Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 08-19-2011, 08:17 AM

Default Unable to work on Protools LE 8 with attached LaCie Rugged Safe Portable Drive

Hello,
I bought a LaCie Rugged Safe 1TB portable Hard drive recently. Formatted it to one single 1TB HFS+ type volume.
After connecting the drive through firewire cable to my Mac Pro machine, I am opening the ProTools 8 LE software.
But when from the 'Workspace' of Pro Tools, I try to change the setting of the drive from 'Transfer' to 'Record' or even to 'Playback', the error message comes saying: "LaCie cannot be designated as an Audio Record volume because it is not a fixed, removable or MediaNet volume." What can I do for it to work properly with Pro Tools.
For all other works like transferring/saving data and such, the drive is working fine. Please provide some guidelins.
Thank you.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Unable to work on Protools LE 8 with attached LaCie Rugged Safe Portable Drive

Lacie is such a crapshoot for recording. Also, if it doesn't have an Oxford 9xx chipset, it's going to continue to give you problems.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Avid

Default Re: Unable to work on Protools LE 8 with attached LaCie Rugged Safe Portable Drive

My guess is, because it's using encryption, Pro Tools is not seeing it as a 'normal' hard drive.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 AM

Exclamation Re: Unable to work on Protools LE 8 with attached LaCie Rugged Safe Portable Drive

But then how come other LaCies (like d2 Quadra) are working fine with it!
It is a professional purpose Hard Drive, ment for such kind of works only, so there must be definitely some solution to takle this issue.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishv_26 View Post
But then how come other LaCies (like d2 Quadra) are working fine with it!
It is a professional purpose Hard Drive, ment for such kind of works only, so there must be definitely some solution to takle this issue.
Probably because the d2 Quadra doesn't use AES encryption or some of the other 'features' of the Rugged drives.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:00 PM

Question Re: Unable to work on Protools LE 8 with attached LaCie Rugged Safe Portable Drive

I believe the problem lies in revisions to ProTools LE software, somewhere around version 8.x. I was using my LaCie d2 SAFE external drive (500 GB) as a record volume for years, until I upgraded to PT8. Then it simply stopped working. I spend hours, days, even weeks archiving everything and stripping the drive down so it could be reformatted... all of which proved futile.

Searching the threads, I see others who've had the same issues... it worked before, but not after a ProTools upgrade. I've found many threads and posts that document the problem over and over, but nobody has come up with an answer, other than; "... My guess is, because it's using encryption...".

Huh? Encryption? The only encryption I know of is the fingerprint-sensing security function that locks and unlocks the drive's operation. The drive itself operates just like any other drive, to the best of my knowledge. So, if it worked with ProTools at one time, but doesn't work with later upgrades, I have to assume that the problem lies with ProTools, not with the drive.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Riper View Post
I believe the problem lies in revisions to ProTools LE software, somewhere around version 8.x. I was using my LaCie d2 SAFE external drive (500 GB) as a record volume for years, until I upgraded to PT8. Then it simply stopped working. I spend hours, days, even weeks archiving everything and stripping the drive down so it could be reformatted... all of which proved futile.

Searching the threads, I see others who've had the same issues... it worked before, but not after a ProTools upgrade. I've found many threads and posts that document the problem over and over, but nobody has come up with an answer, other than; "... My guess is, because it's using encryption...".

Huh? Encryption? The only encryption I know of is the fingerprint-sensing security function that locks and unlocks the drive's operation. The drive itself operates just like any other drive, to the best of my knowledge. So, if it worked with ProTools at one time, but doesn't work with later upgrades, I have to assume that the problem lies with ProTools, not with the drive.
How many years were you using the same drive? A spinning drive will eventually fail, one way or another.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515