How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-19-2015, 06:15 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Default Blue Cat's Dynamics 4.0 Released

Dear Pro Tools Users,

We are happy to announce the release of Blue Cat's Dynamics 4.0, a complete rewrite of our flexible all-in-one dynamics processing plug-in.

Blue Cat's Dynamics is a full featured dynamics processor capable of acting as a compressor, gate, expander, limiter, waveshaper or all at once, thanks to a unique two-thresholds system. Almost 9 years after the initial release, this new version has been rebuilt from scratch, with a brand new user interface and redesigned algorithms with improved controls. With even more visual feedback with its new envelopes view and gain reduction histograms, the new depth and envelope shape parameters, the plug-in offers full control over the dynamics of the sound. An external side chain input has also been added to propose no less than 3 methods for side chaining. The full list of new features and improvements built into Blue Cat's Dynamics 4.0 is available below (happy AVID S6 owners will be glad to know that the plug-in now supports the included dynamics response display)

The plug-in is available to new customers at a special introduction price until July 15th: $99 or 99 EUR (instead of 149). Customers who recently purchased the software (in the past 3 months) will receive the upgrade for free, and others can upgrade to the new version for a small fee. Additional discounts for other Blue Cat Audio customers are also available.

Demo versions are available for download on www.bluecataudio.com to try the plug-in in AAX, RTAS, Audio Unit, VST and DirectX plug-ins formats, for both Mac and PC (32 and 64-bit).

New Features:
- Fully redesigned algorithms.
- External side chain input.
- Control the attack and release shape of the peak envelope.
- Improved monitoring, with gain reduction and increase histograms and new envelopes view.
- Brand new fully customizable user interface:
-- New look and feel.
-- Show/hide what you need.
-- Meters and curves can now be frozen.
-- Zoomable GR meters and curves.
-- Improved readability.
-- Animated transitions.
-New integrated presets manager:
-- Load/save presets from the plug-in's user interface.
-- Organize presets with folders.
-- Customize the default preset.
-- Exchange presets easily.
-- Load Presets using MIDI Bank Select and Program Change.
-- Copy/paste the plug-in's current state from the presets menu using the system clipboard.
- Automation range and response curve can now be customized for each parameter (in and out).
- Automation and MIDI settings (channel, MIDI learn etc.) are now accessible from the main user interface.
- Audio Suite support for the AAX version for offline dynamics processing in Pro Tools.
- Dynamics response curve is now displayed on the AVID S6 control surface when used with Pro Tools.
Improvements:
- Limiter and output meter now work in L/R mode when the dynamics section is operating in Mid/Side mode.
- New presets to get started faster.
- Plug-in name has been shortened for a clearer display in mixer view for most host applications.
- Plug-in now shows in the "Dynamics" section of most DAWs.
- The windows installer now automatically detects the most appropriate VST install path and remembers where the plug-in was initially installed to simplify upgrades.
- License is now shared between plug-ins types (register only once for all formats).
- Improved value display in fine edit window.
- Improved parameters display and response curves on control surfaces.
Optimizations and Performance Improvements:
- Improved parameters precision (now stored as 64-bit).
- More compact presets format (uses less space and loads faster).
- Smaller binaries on Mac (dropped PowerPC support).
Bug Fixes:
- (RTAS) Fixed parameters control with EUCON control surfaces in Pro Tools.
- Fixed user interface issues in Final Cut Pro X.
- Fixed keyboard stealing issue in Digital Performer 7 on Mac.
- Fixed version number reported to host application for VST and Audio Unit versions.

System requirements:
- Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.5 or newer.
- PC running Windows XP or newer.

Overview Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGNOJLgwz0Q
Old 06-19-2015, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Blue Cat's Dynamics 4.0 Released

If you're a registered owner of other Blue Cat plug-ins, check your email. I was given a discount to $74.

The separate curve controls on this plug-in are fantastic, you can easily get that mini-expansion transfer function that sweeps slightly upward above the knee.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:00 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Glad that you like it!
Old 06-22-2015, 04:13 AM

I'm trying the demo and a little disappointed (or maybe just confused). First thing is the 'brickwall limiter' is NOT a brickwall limiter as the output can go over zero as seen on external metering (BC's own DP Meter Pro). This happens on different material so I don't think it's intersample peaks. Second is no apparent way to set the limit level; I like to set anywheres from .5 to 1 dB below zero. And the third is I see no apparent way to change the width of the M-S processing.

I do like a lot of the other stuff in the plugin but it's these three that are preventing me from buying at this time.

QAPLA!
Old 06-22-2015, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
If you're a registered owner of other Blue Cat plug-ins, check your email. I was given a discount to $74.

The separate curve controls on this plug-in are fantastic, you can easily get that mini-expansion transfer function that sweeps slightly upward above the knee.
Curious - what would this exactly do for audio? I don't know so that's why I'm asking.

QAPLA!
Old 06-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Blue Cat Audio

Quote:
the output can go over zero
It does not process intersample peaks, but the level should indeed not go above 0 when the limiter is on. What kind of levels have you measured at the output of the plug-in?

Quote:
Second is no apparent way to set the limit level; I like to set anywheres from .5 to 1 dB below zero.
In fact this is equivalent to using the limiter at 0 dB and setting the post gain to -.5 or -1dB. That's the way most people use it.

Quote:
I see no apparent way to change the width of the M-S processing.
What do you mean by the width of M-S processing? Width can be controlled in many different ways with a dynamics processor like this one.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
It does not process intersample peaks, but the level should indeed not go above 0 when the limiter is on. What kind of levels have you measured at the output of the plug-in?

In fact this is equivalent to using the limiter at 0 dB and setting the post gain to -.5 or -1dB. That's the way most people use it.

What do you mean by the width of M-S processing? Width can be controlled in many different ways with a dynamics processor like this one.
I understand it doesn't process intersample peaks but what I'm seeing are not intersample peak overs. I've seen levels of +1db and more as measured by DP Pro 4 that stay high (I have DP4 set to a quick reset of the peak readings).

I don't understand your second sentence. Are you saying that if I set the post gain to -1 dB that's what it will brickwall limit to? I tried that and the output can still go well over 0dB. This is not a true brickwall limiter. Most brickwall limiters have a specific control to set the limit.

As to the third paragraph - what I mean by adjusting the width of M-S processing is just that. Every other plugin that I use has obvious ways of adjusting (a specific control) the M-S width. If there's another way of controlling the M-S width in this plugin perhaps you could write on how to do that because it's not obvious at all.

QAPLA!
Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Blue Cat Audio

This is definitely odd. We have not managed to reproduce the problem yet, even when pushing the limiter very hard, as you can see below:

Just in case, are you sure that the limiter is active, and that the post gain is set to 0dB or less? (or maybe that's due to the demo limitation that bypasses the plug-in? Are you maybe increasing the level before the Dynamics plug-in?)

What I meant about the second point is that the limiter will still operate at 0 dB, but so setting up the post gain value sets the max value for the output peak level, so that's roughly equivalent since the level before the limiter is anyway set by the makeup gain. All in all it's the same as setting a threshold for the limiter.

The purpose of the plug-in is to process the dynamics of the signal. So you can indeed modify the M/S width, but not "statically" with a width knob (as you can find in some of our other plug-ins). One way to limit the width for example is to use the plug-in in M/S mode, setup a compression curve, stereo link set to none and activate it only for the sides channel: only the sides signal will be compressed. Another way is to use the mid signal to gate the sides, so that we the center is getting quieter, the sides follow. Does it answer the question?
Old 06-22-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecataudio View Post
This is definitely odd. We have not managed to reproduce the problem yet, even when pushing the limiter very hard, as you can see below:

Just in case, are you sure that the limiter is active, and that the post gain is set to 0dB or less? (or maybe that's due to the demo limitation that bypasses the plug-in? Are you maybe increasing the level before the Dynamics plug-in?)

What I meant about the second point is that the limiter will still operate at 0 dB, but so setting up the post gain value sets the max value for the output peak level, so that's roughly equivalent since the level before the limiter is anyway set by the makeup gain. All in all it's the same as setting a threshold for the limiter.

The purpose of the plug-in is to process the dynamics of the signal. So you can indeed modify the M/S width, but not "statically" with a width knob (as you can find in some of our other plug-ins). One way to limit the width for example is to use the plug-in in M/S mode, setup a compression curve, stereo link set to none and activate it only for the sides channel: only the sides signal will be compressed. Another way is to use the mid signal to gate the sides, so that we the center is getting quieter, the sides follow. Does it answer the question?
To answer paragraph one as I mentioned in my previous response even when I set the post gain to a negative number I still can get outputs higher than 0dB as measure by your own DP4 metering plugin. I am not increasing the levels before the Dynamics plugin when I make level changes; everything is within the Dynamics plugin itself. As a matter of fact I've been working with the supplied resets and enabling the brickwall limiter when it's not enabled in the preset to keep level from going over like the manual says to do. I've had times where the Max Peak in DP4 has gone to +1dB and more.

Answering paragraph two is the same answer I just gave for paragraph one. I can still get levels above 0dB.

As to the third paragraph that is more work than it's worth to try and vary the width of the M-S signal.

It's sad in that I really wanted to like this plugin given the others I have from Blue Cat but it's just not working out, especially given the issues with the brickwall limiter not really being a brickwall limiter in the sense of every other brickwall limiter I've seen or used.

QAPLA!
Old 06-22-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Curious - what would this exactly do for audio? I don't know so that's why I'm asking.
It allows you to raise the apparent loudness of most of the material, while being more transparent for the loudest material. This is really useful for dynamic vocal performances, because it gives a bit of lift to everything but doesn't squash the consonants and louder phrases.

Here's an example of the "curve" I was talking about.