Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-21-2010, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Problem with sustain pedal still persists on PT 8.0.3

Here is my screenshot of the three ports on 002R

http://stashbox.org/830673/Screen%20...51.14%20AM.png

Chris7514
Old 03-22-2010, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Problem with sustain pedal still persists on PT 8.0.3 (opening from a template)

@DigiTechSupt
Yes, it happens in a template recently created on my current Pro Tools version. (I created brand new session, saved as template, closed session, and then opened from template.)

I am also disappointed to report that the pedal dropout issue, while not as severe as when opening sessions from template, is in fact STILL occurring in brand new sessions. it's happening rather infrequently compared to before, though, which is why i thought the problem was solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Does this happen in a new session template, created fresh with the version of Pro Tools you're currently running?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:14 PM

Fixxer49 !
The MIDI protocol bugs need to be fixed within PT software first, in order to allow sustain pedal 64 messages to register properly, without dropping MIDI notes ring during recording.
It is a major software problem, and honestly : Digidesign in my opinion is fully aware of this.
I think that the problem is so deep and complex, that fixing it would prompt the whole MIDI protocol in PT to be re-written in binary form from scratch ( at least in some areas that cause the problem to occur).
What I understand also is, that Digi can not admit, that such serious bug is a part of existing software protocol, because that is a serious marketing issue. Instead they offer "temporary fixes" suggestions. Well, I still hope that the scientists within Digi division of Avid will get together, and work it out for 8.1 release ( or 8.2 if it's too complex to fix quickly).
PT 8.0.3 MIDI capabilities are awesome, compared to what PT started with back in the late 90's. After the sustain pedal issue is finally fixed ( I believe that it will be at some point), and certain features added ( we all know what needs to be added) PT MIDI software will be in the same league along with Logic, DP, Cubase and the like.
Than one day perhaps the whole entire DUC will be just dedicated to indulging ourselves, and raving about how wonderful DAW environment we all have to work with in PT.
But before it happens... Digi ! Fix the d..n sustain pedal !!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 AM

Cover-up theories aside, one does have to ask:

Why do users with different PT versions and hardware have this particular sustain pedal dropout problem?

Why so many different recommended troubleshooting steps by Digi - none of which have worked in your case Chris, or mine for that matter - to correct what amounts to a basic midi function?

Why is DigTechSupt - who seems to genuinely want to help - not getting back here and following up on this when you've been through all the recommended troubleshooting steps, and requests for screenshots etc., and still have this issue?
Old 04-03-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing?

Most likely the specific MIDI preference trashing info listed in the General Troubleshooting thread (it's in one of the replies) should fix this.

I've heard this complaint tons of times over the years and it's always configuration or corruption issues. I'm not saying there isn't a possible bug here, but I'm pretty good at ferreting them out and I'd really be surprised if that was the case.
If this complaint has been heard 'tons of times' from users with different hardware and software versions then shouldn't it be addressed by Digi as a priority? We've done our part Digi. Chris followed all the steps and we posted screenshots. Still nothing on this?
Old 04-04-2010, 05:23 PM

I have this problem too. I'm on LE 8.0.3cs2 with an Axiom Pro keyboard. The sustain pedal drops in and out at will and it is really driving me mad. Not a happy bunny
Old 04-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by midi sordino View Post
Cover-up theories aside, one does have to ask:

Why do users with different PT versions and hardware have this particular sustain pedal dropout problem?

Why so many different recommended troubleshooting steps by Digi - none of which have worked in your case Chris, or mine for that matter - to correct what amounts to a basic midi function?

Why is DigTechSupt - who seems to genuinely want to help - not getting back here and following up on this when you've been through all the recommended troubleshooting steps, and requests for screenshots etc., and still have this issue?

Mr. Sordino -

In answer to your first question - most likely because problems can occur on any system, any DAW or any OS. Why does my MOTU 828II only work if I power the drive attached to it on first? Why do only some people have that problem and not others?

There are so many recommend troubleshooting steps because there are many possible causes. Obviously we haven't found all of them yet if you have all gone through the steps I've given and are still having problems, so we'll continue to investigate.

As for your 3rd question - I have many duties, the DUC is one of them and I attend to problems here as quickly as I can. There have been a few that trumped this in priority and I've been waiting to hear back from a few other people about possible causes we may be overlooking, their experiences and some info from engineering about what other areas we should look at.

For future reference, if you need definite assistance from support staff, please submit a Tech Support Request Form. My workload can vary quite a bit and can affect how quickly I can follow up on issues brought up on the DUC.

Now, back to this issue.

Is anyone on this thread using anything other than a 002 or 003?

I'm investigating the issue and have a few leads, but I need to know which hardware everyone is using - it will definitely affect my train of thought on possible causes.

Can anyone experiencing this please do a quick test if you ARE on a 002/003 - go to MacHD>Library>Audio>Plug-Ins>HAL and remove the Digidesign Core Audio driver from that folder, then do the following:

Quit out of all open applications.

Trash the following preference files:

1. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist (delete this file)
2. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist (delete this file)
3. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist (delete this file)
4. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist (delete this file)

Empty the trash, restart and test again.

Let me know if this changes anything about the sustain pedal dropouts.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:01 PM

I also love it how DIGI/AVID after hearing tons of times that things work fine in other DAWS that it must be a configuration problem. how can it be a problem in my configuration when i can quit ProTools, load Logic, and have it work perfectly. Stop making excusing and fix something for a change...I love the product. don't get me wrong but some things that go on here are just ridiculous. how many people have to have the same problem before you take action and fix it. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone has this issue but are too dumb to notice or had given up on MIDI in Pro Tools so long ago that they don't even bother trying anymore.

I feel your pain Chris and I too am anxiously awaiting a fix. I have recently purchased Logic Pro in order to avoid some of this crap. Its a sad day because AVID is making it really hard for me to want to give more money to them. very very sad...
Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoemo View Post
I also love it how DIGI/AVID after hearing tons of times that things work fine in other DAWS that it must be a configuration problem. how can it be a problem in my configuration when i can quit ProTools, load Logic, and have it work perfectly. Stop making excusing and fix something for a change...I love the product. don't get me wrong but some things that go on here are just ridiculous. how many people have to have the same problem before you take action and fix it. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone has this issue but are too dumb to notice or had given up on MIDI in Pro Tools so long ago that they don't even bother trying anymore.

I feel your pain Chris and I too am anxiously awaiting a fix. I have recently purchased Logic Pro in order to avoid some of this crap. Its a sad day because AVID is making it really hard for me to want to give more money to them. very very sad...
... right after digitechsupt provided a lengthly and reasonable explanation, and offered more possible fixes. Even asked about hardware, to see if it's only affecting one device.

DTS is probably one of the best voices in this community which, has been said, is NOT the place to get direct assistance from Digi.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-02-2010, 06:35 PM

I would like to outline some of my recent experiences using Omnisphere and the 003 desk as a midi controller which may tie in with this thread.

I using a multi-patch and mixing as I'm recording long sessions (up to 40 mins). Over the sessions, various cc are being randomly added to the list of automations controllers. When 64 comes on board, sometimes it comes on as on. I have to stop and start again. If by a miracle I get a complete pass at the end of 40 minutes I've almost got a complete list of 127 controllers which have been randomly added during that pass. There is something not right....and its not just 64.

Unless, of course, Im doing something wrong which I'm always open to believing. Any suggestions ?

System 8.0.cs3, 003 Factory, OSX 10.5.8, 2.31 Ghz