Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2015, 06:33 AM

Default Re: AVID CORE audio manager Problem

MacDuncan -

Thank you for the directions! This helped me resolve a similar issue where I couldn't run ARC2 (and then realized it was any other DAW). Interestingly, my postgres install for software development (lives in /usr/local) doesn't affect this. Just the davinci resolve one.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:19 PM

Man, I just gotta add a BIG BUMP to this thread!

Yosemite 10.10.4, Pro Tools 11 HDX and still no "fix" for this?

It is so unheard of that we cannot play ANY computer related audio out of the AVID hardware!
Spotify, iTunes / Apple Music, YouTube, Soundcloud, Vimeo, etc. etc. etc.

AVID has removed their primo hardware from the rest of the music "industry"!

This is SO important that 12.2 should have the ability to open a "browser" / App Engine within Pro Tools to enable us to access these "basic" music services in our Pro facilities.
We can access numerous websites, rent / download plug-in's from the Pro Tools Market Place, etc. INSIDE of pro tools...why can't we access iTunes, Spotify, youtube in a APPLE TV-style menu WITHOUT leaving the application?

Anyone listening?

Pro Tools Native finally ditched the "requirement" for AVID Hardware, but on the HD end, we are suddenly orphaned from accessing our daily tools.

Every day I find yet another reason why this is such an important issue.
Mac Pro, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HDX, 2xAlphalink,1xDeltaLink,
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
VENUE SC48 3.2 with iPad Control
SSL Duality
SSL Duality via ipMIDI / ∂elta Automation Plug-In
Old 07-13-2015, 03:19 PM

Hi,

I was having a lot of problems with a variety of software with the same setup...
including the Safari audio playback.
Core audio made Toast, DSP Quattro, and a few others run like crap no matter what you did.
In the end, if you are using a mac, take the digital out of the mac and assign any non Avid outputs to digital outs.
Pretty much eliminate Core Audio from the equation.
We run the digital back to a digital source input on an Avocet and a couple Presonus monitor controllers.
Problems gone, and you can playback multiple software at once by changing sources.
If you need, take the analog audio from the Mac to your mixer or whatever controller doesn't have a digital in.
If you need to go from Toslink to RCA spdif, Monoprice has converters for like $13.

All of my weirdness disappeared.

Big Mac Pro.
Trashcan Mac Pro.
iMac.
Hackintosh.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:28 PM

I like this idea, but between a master clock system and a machine room, there is no good way to switch back and forth easily.

Since the hardware clocks to a Sync HD, a digital OUT from the Mac Pro would suddenly have to be the "master clock" and in the case of the SSL Alpha's, one would need to walk into the machine room and switch them to "internal" clock....

It's really a drag in all respects.
Analog out is unbalanced and would have to arrive 50' away in the patchbay, etc etc.
Mac Mini, os12.6.3, PT 22.12 HD Native + HD Omni, Artist Series Mix x 2, Artist Series MC Transport, Atmos 5.1.4
SSL Duality
Old 07-14-2015, 04:14 AM

Do you need to worry about the sync hd and clocking if you are simply playing back things like Safari from the separate digital output from the mac?
You just need something to plug the digital output into to monitor.
You are really bypassing the hardware.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:31 AM

The interfaces are what output to the analog mixing console, and since they are set to clock to external via the Sync HD, any non-Pro Tools audio will want to playback at its native sample rate (usually 48k for Internet video etc).
Since the Sync HD's sample rate can ONLY be changed by Pro Tools software, one needs to change the interface to "internal sync" and manually set the incoming sample rate to match the Mac.

This isn't terribly difficult, but involves launching audio midi setup to confirm the sample rate, then manually switching the interfaces.
I cannot tell you how many times I have walked into the control room to find Mac audio playing back at the incorrect speed (44.1 being clocked to 48 or vice versa) because someone skipped the step of confirming the sample rate of the audio stream.

Again, it seems that AVID would have a slick way to do this WITHIN pro tools, similar to the way you can audition ANY file via Workspace and / or browse the web via the "Help Browser".

This is NOT a new issue, as I have witnessed this in professional facilities for 15 years: interfaces located in a machine room with front panel clock / SR switches, master clock in the control room, pro tools session set at 48k, but clock / interface still at 44.1.

The more recent development is that we now rely on using the apps / Internet for our music references.
It's no longer like switching to External to play a CD through the speakers, or plug the headphone output of the clients iPod into the console via a transformer DI...now the client DEMANDS that you visit YouTube, Spotify, Soundcloud, iTunes etc to listen to whatever it is they need to reference at that minute.

As an AVID Certified Instructor, I am no longer even able to demonstrate the "Bounce to Soundcloud" feature in our HDx studio unless I run the unbalance headphone output of the trashcan pro to a PCDI and into the console via Mic Pre's.
SSL Duality
Old 07-14-2015, 07:53 PM

Hi,

I hope I'm not misunderstanding you...
but, what would it matter if the other software audio... such as Safari, was not playing back through the Avid hardware...just the digital out, which you could plug an analog to digital stereo adaptor to and run it into your interface/board at the very end of the chain so there are no 50 foot unbalanced runs?
Eliminate the Core Audio..running everything through the Avid hardware cluster F***. (Just having Core Audio messes with certain software)
Of course, leaving the Avid stuff to have its own source.

I run a similar setup, and really don't need to have most things running through Core audio.... or any of them.

Very curious as to why you want/need to.

Again,
Hope I'm not missing something obvious.

Last edited by Bookerv12; 07-14-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 PM

That IS a totally valid solution.
I honestly prefer to keep everything in the chain "equal" as we play a lot of hi resolution / lossless audio from non-PT sources, so having it all come through the same clock / DA converter at line level IS important for use as "reference" / comparison.
Running unbalanced through a bunch of other converters / transformers / signal paths is putting too many variables in place sonicly at the trade off of simplicity in keeping clock / SR in check the other way....
SSL Duality

Last edited by mu-tron-kid; 11-12-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:07 PM

Understood.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 11:48 AM

Does anyone know if this is fixed in PT 12 with Yosemite OR El Capitan?
SSL Duality