Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 07:50 PM

Default digital distortion

Hey guyz

using LE with an 001, got an Apex 450 tube mic (uses own preamp)

Been recording some demos, just realised my stuff has got a lot of digital distortion in it, and I'm just wondering why. I don't really hear any overt crackles or clicks, but i certainly see them.

i've been reading that the A/D converters in the 001 are kind of dicey. could this be the cause?

thanks B.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:19 AM

Default Re: digital distortion

The converters in the 001 aren't the best in the world but good enough to record with some reasonable results. I still use the 001 but never had problems with them as you descride...
I would lower the output from the Microphone going into the 001 as you maybe overdriving the converters input. If your are recording at 24bit then you can lower you record levels without losing resolution try having your peaks around the-6dB this may look like it's low but it will be a better result... Again check you signal along the path for anything that maybe too hot or overdriving the next stage...
Old 01-23-2004, 06:14 AM

well there's my problem...i've been trying to record as hot as possible, peaks around -1 - 2 (yeah and of course i do go into the red sometimes)

that probably would explain it. thanks a lot. i used to work on TDM system, and this is my first project on the 001, and im a little concerned about the final results (im a songwriter/player NOT an engineer, though doing my best to improve)

in your experience, if mixed down and mastered properly (ie real outboard gear operated by a professional) will stuff recorded on the 001 always sound as such? thanks B.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:27 AM

Nominal level should be -18dbfs. this allows more than adequate headroom for transient peaks and still yields superior audio quailty.

If you ahve say 24 channed sthat are all approaching odbfs(the max usable level) your fader level would need to be in the -15 to -20 range on the channels to prevent overloading the mix buss.

Digital distortion is unlike analog distortion, and is a completely unusable signal. I sugget you loer your gain on the mic, average your signal at -18dbfs, and you'll be fine.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:09 AM

thanks Where...that is helpful. you had experience taking a project through to completion with an 001? what was your feeling about the overall quality? I'm trying to make this demo sound as professional as possible, wondering what you recommend for some one trying do a largely acoustic affair, maybe there is a different A/D converter that i could rent....(i'm not suggesting this doesn't have also to do with my mic technique--i'm learning as im going)

would be grateful for any input B.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:42 AM

Bottom line: the 001 converters suck. Not only is the signal getting hampered going in throough the 001 converters, it gets hampered again coming out of them.

get yourself a decent lightpipe unit, Focusrite Octapre, digimax, etc, and use it for record and playback. You'll be amazed at the difference.

We record everything via the Mackie HDR Pro, and when necessary tranfer trackt to Protools when we exceed 24 (the HDR's limit). we monitor the 001 via an apogee converter, bypassing the 001's. this 2 mix from the apogee gets mixed vai an analog console with the HDR's outs.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:23 AM

Where you rock. Thats exactly the kind info I was looking for.

Thanks. B.