Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 10-12-2020, 07:05 PM

Default S1 features without tablet

Hey all,

Out of curiosity, aside from the visual feedback with a tablet, is there any essential features missing if one operates an S1 without a tablet? Would a dock (with tablet) and a S1 (without tablet) be adequate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 06:27 AM

Default Re: S1 features without tablet

You would just lose the meters. Remember only one full Avid Control app in each Eucon system. So your dock would have the full app. The S1's tablets automatically become just the Meters-only version of the app.

And if you don't use a tablet you can just use your DAW meters on your computer screen for audio levels.

And the S1 is fully functional without the tablet - just as you say, extra visual feedback.

On your "adequate" question - very subjective of course - us Artist Mix users never had the meter display but as a Dock/S1 user I have to say I got very use to seeing the audio meters on the tablet on the S1. The slick part is that the meters slave to the S1 so when you nudge and bank around with the S1 buttons, the meters are always aligned to the faders on the S1.

S1 Meter tablets also show you current mini EQ, Dynamics visuals etc per channel.

Last edited by sjgam; 10-13-2020 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgam View Post
You would just lose the meters. Remember only one full Avid Control app in each Eucon system. So your dock would have the full app. The S1's tablets automatically become just the Meters-only version of the app.

And if you don't use a tablet you can just use your DAW meters on your computer screen for audio levels.

And the S1 is fully functional without the tablet - just as you say, extra visual feedback.

On your "adequate" question - very subjective of course - us Artist Mix users never had the meter display but as a Dock/S1 user I have to say I got very use to seeing the audio meters on the tablet on the S1. The slick part is that the meters slave to the S1 so when you nudge and bank around with the S1 buttons, the meters are always aligned to the faders on the S1.

S1 Meter tablets also show you current mini EQ, Dynamics visuals etc per channel.

Thanks for that info. Pretty much confirm my initial thought of a tablet being a visual feedback. I thought there might be an essential feature that I’m overlooking, but it doesn’t seem so.

Thinking of using a dock (with tablet) and two S1 (without tablets) as my configuration. The option to expand faders count, and it’s slimline, less space taking build grabs my attention, than say a dock paired with an S3. Might be the route I’m taking.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philharmonic7 View Post
Thanks for that info. Pretty much confirm my initial thought of a tablet being a visual feedback. I thought there might be an essential feature that I’m overlooking, but it doesn’t seem so.

Thinking of using a dock (with tablet) and two S1 (without tablets) as my configuration. The option to expand faders count, and it’s slimline, less space taking build grabs my attention, than say a dock paired with an S3. Might be the route I’m taking.
And you can always add a tablet at some point if you want to ...

Also you can experiment and try your dock tablet on the S1 and see how much the visual feedback improves the mixing experience.