Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Default Instrument tracks VS Aux tracks+MIDI tracks

I hope this is not redundant, as I haven't found info on previous posts about this.

I'm starting to use PT 7.0 and on my first tests, I don't seem to find anything particular that would make "Instrument tracks" more suitable to instantiate a virtual instrument plug-in as opposed to keep using auxiliary tracks.

One thing I was expecting to see was that MIDI notes would also be muted when an instrument track is disabled, which would make sense, and also helpful when those MIDI tracks have been already printed as audio.

Both MIDI tracks and Instrument tracks seem to provide the same real time processing features.

Certain virtual instruments that would only play in audio tracks on earlier PT versions, now seem to play on either aux or instrument tracks, provided that the track has a hardware input assigned.

Besides, an instrument track only plays one MIDI playlist at a time, which is good for virtual instruments that work as single part instrument, like Plugsound or Xtreme FX, but for the multi-part instruments, like Colossus or Sampletank, there's room for MIDI notes for one part only. Other parts should be sequenced on separate MIDI tracks.

Then... I'm a bit confused. Am I missing anything really important?

Thanks for any feedback!

Rodolfo Fernandez
Old 03-02-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Instrument tracks VS Aux tracks+MIDI tracks

It seems that the instrument track is just a time and space saver, as it combines 2 tracks into one. That really seems to be the selling point.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Instrument tracks VS Aux tracks+MIDI tracks

Thanks for your response DJ.

I've found a use, utilizing instrument tracks to instantiate virtual instrument plug-ins and aux tracks for reverb-delay returns, or submix of other audio tracks. Still, I could do the same with aux tracks only.

Any other ideas or feedback?

Rodolfo Fernandez