Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Default HELP! 003 can't communicate with Pro Tools LE

I just purchased (got it about 4 days ago) a brand new 003 which I've connected to a Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 running Mac OS 10.5.8 with 3GB or SDRAM. I installed Pro Tools 8.0.1 onto the G5 (clean install - not an upgrade) and have yet to be able to launch ProTools. Everytime I launch ProTools, I get and error while loading DAE objects of "Hardware not installed or in use by another program"
Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot: I've switched firewire cables (using a shorter cable and not the cable that came with the 003). The G5 does see the 003 (I can go into the Sound preference panel and select Digidesign Hardware 003, audio plays fine through unit). I have made sure, before launching Pro Tools, that the system is NOT using the 003 to output audio. I've even done a clean un-install, then re-installed ProTools without the CoreAudio drivers. None of it seems to work. So, to sum up:

Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 running OS 10.5.8
ProTools 8.0.1cs2 (I tried the cs upgrade to see if it would help)
Firewire 400 rear port (tried front port with same result) is working (can connect Firewire drives to it successfully and System can see 003)
003 Rack (Factory Complete - though I haven't installed anything but the base software yet)
and "Hardware not installed or in use by another program" error constantly appears during "loading DAE objects"

Any ideas?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:50 AM

Default Re: HELP! 003 can't communicate with Pro Tools LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvschlom View Post
I just purchased (got it about 4 days ago) a brand new 003 which I've connected to a Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 running Mac OS 10.5.8 with 3GB or SDRAM. I installed Pro Tools 8.0.1 onto the G5 (clean install - not an upgrade) and have yet to be able to launch ProTools. Everytime I launch ProTools, I get and error while loading DAE objects of "Hardware not installed or in use by another program"
Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot: I've switched firewire cables (using a shorter cable and not the cable that came with the 003). The G5 does see the 003 (I can go into the Sound preference panel and select Digidesign Hardware 003, audio plays fine through unit). I have made sure, before launching Pro Tools, that the system is NOT using the 003 to output audio. I've even done a clean un-install, then re-installed ProTools without the CoreAudio drivers. None of it seems to work. So, to sum up:

Firewire 400 rear port (tried front port with same result) is working (can connect Firewire drives to it successfully and System can see 003)
003 Rack (Factory Complete - though I haven't installed anything but the base software yet)
and "Hardware not installed or in use by another program" error constantly appears during "loading DAE objects"

Any ideas?
Is it a Intel CPU?, if not then maybe that's the problem, check trouble shooting regarding Power PC G5.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 AM

It's definitely not an Intel (as I said, it's a Dual 2.0GHZ PowerPC), but according to the compatiblility grid on Avid's website it should work with 8.0.1 (That's the highest version of Pro Tools that I can go to)
Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Any ideas?
How are you installing Pro Tools exactly? You know that 8.0.1 is only an update, and not the full installer? You do need to install 8.0 first, and make sure you follow the on screen instructions exactly, particularly in regards to when to turn on the 003.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
It's definitely not an Intel (as I said, it's a Dual 2.0GHZ PowerPC), but according to the compatiblility grid on Avid's website it should work with 8.0.1 (That's the highest version of Pro Tools that I can go to)
This might help?
Pro Tools 8 Power Mac G5...WTF??? - Avid Audio Forums
igiTechSupt
Administrator

Re: Pro Tools 8 Power Mac G5...WTF???
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather
I'm assuming it fails with structure free because of the icon on the structure free folder. Because it says script installing you can't see excatly what it's installing?

A fresh install of 10.5.5 made no difference, i have not had a look at the machine since, not quite sure how i'm going to play it from here.

Well, we know this can, or should, work - why some systems are more problematic than others is still a mystery, as there are many possible causes. We have several G5 systems here, as well as on our beta team, working without issues.

Again, you're absolutely sure you've done all the general troubleshooting? Especially important - making sure you do not have firewire networking enabled, especially if you're using a firewire interface or drives.

A clean install of the OS and of Pro Tools 8 (not upgrading with a previous OS or PT version installed) also seems to clear up many issues for a lot of customers (this mainly for others reading this thread).

If you like, we could try an iChat remote session where I could take a direct look at your system and see if I can find anything that could be causing the problems. If you're interested, contact me at vi [at] digidesign [dot] com and we can try to make arrangements.

Help us help you - SERIOUSLY, READ THIS!
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE Windows
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools LE Mac
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools M-Powered Windows
General Troubleshooting - Pro Tools M-Powered Mac
Support FAQ

Old 08-27-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
How are you installing Pro Tools exactly? You know that 8.0.1 is only an update, and not the full installer? You do need to install 8.0 first, and make sure you follow the on screen instructions exactly, particularly in regards to when to turn on the 003.
Actually, I'm installing Pro Tools from the disc that came with my 003. It is a full installer of 8.0.1 (Technically it's an 8.0.3 installer, but as my G5 isn't compatible with 8.0.3 the installer automatically installs 8.0.1 instead)
Old 08-27-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
Again, you're absolutely sure you've done all the general troubleshooting? Especially important - making sure you do not have firewire networking enabled, especially if you're using a firewire interface or drives.

A clean install of the OS and of Pro Tools 8 (not upgrading with a previous OS or PT version installed) also seems to clear up many issues for a lot of customers (this mainly for others reading this thread).
Unfortunately, while similar, I think I have a different issue. I did check the firewire networking (when I saw that note on the Optimizations and Troubleshooting guide I was hopeful) but to no avail.

My next step will probably be to do a complete re-install of the whole computer.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:46 PM

I'm about to return this 003 and go back to my old 001 on an old G4. At least that worked properly. AAAAIIIIGGHHHH!!! I've tried 3 different firewire cables. I've completely wiped my system drive and reinstalled Mac OS 10.5.8. I've installed NO OTHER APPLICATIONS. I've tried just installing the base Pro Tools 8.0.1 software without any added plug-ins (No bomb factory, no creative suite, no Core Audio drivers, no nothin') Still, everytime I try to launch Pro Tools it gives me the same freakin' "Hardware not installed or in use by another program" error. (I haven't even gotten to enter my Authorization Code)
Am I the only one having this problem? Now, on a side note, the quick setup guide for the 003 instructs me not to connect or power on the 003 until prompted to by the installer. However, the installer NEVER prompts me to do so. I've tried connecting and powering on the 003 at every step in the installation process (I've re-installed the software more times than I can count) but nothing seems to work. This is by far the most frustrating ProTools installation I've ever encountered in my 14 years of installing and using ProTools (since the old ProTools 3 days)

What is going on?? Please help me!!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 AM

I have been having the same problem with LE8.0.4 on an:

intel MACMINI Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz/2gb ram/10.5.8/ Complete Prod ToolKit/Digi 003/PT 8.0.4

Everything but the MAC is less than a month old.

I have a PC right next to it loaded with PT and all the silliness in case of crash..because...like it or not..Macs crash too.

Anyway, I was having this issue every time PT decided to crash on the Mac. (Which has been quite a bit) I would switch to the PC and the 003 would be fine, but switching back to the Mac I had this error.

Then I remembered about old PC issue with firewire bugginess and having to power down the motherboard (like disconnect the power after shutdown) and then restart. This is to remove/drain any residual power that was left on the board. I tried in on the MINI and voila..it worked. At least I think that was solving my problem. I cannot think of anything else. There was more than a dozen attempts to get it to work including reinstalling PT from the ground-up, powering down the 003...everything. I knew that my issue was not the 003 because it worked on the PC right away. This was a MAC mini related issue. Anyway...try this workaround if anything else does not work for you and hopefully it will act like a placebo for you too. Either way...firewire is just so 1990's and 003's should have gone USB2.0 a long time ago.

So...to repeat..

1. Power down the MAC/PC
2. Power down 003/002
3. UNPLUG the MAC/PC
4. Restart (in this order... 1. 003/002 2. MAC/PC 3. PT Software

Success? only until the next bug..