Does Pro Tools treat the wav file as a single group, or does it import each track as a separate file?

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 02-11-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Does Pro Tools treat the wav file as a single group, or does it import each track as a separate file?
If I create a session and drop the multichannel wav in, it creates separate tracks for each channel in the wav.

It is as if I were to drop a handful of individual wavs into PT.

I haven't been able to fire it up and test it yet because it's a trial and I don't have iLok, so I have to physically be at that machine to use it to test further.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:17 PM

If it treats it as a track group, make the timeline drop orders left to right. If as individual file, select all the files and make the drop order top to bottom.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:11 PM

Wanted to follow up and let you know that if I grab the first multichannel.wav and drop it, then drop the second one in, it DOES place the beginning of track 1 right at the end of track 1 like I want!

I have not found a way to make it snap RIGHT to the end of the first series of tracks on its own, I have to grab them and move them exactly where I need them.

I'm guessing there's a way to have it snap the entire series of tracks right to the end of the 1st series and I just have not found it.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMHoyt View Post
Wanted to follow up and let you know that if I grab the first multichannel.wav and drop it, then drop the second one in, it DOES place the beginning of track 1 right at the end of track 1 like I want!

I have not found a way to make it snap RIGHT to the end of the first series of tracks on its own, I have to grab them and move them exactly where I need them.

I'm guessing there's a way to have it snap the entire series of tracks right to the end of the 1st series and I just have not found it.
Hmm... What you're describing sounds like the serpent eating its tail (beginning of track 1 at the end of track 1).

How about this -
Drag and drop clip 1 from the clip list to whatever spot you like.
Tab to the end of clip 1.
Control+click (Mac) clip 2 in the clip list.
Drag and drop to the timeline. It should be placed at the cursor location.
This works for me with mono and stereo files, I don't use multitrack files.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMHoyt View Post

Do you know about grid, slip, spot, and shuffle? These are the different modes you can put the edit window into. Doesn’t shuffle mode snap it to the end of the previous region?

Old 02-13-2020, 01:48 PM

Nope, but I will check on that now. I have not used PT in years! So everything is all brand new again.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help here....