Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2009, 10:17 AM

Default Re: AC3 onto DVD?

I just worried wether Toast will keep the mix "as is".

BTW will Toast burn a DTS? Or do I need Adobe Encore for that?

Peter
Old 07-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Toast is just a burning app. It has audio compression capabilities (at least not that I have ever noticed)
So you need other encoding software.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-03-2009, 11:24 AM

Sorry if I stated it not so explicitly as Craig F. Toast will encode only a STEREO mix OR burn from a PRE-ENCODED 5.1 ac3 file (it won't alter the mix if it has been encoded already). For 5.1 Dolby digita lencoding you need a separate program licensed from Dolby, for example Neyrinck Soundcode for Dolby Digital or Apple Compressor. There are lots of threads on this forum or on GS devoted to the software and techniques - just do the search.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2555539/
Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterjk View Post
Forget DTS? That's what I recommende the client, since I find it much better soundin than AC3.

What's the alternative?

Peter
Either 48k/24bit multichannel PCM or work with the Dolby Production Suite (around US $10K). Both DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD can provide lossless. I'd just go with Dolby because broadcast uses Dolby, so you might as well have the whole system.

The audio for Blu-Ray is not the same setup as DVD.
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 07-04-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummerZ View Post
If you need to listen to a discrete 5.1, you'll need to author a DVD using DVD Studio Pro, Encore, etc. Encore will author simple BDs if you're running Windows, don't think it has BD support on Mac yet.
Yes it does...it's had it since CS3 and we're at CS4 now.
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 07-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK Proffitt View Post
Either 48k/24bit multichannel PCM or work with the Dolby Production Suite (around US $10K). Both DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD can provide lossless. I'd just go with Dolby because broadcast uses Dolby, so you might as well have the whole system.

The audio for Blu-Ray is not the same setup as DVD.
What do I need the to put 5.1 channels of lossless (PCM?) audio on a blu-ray?

A $10k production suite? There must be something cheaper? No?

Peter
Old 07-05-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
From a "AC3-newbie":

Once I have encoded a 5.1 mix into a AC3 file, how do I get to play it in a reference system next door in a regular DVD/Blue Ray-player?

Peter
Going back to your 1st question...if you got the ac3 ..you may use apple compressor or dvd pro studio would be better...Done it before, its user friendly(just drag drop it on each channel box) you may choose 5.1 and LTRT then import the quicktime file and burn if all seems ok..then you may proceed into lossless dts or Dolby HD, I assume new versions of Dvd pro has those options already. btw it has also a timeline which you may check the sync prior to burning. HTH
Less is More
Old 07-06-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
What do I need the to put 5.1 channels of lossless (PCM?) audio on a blu-ray?

A $10k production suite? There must be something cheaper? No?

Peter
It's actually a complex question. While Encore handles stereo for Blu-Ray, there have been questions about CS4 and 5.1 LPCM. Here's one from April in a Creative Cow forum:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/892137

"Also, while I'm asking, I've tried importing 5.1 channel .wav audio that I've encoded with Premiere/Media Encoder into Encore CS4 and I get the error "More than two audio channels for this type of encoding is not supported". Is this right? Can Encore really not handle 5.1 LPCM audio? Hopefully I'm just missing something simple. "

No answer to that one so far.

Furthermore, Neil Wilkes mentioned late last year that Encore wasn't importing the DTS lossless format.

Also, DVDiT "Pro", while stating that it transcodes any audio format, actually still fails with LPCM 5.1 (at least, that's the last I've read).

If you really want lossless hi-def 5.1, yes, you'll need the expensive Dolby and DTS packages and furthermore, you'll need something like Sonic's Scenarist to really make the disc.

As has been mentioned here, your best bet is AC3 at the moment, whether on DVD or Blu-Ray, if you want a quick way to hear your mix.

I've been monitoring the DVD list for quite awhile and I've seen no evidence that any of the cheaper (under $50K) authoring packages reliably work, although here's an interesting post from another forum about Sony Vegas:

"You can export 5.1pcm from Sony Vegas (along with your video as a M2V) then use TSmuxer (free download) to mux this over to a Blu Ray folder which will include the M2TS... then use Imageburn (another free downoad) to burn to Blu Ray disk. I have done this a few times now and it works fine."

Strangely enough, although the thread in question is labeled "DVD-A", it's really about a guy who wants this for a film festival disc (DVD-V):

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/blu-ray-a...audio-dvd.html

So it looks like you can kludge it on the PC platform. I've also heard that Vegas makes "compliant" M2Vs, although it's s_l_o_w.
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 07-06-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edboy7 View Post
) if all seems ok..then you may proceed into lossless dts or Dolby HD, I assume new versions of Dvd pro has those options already.

Nope.
www.tnfilmlocations.com