Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Default ProTools LE 8 install fail on Mountain Lion; Using Mbox 2 Mini w/o installing PT

I bought the Mbox 2 Mini, which came with ProTools LE 8, a few years ago. My laptop was stolen before I had a chance to install it. I just bought a replacement computer (a late-2011 MacBook Pro 13" w/ Mountain Lion installed), and discovered that ProTools won't install. I get all the way through the installation process until the "Summary" where the error message is:

"The installation failed. The following installation step failed: run preflight script for Application Files. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."

Several hours' search online yielded similar, but not exactly the same results. The closest I could find were issues others had with the same error message, except "Application Files," in their cases, were replaced with the words, "Avid ISIS Client" (solution was to uninstall then reinstall ISIS--a search on my system indicated I didn't have that) or "Pro Tools" (solution was to be sure you're logged in as an Admin, not as a Standard or Root--I am logged in as an Admin).

I have also disabled Gatekeeper on my Mac so I can install my "unofficially supported" version of PT--a workaround I found on Avid's site.

Even though I haven't been able to successfully install PT LE 8, I've still downloaded the update to 8.0.5. I've also downloaded and successfully installed the recommended Mbox 2 mini 9.0 driver.

So I have two questions/issues:
1) How can I get around the error message and get PT to install successfully?
2) Can I use my Mbox 2 mini (with its new driver) as a standalone interface with other audio software like GarageBand without having ProTools installed? Or did that capability go away with the Standalone Digidesign CoreAudio Driver that is incompatible with Mountain Lion?

Thanks in advance for any advice. This is driving me nuts.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Re: ProTools LE 8 install fail on Mountain Lion; Using Mbox 2 Mini w/o installing PT

from what I know, you need 10.3.2 Pro Tools with Mountain Lion

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2012, 11:47 AM

Default Re: ProTools LE 8 install fail on Mountain Lion; Using Mbox 2 Mini w/o installing PT

Right, albe1952, that's the officially supported version, but I have read about many folks who have been able to install PT LE 8 while running Mountain Lion. My question pertains to an error message no one else seems to be getting, or if they are, they're not posting the issue on message boards. I'm hoping someone out there has an insight based on the troubleshooting I've already done.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 AM

Just adding some opinion and keeping the thread up.

I also know that the OFFICIAL compatibility wouldn't certify PT below 10 to work on Mountain Lion, BUT my PT LE 7.4 wasn't also certified to run on Snow Leopard and I'm using it since day one!

This is the first time I read about someone trying to install PT8 on Mountain Lion... my guess here is that people who has PT 8 installed on Lion or other and THEN upgraded the OS can run it because they never had to install PT8 on the new OS. You must find someone that coud do it and ask how.

I'm trying to run PT 7.4.2 on Mountain Lion and the program opens even faster then on Snow Leopard but it says my HD is not a valid audio volume and won't allow me to put it on Record or Playback enabled... even though my HD is on certified list of compatibility from Avid and it runs fine on Snow Leopard. My last try will be to re-format the HD and see what happens!

Well, good luck!
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
MacOS Mojave 10.14

Pro Tools | First
Mbox 2 Mini
M-Audio Micro USB