Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-26-2014, 06:02 AM

Default PT 10 & 11 HD Native Thunderbolt not recognised as default Playback Engine

Hi,

Every time I turn on the computer (with all external HDDs and Audio interface fans spinning) I am having to reboot it at least once for Pro Tools to show the HD Native Thunderbolt in he Playback engine list.

I'm following the manual which says to switch on external hard drives, audio interface and computer in that order.

Anyone experiencing this? any solutions out there?

(Running OSX 10.8.5 on a 2013 MacBook Pro with HD Native Thunderbolt + HD I/O.)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:19 AM

Default Re: PT 10 & 11 HD Native Thunderbolt not recognised as default Playback Engine

I'll rephrase this.

HD Native Thunderbolt does not show up in the Playback Engine list when I first boot Pro Tools.

Anyone else losing valuable time every morning having to reboot the computer several times until PT decides to recognise the HD Native Thunderbolt?

System:
MbPro Retina 2013 - OSX 10.5.8
HD I/O 8x8x8 + HD Native Thunderbolt
PT HD 10.3.6 & PT HD 11.0.2 (the problem is particularly bad with PT11)
Old 02-07-2014, 03:34 AM

Default Re: PT 10 & 11 HD Native Thunderbolt not recognised as default Playback Engine

I sometimes do, but it might be my own fault. My HDN goes through Apple TB Display and therefore there are plenty to choose from. And I put my MBP to sleep rather than rebooting. But if PT makes wrong selection i just open playback settings and re-set it to HDN, no biggie.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperez View Post
I'll rephrase this.

HD Native Thunderbolt does not show up in the Playback Engine list when I first boot Pro Tools.

Anyone else losing valuable time every morning having to reboot the computer several times until PT decides to recognise the HD Native Thunderbolt?

System:
MbPro Retina 2013 - OSX 10.5.8
HD I/O 8x8x8 + HD Native Thunderbolt
PT HD 10.3.6 & PT HD 11.0.2 (the problem is particularly bad with PT11)
that sucks... is it a fresh install? you may want to wipe the computer clean and re install drivers / os that should clear it up... i had a similar problem with my HDN, I never wiped the computer when I first got it... and I had old drivers from my 003 on there... Somehow i screwed something up with my 003 to where I couldn't hear sound with Low latency Monitoring when recording... even tho the interface and system as a whole worked fine - when i got HDN that feature never worked, i was puzzled... recently i wiped the computer and decided to try it again with my HDN, and wala the problem was fixed... dont know what it was but sometimes computers are funny like that... also you may want to upgrade to Snow leapard at least, maybe your os isn't fully supported 10.5.8 is pretty old now, i think mountain lion is most stable right now for HDN

btw im reading this on Avids "pro tools 10.3.6 info and downloads page" @ http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-3-6-Downloads

Pro Tools Version 10.3.6 is officially qualified and recommended for:
Pro Tools|HDX systems on Mac OS X 10.7-10.7.5, 10.8, 10.8.2 to 10.8.4 or Windows 7 SP1 (details)
Pro Tools|HD Native systems on Mac OS X 10.6.7-10.7.5, 10.8, 10.8.2 to 10.8.4, or Windows 7 SP1 (details)
Pro Tools|HD Native Thunderbolt systems on Mac OS X 10.7.5, 10.8, 10.8.2 to 10.8.4 (details)

try upgrading to mountain lion, but with a fresh install, wipe your computer clean first, delete all files, then do fresh install of mountain lion and see if it works - btw if you upgrade you might as well go ml 10.8.5 and pro tools 10.3.8 / 11.1.2 thats current right now
Old 02-08-2014, 02:39 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk View Post
also you may want to upgrade to Snow leapard at least, maybe your os isn't fully supported 10.5.8 is pretty old now, i think mountain lion is most stable right now for HDN
Sorry, I got the numbers the other way round! - I'm on 10.8.5. The computer was new when I got PT 10/11 HD so it was a fresh install. The only other thing I can think of is that I have installed the drivers for my old Mbox2 Mini (which I use for secondary monitoring), but the problem persists whether the Mbox is plugged or not...

Ill try a clean reinstall (Mbox-free) when I get the time. Thanks
Old 03-18-2014, 03:10 AM

UPDATE

Haven't tried the clean install yet BUT when I cold-plug the HDN to an already powered up MBP the interface is recognised instantly. This is the total opposite of what Avid recommends, but it works.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:30 AM

Holding down the "N" key when launching PTs allows you to select what audio engine PTs uses.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 07-26-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Holding down the "N" key when launching PTs allows you to select what audio engine PTs uses.
Thanks, just read this... great tip!