Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Default Help installing Sample Sounds

Hello again, I was told I can use sample sounds that I downloaded and use them in pro tools. I don't know how to install them or where to put them, can anyone help please? Also is it possible to play these samples on midi for different pitches.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Help installing Sample Sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyDooDoo View Post
Hello again, I was told I can use sample sounds that I downloaded and use them in pro tools. I don't know how to install them or where to put them, can anyone help please? Also is it possible to play these samples on midi for different pitches.
Well a lot depends on what virtual instruments you have to work with. You can import an audio sample of anything to a PT audio track using the Import feature off the menu. If you want to play a sample as an instrument, then you need some kind of sampler virtual instrument that allows you to import your own samples. I believe you can do that with Structure Free, which you may have installed with your version of Pro Tools already...though what system you're using you didn't say.

With any sampling VI, Structure Free or other one, you can simply import a sample, and then assign it to a key or range of keys in order to use your MIDI controller to play the sample via the virtual instrument.

If you can give more info about what you want to do and what you have to work with, maybe we can give you a bit more help.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well a lot depends on what virtual instruments you have to work with. You can import an audio sample of anything to a PT audio track using the Import feature off the menu. If you want to play a sample as an instrument, then you need some kind of sampler virtual instrument that allows you to import your own samples. I believe you can do that with Structure Free, which you may have installed with your version of Pro Tools already...though what system you're using you didn't say.

With any sampling VI, Structure Free or other one, you can simply import a sample, and then assign it to a key or range of keys in order to use your MIDI controller to play the sample via the virtual instrument.

If you can give more info about what you want to do and what you have to work with, maybe we can give you a bit more help.
Thank you for this information I have pro tools 10 and Structure Free sounds like its what I have been looking for. I have a couple of instrument sounds, like 808, hi hats, synths, ect. and just wanted to be able to use them through midi but not importing them into a session since importing a sample is mainly to build on it.
I'll see if I can find Structure Free somewhere if it didnt come with my version of pro tools, ill have to check.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-31-2015, 07:59 AM

If you have PT 10, then you should have Structure Free. If you don't have it installed, check your AVID account, because you SHOULD be able to download the Creative Collection, which includes, Structure Free, Boom, Xpand, DB33, and Mini Grand...5 nice Virtual Instruments. Once Structure Free is installed, you can take your samples and import them to Structure and assign the different parts to specific notes for MIDI in order to play the samples. For more on how to do that, see this video, this video, this video, and this video. These videos will give some basic info and how to for mapping your own samples into Structure Free. Good luck!