Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2000, 05:43 AM

Default i am strarting to doubt pro tools

As i read all of these listings in the forum i see how many incompatability issues there are with pro tools. This seems very bogus to me. Other companies have managed to make audio interfaces that with work with not just one piece of software, but all. Take motu for instance.... there interfaces will work with just about any proffessional audio software on the market, except for pro tools because they are very snobbish about there work.
I dont understand why there are so many compatibility issues. I work as a programmer myself, and find it very hard to believe that with a little extra effort these driver problems couldnt be fixed.
I dont doubt that pro tools is an extremely proffessional product, possibly even the best...but i very often doubt the company that backs it up, and their bias towards the pc end. Mac users clearly come first, and so do there plugins, and all the other goodies that pro tools offers. I would have bought pro tools by now if Digidesign would just get there act together and start supporting us PC guys more. Dont they get it?
We are the superior race...and i dont mean to argue, but this is a fact. We make up over 90 percent of the computer market. We are the people they should be appealing to. Please digidesign. Give me an answer..i dont want to lose the faith, but it is kind of hard when you leave us PC users dead in the water. Where's our plugins? Where are all of the extras that mAC users get? when u can answer that you'll know where Ill be... sitting behind a pro tools rig. thanks.

------------------
Old 05-27-2000, 12:25 AM

Default Re: i am strarting to doubt pro tools

Yup, frustrating, isn't it? It's quite a pain that nothing works wuite the way it should on a PC. I agree that these issues can be fixed. Other software/hardware seem to work fine on a multitude of differing configurations.

However, Digidesign to the best of my knowlege makes NT versions of all plugins it currently distributes, as does Waves. Other companies like Antares have fallen way short, but thats completely not Digi's fault.
Old 05-27-2000, 03:22 AM

It's amaaaaazing you say I would have purchased it by now.... You have no gripe.. How can digi afford to continue when guys like you sit on the sidelines and complain..

I takes money to run any business and we all are in the business of getting paid..

How or why should companies invest in new products when they can't expect customers...

If you are sincerly in need of PTNT buy if not use the MOTU or some other product and stop belly-aching... No one owes you anything and this is a PTNT forum not a comparison forum.

If you are not a owner or a serious potential owner.. GET OFF THIS SITE, and take your complaning some-where-else.
We don't want to hear it..

We are owners and it works as it was intended..

Old 05-27-2000, 09:44 PM

Ok, Ok Slypolk...

Listen,

I Pro-tools TDM Mix 24 version 5 at work in many studios I visit. I get paid, the studio gets paid, we learn, we do better and faster work thanks to the folks at Digi obviously working their BUTTS off to make the best product possible.

At home I'm a PC guy. [ my buddy says PC stands for "People Crying" ] So it's with the hope that PTNT will ROCK that I say the following:

Mac has always been a more stable, more relyable and more professional bet for one SIMPLE REASON... They test the compatibility of every component inhouse and know how everything works in tandem... That's the luxury of their closed system.

In My world of PC's we're the cowboys on the frontier of incomatibility ambushes

[ie: The new Coppermine x33 pentium III chips suddenly "don't like" Creative 'live' soundcards and creative has to work overtime on a patch... that means E-Mu...a PC recording product...]

And Strunz0 has real dollars to spend and this is big money when you're taking it home!

MOTU and Cubase and Emagic are truely not as stable as Pro-tools Has been...

But things are changing as they always are...

The turning point strunz0, came when The Folks at Apple really stuck it to their supposed friends at AVID last year by releasing a competing EDITING application.

It was then in a justified rage that AVID's policy went toward platform parity.

I for one believe them.

It's going to happen.

It's going to mean the right NT version, The right RAM, the right Drives, the Right Motherboards... In essence I believe we'll want to wait for AVID and DIgi to recommend the best hardware choices but we will get and equally stable and relyable and yes, Professional Protools experience.

But I don't think I'm going to save money.

Good Mac protools means g-4 theses days.

Good PC protools is going to cost too.

So don't do it for the money.

Do it for the platform you prefer and prepare to invest! I look forward to avid's release from their reliance on Apple, more choices and better more stable environments for both platforms.

I've heard that there's a Free version of Protools 3.4 for Windows. If anyone knows how I can get this for my own further research into bringing pro-tools home i'd greatly appreciate it.

good luck Strunz0!

Old 05-29-2000, 07:32 PM

BellStarlings,

You don't know what the hell you're talking about. I would rebut your comments, but I don't have all day to write an essay. I'm going back to work on my extremely stable NT system.
Old 05-29-2000, 09:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slypolk:
It's amaaaaazing you say I would have purchased it by now.... You have no gripe.. How can digi afford to continue when guys like you sit on the sidelines and complain..

I takes money to run any business and we all are in the business of getting paid..

How or why should companies invest in new products when they can't expect customers...

If you are sincerly in need of PTNT buy if not use the MOTU or some other product and stop belly-aching... No one owes you anything and this is a PTNT forum not a comparison forum.

If you are not a owner or a serious potential owner.. GET OFF THIS SITE, and take your complaning some-where-else.
We don't want to hear it..

We are owners and it works as it was intended..

[/QUOTE

So, in you're rainbow little world, we are required to purchase products so that they may be manufactured. "Buy and we will make!"
"Nevermind the fact that the TDM's will not follow."
Come to earth, slowpoke.
Sadly, you have not realised that the NT version is quite dead, compared to it's mates.
I own a PT III and after watching Digi milk their trade in on cards( then resell them as refurbished). I simply had enough....."Let's see, we will give you a 1000.00 credit....then resell the same card for 800.00...plus the original cost. Then charge you for the new card (that should have had the correct chips, in the first place.)
Poke...even you should be able to do the math.
They also offically will not support multiprocessing (SMB). Why??????
Because the AMD and Pentium chips can easily replace their support cards. The background computational processes needed to support the main program are quite small, in comparison to the TDM's.

So I guess this all comes down to that the gentleman you were refering to...is quite right. We should all ban together to push Digidesign to produce and support a better product.
If you have a problem with that, then discussion is not one of your better skills.

Chill

Old 05-29-2000, 10:10 PM

Bell,
Not to take issue with your opinions..but..as I understand it..Avid took a "left turn" when they hired new management who decided to leave the Mac where it was..and go after the NT market with blinders on.

This had nothing to do with Final Cut Pro.

There was a huge resulting backlash..and..the whole NT thing didn't really pan out sales wise..and some of the people responsible for the decisions of taking them down the offering all high end products for NT..and just do upkeep on the Mac side..were fired or reassigned.

Avid since apologized for their "mistake" and are now promising feature parity in the future. Seems they made a bad business move and it cost them.

That was my understanding.

Sorry for the OT post.

dcornutt
Old 05-30-2000, 06:58 AM

I am glad that my topic raised some arguments. This means that i am not alone. And in response to the people who claim that I have to buy it for it to get better...would you buy a car that didn't work just so that they could make it better?
Ya ever heard the expression.. you have to spend money to make money? From what the other people on this topic are saying it seems as though digidesign is charging them left and right. Taking their cards and then reselling them, and making them buy the newer ones instead of doing the right thing and giving it to them. It seems like digidesign is taking advnatage of them. Digidesign knows that they have everyone by the balls once they put that initial money down. After spending 10,000 bucks you would have to invest in the new card, eventhough you already paid for it.
Like i said before. I dont disagree with the fact that pro tools is the best. But for the money they make you pay i think the software should be a bit more compatable. Do they have some kind of special deal with certain hardware companies? I dont understand why one hard drive will work with pro tools and another wont...again I am a programmer and these issues have never risen.
Old 05-31-2000, 01:03 AM

So maybe mister programmer it is your fault that some harddisks are not working, cause not only Digidesign has that problem. The same with Sadie, Soundscape and Sonic.

Regards Wolfgang

------------------
Wolfgang Eller
SRS Mastering/Germany
WWW.SRS-Mastering.de
[email protected]
Old 05-31-2000, 08:04 AM

Wolfgang. No offense or anything, but you are acting like a child. I have nothing to do with the hardware issues...Lets not get started on this because you clearly don;t know what you are talking about.