Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Default Mbox 2 Mini - horrible crackling sound after OSX Mountain Lion

Hey guys, new to the forum. I used to have a Macbook Pro running lion which I used my Mbox 2 mini with and it worked perfectly. The Macbook had problems so apple replaced it for me and subsequentially gave me OSX Mountain Lion without letting me know.

This is an entirely new computer that I'm using, but since I've installed the drivers (via here) and used it with this new computer, it works for a short amount of time before this horrible crackling sound which overpowers the sound. I'm forced to shut off my monitors, take out the USB, put the USB back in, turn on my monitors and then they work fine until shortly after the same problem occurs.

I have no idea why this is happening. I'm thinking it has to do with the drivers that I installed and using Mountain Lion (10.8.2). But I really don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Mini - horrible crackling sound after OSX Mountain Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mmo View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum. I used to have a Macbook Pro running lion which I used my Mbox 2 mini with and it worked perfectly. The Macbook had problems so apple replaced it for me and subsequentially gave me OSX Mountain Lion without letting me know.

This is an entirely new computer that I'm using, but since I've installed the drivers (via here) and used it with this new computer, it works for a short amount of time before this horrible crackling sound which overpowers the sound. I'm forced to shut off my monitors, take out the USB, put the USB back in, turn on my monitors and then they work fine until shortly after the same problem occurs.

I have no idea why this is happening. I'm thinking it has to do with the drivers that I installed and using Mountain Lion (10.8.2). But I really don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have the same problem. I have a new macbook pro and mountain lion 10.8. When i had a PC & Windows Vista, Pro tools was running fine. I bought macbook pro (2.7GHZ & 8 gb ram) and now Pro Tools LE 8.0.5 does not work properly...The crackling noise always comes after 40 seconds and nothing you can do about it. I tried increasing the buffer size to the maximum and the sound still came in. Nothing works...I tried emailing the teacher about this problem and he told me i need asio drivers...I tried searching for asio drivers on mac but they mostly for PC and some people say that you do not need asio drivers on mac because they already have them. I do not know what to do...I am think of buying mbox 3 mini but i am scared that the same thing will happen again
Old 10-19-2012, 10:35 PM

i myself upgraded to 10.8.2 and have a second generation mbox 2 mini. I don't have protools software anymore and was going to use the mbox with logic pro 9 but unfortunately cant get any signal to come out of the mbox. I can hear playback fine with headphones but can't get audio out of it. I downloaded the latest driver and that didnt work. Sucks because I was able to use it on lion and it worked but now it doesn't. Post if you find a solution please!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:41 AM

I just posted this elsewhere, but the new MacBook Pros from 2012 have USB 3.0 ports on them. The MBox 2 series prefers to be attached to a USB 2.0 jack. Use a *powered* USB 2.0 hub, and everything should work fine again.

Good luck,
Goobs
Apogee Quartet, Eleven Rack, 003, Command|8, OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dual-Drive Dock, OWC Mercury Electra 480 GB 6G SSD, OWC Mercury Elite Pro 250 GB 7200 RPM HDD
Old 10-28-2012, 11:38 AM

i think PT 8.0.5 is not compatible with mountain lion 10.8 OSX...

Compatibility Summary

Pro Tools 8.0.5 supports the same Pro Tools core systems as version 8.0.3 and 8.0.4, with the following operating systems:

Mac OS X 10.6.1 – 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard)
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Home or Professional, 32-bit)
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (32-bit)
Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit)
Windows 7 is officially supported with Pro Tools LE and M-Powered 8.0.4 and higher, Pro Tools SE 8.0.3, and Pro Tools M-Powered Essential 8.0.3
Although not officially supported, Pro Tools HD 8.0.5 can be used on Windows 7 (32 and 64-bit). Pro Tools HD 9 adds official support for Windows 7.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Hi guys,
I have the same problem...I have new mac with 10.8.2 and have a second generation mbox 2 mini and a PT LE 8.05.. Some of you suggest to USB powered hub from Belkin. I bought it, but it did not solve the problem. Still terrible noise from Mbox 2 mini...I am gonna crazy...Do you have any suggestions? Help please
(((((
Old 11-10-2012, 03:08 AM

Hi guys!

I got this proplem also! It has been driving nuts for the past week! I research it on Internet , there are 2 option for me now to get it work!
First is getting the USB 2 powered hub!
Second is changing my new MBP USB 3.0 into USB 2.0!
Everyone is saying mbox 2 family doesn't support USB 3.0!!I am going to try the 2nd option later with os 10.7.5 , PT 8.0.5 , mbox 2 mini,New MBP 2.6 quad core!!!

Cheers
Old 01-02-2013, 04:50 AM

Any success with the USB 2 powered hub? I am running into the exact same problem now with my new macbook.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:31 PM

the usb hub is working for me. i'm running a mac mini with usb 3.0, mbox2 mini, pro tools LE 8.0.5 and mountain lion 10.8.2. i had the same crackling i couldn't even finish listening to a song. i updated the drivers. plugged into a belkin powered 4-port usb hub. when i had the hub powered it was giving me wierd jumping in the audio. i just unplugged the power from the hub and bingo. i've been running it for a couple hours last night and a couple hours today everything has been working perfect! hope this helps, i'm real happy i found this thread i wouldn't have tryed a usb hub. THANKS
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 AM

Captain Dane-O, can you tell us the HUB's Brand, Model and any other important info (for example: Hub is plugged on First Left USB)?

I'm almost buying a new Mac Mini and already looking for trouble I might find!

Thanks
Gus
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
MacOS Mojave 10.14

Pro Tools | First
Mbox 2 Mini
M-Audio Micro USB