Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Notebook Compatibility

I have been going through a harrowing time. My old notebook was 5 years old. Out of sheer paranois (nothing was wrong with it) I bought a new one because I wanted to be sure and get something with windows on it. Lenovo had a T-61 Core 2 Duo at a store for a good price. I bought it. I upgraded from 7.3 to the cs5. When I tried Tools for the first time, the metronome was as if it was on steroids. I posted here and was led to a HOTFIX by Microsoft. I did the fix, made the change in registry, retarted and everything. No luck. Same issue. I even learned how to tame or speed up the processor in registry. Even at the slowest output, the metronome was still jumping all over the place.

I can return the notebook without a problem. As far as Core 2 Duo notebooks with XP are concerned, Digidesign basically lists two HP notebooks as being compatible. Is there anyone who has a Core 2 Duo processor in their Windows notebook and is not having problems? I would be interested to know if there are other notebooks that are not listed on the Digidesign site that work well. My last notebook, a Compaq, was not listed as compatible and I never had a problem with it. And I would be happy to keep it except that it is old and one day I'll lose the backlight or motherboard which would force me into a new one rather than pay a mint for either of those problems.

So, anyone with a Core 2 Duo processor running Tools LE who has had no problems, please let me know about it. OR, if you had the other issue that I had and found a fix, let me know that too.

Thanks,

Basil
Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Notebook Compatibility

I have a Core 2 Duo laptop. I had the same problem with the click/MIDI clock. Installing the hotfix solved my problem.

You did apply this Hotfix?

The only other problems I've heard about that cause MIDI timing problems has been when Pro Tools and/or it's peripherals were not installed into the default location, and one rare instance of a conflict with the video card drivers. Read Phil O'Keefe's solution.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Notebook Compatibility

Yep, that's the HOTFIX. I downloaded and installed. I, then, followed the registry instructions down to putting the "1" in. I rebooted, etc. It worked the first time and I was elated. But when I rebooted it was back to the click on steroids.