Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 06-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Default Difference between "Mirror Analog" and "Rig Outputs"

The Digital outputs can be configured to produce, among other options, "Mirror Analog" and "Rig Outputs". Question: What exactly is the difference between these two options? A block diagram of the unit would really help here...(does anyone know where I can find such a diagram? I don't mean a screen shot of the front panel as is seen in the "What's in a Rig?" section of the User Guide...)

As far as I can tell the only difference between the Analog Output and the Rig Outputs is the level, as controlled by the non-rig-specific "Volume" control on the upper left of the front panel. Are there any other differences?

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Difference between "Mirror Analog" and "Rig Outputs"

The Rig Outputs are just that, the whole rig. Analog is what's coming out of the Main Outs. Are you using the Eleven Rack standalone or with a DAW? If you use it with a DAW you will instantly hear the difference.
  • Mirror Analog
    The same signal that is being sent
    to the Main Outputs will be sent to the digital
    outs.
  • Rig Outputs
    The left and right Rig outputs are
    sent to the left and right digital outputs respectively.

Page 91 of the user manual if you want to read further
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...v90x_71670.pdf

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-04-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
The Rig Outputs are just that, the whole rig. Analog is what's coming out of the Main Outs. Are you using the Eleven Rack standalone or with a DAW?
Neither, actually. It's a second interface with PT; primary interface is a Scarlett 18i20. 11R is out there on the Scarlett's S/PDIF; PT doesn't know about the 11R as a audio destination (i.e. there is no DAW output through the 11R). The only signal the 11R produces at its main analog out is the output of the rig.

So. In this case, what's the difference between "Mirror Analog" and "Rig Output"? The volume control on the front panel?

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 AM

The difference is still the same, but it sounds like either would work for you, though I would probably choose Rig Output since that seems to be what you want for this case.

For the volume knob, that depends on how you have it set. You can change what the Volume knob controls by holding EDIT/BACK and look for Volume Control.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
The difference is still the same, but it sounds like either would work for you, though I would probably choose Rig Output since that seems to be what you want for this case.

For the volume knob, that depends on how you have it set. You can change what the Volume knob controls by holding EDIT/BACK and look for Volume Control.
Rig Output is definitely working fine for my application.

Since I got this awesome piece of gear a month or so ago, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it. I'm still trying to understand the difference between the "Rig Output" and "Mirror Analog" settings when there is no DAW output. It turns out that the volume control - which is configured to modify the main outs - has no effect on the S/PDIF signals in either setting. So I'm still perplexed: what exactly is the difference between the two settings, in the absence of any DAW out signal? Why would you recommend one over the other?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:15 AM

Quote:
The Rig Outputs are just that, the whole rig. Analog is what's coming out of the Main Outs. Are you using the Eleven Rack standalone or with a DAW? If you use it with a DAW you will instantly hear the difference.
  • Mirror Analog
    The same signal that is being sent
    to the Main Outputs will be sent to the digital
    outs.
  • Rig Outputs
    The left and right Rig outputs are
    sent to the left and right digital outputs respectively.

Page 91 of the user manual if you want to read further
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...v90x_71670.pdf

Benoni, on the side, why is it when I track in Pro Tools (through the I button on an audio track) and play guitar I hear the warmest most amazing sound ever coming out of the speakers and when I record it and get to hear the recording, the recording sounds a bit as if the transients are not sharp enough or a bit muffled .... ?? (i am using the Eleven Rack through a SPDIF connection connected to my Apogee Symphony which is my main interface)
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 07-04-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Benoni, on the side, why is it when I track in Pro Tools (through the I button on an audio track) and play guitar I hear the warmest most amazing sound ever coming out of the speakers and when I record it and get to hear the recording, the recording sounds a bit as if the transients are not sharp enough or a bit muffled .... ?? (i am using the Eleven Rack through a SPDIF connection connected to my Apogee Symphony which is my main interface)
I don't know. Could it be that because you are playing your are hearing things differently than listening passively?

Have you tried testing the Eleven Rack set as your MAIN interface and compare?

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-04-2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Could it be that because you are playing your are hearing things differently than listening passively?

Have you tried testing the Eleven Rack set as your MAIN interface and compare?
Hahahaha !! Man that was really it !! and I noticed it yesterday when I really concentrated that actually when you play you also hear the strings of the guitar as well as the sound !! I feel dumb ...

But yea It was the strings we hear when we play that aren't there when we hear what is recorded .... Thank you anyway
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e

Old 07-05-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
Hahahaha !! Man that was really it !! and I noticed it yesterday when I really concentrated that actually when you play you also hear the strings of the guitar as well as the sound !! I feel dumb ...

But yea It was the strings we hear when we play that aren't there when we hear what is recorded .... Thank you anyway
If you like that sound try blending in the dry guitar with the wet. You can record both at the same time with the 11R as you know.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-05-2018, 11:55 PM

Quote:
If you like that sound try blending in the dry guitar with the wet. You can record both at the same time with the 11R as you know.
It's all about warmth and analog feel and tubes ! that BIG sound ... I usually go for a DI Mono Channel, a wet Stereo Channel and a Mic'ed Mono Channel Layered all together ....

How do you record both wet and dry if my eleven is hooked through SPDIF to my Apogee ? should I pick the Split L/R instead of Guitar Rig Outs ?

How do you usually Record the Eleven Rack Tracks when you want them to sit nicely in a mix along with a BIG warm sound ?
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1