Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 AM

Default Pro Tools HD 9 with 3rd party interfaces

Hi everyone,

I'm finally considering upgrading my system to TDM HD, but since the launch of Pro Tools HD 9 I got confused about a few details on the new possibilities. I'm picturing a setup that includes:

1) HD 1 Core Accel (or HD 2)
2) 3rd party interface (any) for monitoring (no matter if it's my onboard card or a Lavry)
3) UAD2 Quad
4) Eleven Rack

Does anyone happen to have something similar to that? Will that work? What kind of known issues should I expect from such setup? Can I actually just use any interface instead of a 96io? (sorry, after so long I'm still a bit skeptical about this "hardware independent" new thing from Avid/Digidesign) What about integrating an Eleven Rack to this setup, is it possible to take advantage of all it's features while using it inside a Pro Tools HD environment?

Cheers
Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 9 with 3rd party interfaces

The HD card will be useless without a HD attached interface
So if you use any other interface besides any HD qualified piece of hardware
The HD card will do nothing what so ever

No USB, FireWire, Motu card, etc.. Will access Hd/ TDM
It will only be a Native system using RTAS
For HD the audio MUST route through the HD core no exceptions

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Hey, thanks for replying,
So, could you (or someone else) explain what do they mean when the PT9 Hardware Interface Support page says PTHD9 is compatible with "Any Core Audio- or ASIO-compatible interface" (under Hardware Interface Support)? I thought this meant I could use the Accel cards as DSP processing and access to TDM-only features, but if I still need an HD interface what's the point in adding support to 3rd party interface? Is it for aggregating devices only (like a 96io + a Benchmark DAC1 as the main stereo out)? After all, my idea was to use only a stereo interface/converter (such as the DAC1) with PTHD9 cause I do everything ITB anyway (I really don't need more than 2 or 4 outputs). It would be nice to have all the HD features (like Heat, automation, DSP processing) in my setup.
Sorry for the noob questions, it happens that I'm just learning about the HD world now (been a long time LE user) and before PT9 things were a bit clearer to me: want HD? Then buy an interface and a core card at least! =)
Cheers
Old 08-25-2011, 11:35 PM

Hey there,

"T9 Hardware Interface Support page says PTHD9 is compatible with "Any Core Audio- or ASIO-compatible interface" (under Hardware Interface Support)"

Means in native mode. Sure, you can do this, but you won't be able to use TDM.

However, if you get 3rd party interfaces and install HD cards in them, you are good to go in TDM. There are a lot of converters out there with this option available.

I have a system that combines a few apogee converters (with HD cards installed) and a 192. Using PT9 HD. Very smooth operation.

Best,

Pete Scherr (Hong Kong)
Old 09-03-2011, 12:03 AM

Cool, thanks for the replies. I have one more question though. I've seen some HD Core and Accel cards on eBay which seem to be affordable compared to the ones found in stores. And yes, they're all PCIe. So what's the catch? Why does an HD Core PCIe cost around US$2.5k on eBay and US$8k in stores? Does it all come down to issue of warranty, refurbished/used items or am I missing something else?
Actually, is it really worth buying a TDM HD system nowadays? It seems to be more of an I/O and DSP limitation between TDM HD and Native HD (after all, I can't see Avid not porting HEAT to RTAS in the future anyway), so what do you guys think?

Cheers
Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duuuhhh View Post
Cool, thanks for the replies. I have one more question though. I've seen some HD Core and Accel cards on eBay which seem to be affordable compared to the ones found in stores. And yes, they're all PCIe. So what's the catch? Why does an HD Core PCIe cost around US$2.5k on eBay and US$8k in stores? Does it all come down to issue of warranty, refurbished/used items or am I missing something else?
Actually, is it really worth buying a TDM HD system nowadays? It seems to be more of an I/O and DSP limitation between TDM HD and Native HD (after all, I can't see Avid not porting HEAT to RTAS in the future anyway), so what do you guys think?

Cheers
Buying a TDM system today is for them who is tracking a lot, and also a couple of tracks simultaneously. Are you recording one channel at the time I think you should buy the fastest computer you can afford instead and go native.

The big advantage with TDM is the tracking situation with zero latency and you donดt need to go through the hazzle with an extra monitor/cuemix application to have zero latency.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:08 PM

So..... I have PTHD9 installed on a W7 PC using a Tascam DM4800 over firewire. I don't have any HD cards or other h/w. When I boot PT is has the startup screen that says PT9HD and it has all the surround features.

How can I check which version is running?
Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 PM

What you are running is the equivalent of "regular" PT9 and the Complete Production Toolkit 2. This is how HD9 runs if there are no HD cards hooked up to the computer.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
What you are running is the equivalent of "regular" PT9 and the Complete Production Toolkit 2. This is how HD9 runs if there are no HD cards hooked up to the computer.
Hi nst7,

That's what I read in the various bits of blurb about PT9 but I'd like to know where in the system I can look to verify this - there must be somewhere in the actual application that tells me which version is running on my DAW at that time.

thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 03:33 PM

When you launch PT, the splash screen will say "Pro Tools HD9" if you have the HD ilok asset on a connected ilok, otherwise it just says "Pro Tools 9" if you're using a regular (non-HD) PT9 ilok asset.

The software is the same, there's only one PT9 installer for both HD and regular, the iLok asset determines which version / options gets loaded when you launch the software.

You can also go to "About Pro Tools" from the Pro Tools menu to bring up the splash screen / credits window at any time.