Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-04-2016, 12:36 PM

Default Re: The ole 9173 error stronger than ever on PT 12.5

I'm running a brand new top-line Mac Pro 'donut' with 32G RAM, brand new Apollo 16 (new black model), and PT 12.5 suddenly without warning gave me the ol' system max'd out error - "please try removing plug-ins", even though I was running along smoothly at buffer rate 32, and even when I restarted PT and set buffer at 1024 I still get this error. It appears that one processor on my computer is trying to handle all the processing. Odd. I'm not running any Sonnox, but Waves, UAD & PT plugs.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Well i think the problem is not exlusive of sonnox.Plugin allience is another cause of trouble.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:45 PM

same problem here. 12.4 did not have 1 single crash the whole time I had it... 12.5 -9173 the first day I installed it.... sigh.

fyi - no sonnox plugins here so that's not it
UAD Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, UAD Quad Pcie
Apollo Twin Duo,
HDX Card,
2x Avid I/O Analog 16/16,
4x Artist Mix, Avid Dock, PT Control,
2019 Mac Pro 12 core, 48 gig Ram, running Big Sur,
lots of outboard gear
Old 04-04-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
A suggestion if you haven't tried it. Close PT and open Task Manager and see what is going on with your system. Under the Performance tab open the Resource Monitor. You might find an indication of the problem here.
Thanks for the suggestion. Did that. Pretty much a "nothing to see here" scenario. That said I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for other than a process that looks out of place. Everything running is associated with Windows, Avid, Eucon, UAD and Native Instruments although the Artist series controllers are powered down as is ProTools and NI. This amounts to 82 processes, on average 1055 threads and 29100 handles utilizing 3% of CPU and holding on to 12% of memory.
The only bloat I can find in services is an Adobe updater and NI's hardware service because I moved that keyboard to another system. Stopped them both. Will try PT12.5 again and report if that changed anything.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:58 PM

Man,what bugy night.With 2 guitar rigs e 2 waves ssl,no internet or wi fi.A 9173 every 2 or 3 minutes.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:38 PM

Everyone, please help by telling us exactly what interface (and HD/HDX card if applicable) you are running when you see these errors. It will really help when presenting this issue.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Everyone, please help by telling us exactly what interface (and HD/HDX card if applicable) you are running when you see these errors. It will really help when presenting this issue.
I get 9173 errors with the following audio interfaces
Apollo 16 firewire (there's a UAD pci card on the MOBO as well, in case that matters) various buffer settings
Eleven Rack pretty sure the buffer on this is set to 256
Boss tone Studio not sure the buffer on this so its probably the stock default setting
Haven't tried it yet but I have a focusrite Scarlett 18i20 on another system that I could sneaker net over, since I'm not getting anywhere on this rig tonight. Let me know if that'd help. Also for clarity sake, I do not have all audio interfaces powered up at the same time.

Still get errors with all 3rd party plug ins moved to unused folder. I tried disabling cloud collab and app manager but I'm sure I did something wrong so I've got those back now. (disabled in start up but then PT wouldn't load)

Confirmed Optimization> check; Antimalware scan > check; looked for sneaky unwanted background services > check; Ran CCleaner to check registry dead ends > check Moved all my 3rd party plug ins to unused with the intent of bringing them back a few at a time but since I still got 9173 errors they remain in unused > check And of course the single most important troubleshooting item.... cried like a baby asking for help on the DUC > check

I've let task manager run while pt is up and there's no memory hogs but what does happen just before the error is one single core will spike a tiny bit (like say a move from 4% to 12%) and the PT system usage will reflect the same but the total meter jumps to red then out pops the error message. Mind you three out of four cores are barely showing any usage on both the PT meter and task managers meter. Also, there's a corresponding spike on the network graphic inside the task manager when the single cpu core spikes. Hope that makes sense.

Added: For the record; the single core spike made me curious so I also checked bios again to make sure turbo boost and c state remained off... like to make sure there wasn't a secondary profile active or something weird. All checks out.

Last edited by WilliebSR; 04-04-2016 at 10:34 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-04-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
I'm seeing intermittent 9173s on HDX/Omni. System is Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1, 5960X CPU (8 core), 64GB ram, Samsung 850Pro SSD. Titan X GPU, dual Dell 3014 monitors 2560 x 1600 display port. PT 12.5 HD, Eucon 3.3.2, but no Artist devices active at the time. Single Gb Ethernet connection. UAD Octo PCIe. This is a dedicated machine.

I've been testing with small sessions created in PT11 HD. Less than 20 tracks, combination of audio, and may be Vaccum, Boom, and Xpand. 1-5 plugs per track, combination of native, HD, and UAD.

I've tried buffer sizes from 256 up to 1024. Ignore errors on/off, no difference in behavior. Windows resource monitor doesn't show any weird processes going on in the background.

Didn't see these problems in 11.3.1 HD on the prior 4 core W7 machine.

Similar to reports by others, no core is much above 20% (if that much). Total will jump around quite a bit more, but I don't see this reflected in Windows Task Manager.

Also, I see this issue almost always if I have a plugin GUI open and am trying to adjust some parameter. Can be just about any plugin. I use primarily Ozone, Avid, UAD, Waves, Softube (mostly DSP), Plugin Alliance (mostly DSP).

Last edited by TAMBOR; 04-04-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Addtl info added
Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMBOR View Post
I'm seeing intermittent 9173s on HDX/Omni. System is Windows 7 Enterprise SP1, Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1, 5960X CPU (8 core), 64GB ram, Samsung 850Pro SSD. Titan X GPU, dual Dell 3014 monitors 2560 x 1600 display port. PT 12.5 HD, Eucon 3.3.2, but no Artist devices active at the time. Single Gb Ethernet connection. UAD Octo PCIe. This is a dedicated machine.

I've been testing with small sessions created in PT11 HD. Less than 20 tracks, combination of audio, and may be Vaccum, Boom, and Xpand. 1-5 plugs per track, combination of native, HD, and UAD.

I've tried buffer sizes from 256 up to 1024. Ignore errors on/off, no difference in behavior. Windows resource monitor doesn't show any weird processes going on in the background.

Didn't see these problems in 11.3.1 HD on the prior 4 core W7 machine.

Similar to reports by others, no core is much above 20% (if that much). Total will jump around quite a bit more, but I don't see this reflected in Windows Task Manager.

Also, I see this issue almost always if I have a plugin GUI open and am trying to adjust some parameter. Can be just about any plugin. I use primarily Ozone, Avid, UAD, Waves, Softube (mostly DSP), Plugin Alliance (mostly DSP).

Maybe theses are setting you have already tired. With the nVidia 3D settings, these are the settings I have modified from default.

Power Management mode = prefer maximum performance
Thread optimization = OFF
Triple buffering = ON

I run vertical sync = ON. ( this one I am still testing).
Old 04-04-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADIrouting View Post
Maybe theses are setting you have already tired. With the nVidia 3D settings, these are the settings I have modified from default.

Power Management mode = prefer maximum performance
Thread optimization = OFF
Triple buffering = ON

I run vertical sync = ON. ( this one I am still testing).
No, I haven't tried those settings. But since PT isn't a 3D application, how would those settings affect performance? Did you read this somewhere? Or find it through testing?